Princeton Reverb

Artjr

So many choices. What’s a good model that will take a gain pedal when I’m not playing clean? Do the 12” speaker PRs sound any different than the 10”?

The biggest thing with a princeton reverb and gain is getting one with a speaker that can handle it. Celestions are a good choice as are the ga-sc64s. I would be more concerned about the speaker model than the size between 10 or 12inch.
If you want a nice pedal platform, check out a non reverb Princeton. As for current amps, I think you might like the 68 custom princeton reverb.

This. Great with or with out pedals.

Suhr Hombre.jpg

When I had fender amps (dr & pr), I found the best thing for running dirt pedals in them was an alnico speaker. They would kind of smooth out the response so it didn’t get so ratty sounding when you cranked it up. For playing at home, they would also take some of the bite off of the bright cap. My fav was the Jensen p12q, but it’s a lower sensitivity speaker which might not work if your trying to get max volume out of it.

A 12" in most Fenders sounds considerably better to me than a 10. Weber makes any assortment of great choices, but go Celestion if you're leaning towards dirty sounds. We had a Magic Amps VibroPrince with a 12" Weber that sounded really great, not sure if he's still making them.

http://www.magicamps.com/VibroPrince.cfm

I have a '74 SF Princeton Reverb and the first thing I did was replace the stock 10" Oxford speaker, since it flubs out easily, doesn't handle medium/high gain drive pedals whatsoever (blurting/wooly saturation).
I went back and forth between an 10" Eminence Legend 1058 and Copperhead; in the end I settled for the Legend, since it had a bit more bass, sounded fuller/wider and more balanced. But, looking back, to retain more of the country/rockabilly possibilities, the Copperhead might've been the better choice to remain closer to its origins, while being able to handle drive pedals better.

If I were in the market for the amp itself, I would go for the '68 SF Custom version. Has a Celestion, IIRC.

Back