PSA: Winged C SED Price Increase !!

lordriffenstein":136sstiw said:
Thanks for the heads-up, just ordered a quad from my favorit tube shop in Europe. I also got a quad of Tung-Sol EL34s to test. I already have the SEDs in my old 50watters and these are going in my power amp.

How are you guys biasing them? I seem to remember reading they like to be run a bit hotter than JJs and other brands.

I go by ear, and I have no problems if I end up around as high as 80%. Usually I like the sound a bit more on the colder side though, but it completely depends on the amp. Hot in the Marshall and the Bogner (both around 75-80%), a bit colder in the Steavens (more like 60-65%).

I suggest you trust your ears first. In the rack poweramp, if you wanna go for a bit more poweramp coloring at lower volumes, you might wanna go a bit higher. But I would just leave that multimeter away at first, play and adjust, then read.

hunter":1x3hhh0j said:
lordriffenstein":1x3hhh0j said:
Thanks for the heads-up, just ordered a quad from my favorit tube shop in Europe. I also got a quad of Tung-Sol EL34s to test. I already have the SEDs in my old 50watters and these are going in my power amp.

How are you guys biasing them? I seem to remember reading they like to be run a bit hotter than JJs and other brands.

I go by ear, and I have no problems if I end up around as high as 80%. Usually I like the sound a bit more on the colder side though, but it completely depends on the amp. Hot in the Marshall and the Bogner (both around 75-80%), a bit colder in the Steavens (more like 60-65%).

I suggest you trust your ears first. In the rack poweramp, if you wanna go for a bit more poweramp coloring at lower volumes, you might wanna go a bit higher. But I would just leave that multimeter away at first, play and adjust, then read.

Same here although I have the bias rite ready to check that I´m not running them to hot. I need to check out how hot they are biased in my plexi as my tech did them by checking his scope. Curious to see where they are sitting bias-wise.

donbarzini":1c33ptyp said:
mid-scooped metal tubes, I'll take JJ EL34L's any day over them. I know Dave is being sarcastic though, I'm not.

I like the JJ EL34 as well, if I could only get a quad that doesn't make crackling sounds.

donbarzini":1b6e7htb said:
FortinAmps":1b6e7htb said:
donbarzini":1b6e7htb said:
mid-scooped metal tubes, I'll take JJ EL34L's any day over them. I know Dave is being sarcastic though, I'm not.

I like the JJ EL34 as well, if I could only get a quad that doesn't make crackling sounds.

not from the tubes :LOL: :LOL:

I knew I was wearing the wrong kind of marble bag speedos :no:

I'm using some of those second factory winged C's
bought a matched quad a few months ago from tube depot for $40 I think
no problem till now and they sound pretty much the same as the other winged C's I have
but I'd never pay US$89 a pair no matter how much more reliable they could get

ericsabbath":3tnyuojj said:
I'm using some of those second factory winged C's
bought a matched quad a few months ago from tube depot for $40 I think
no problem till now and they sound pretty much the same as the other winged C's I have
but I'd never pay US$89 a pair no matter how much more reliable they could get

With that $89 a pair price = no extra reliability. It's the same as before just jacked up in price :no:

just want to say, I'm stoked that i bought 3 matched pairs of SED KT88's a fortnight before this thread was made.
Man they sound great!

the Tung-sol EL-34's are good tubes, they're just real picky about what amps they'll get along with.

damn good in a VH4, and real cool for mixing with SED's in amps like a Herbert or a Bones.

Mike, you should try a pair of the Tung-sol 34's instead of the 6550's paired with the SED 34's in a Bones! :thumbsup:

EH 6CA7's are allright, and have been good in a couple deferent Camerons i've had. damn sure good for a little deferent vibe, and seem to react more pleasantly to a phaser.

but yea, thanks for the heads up on the SED's Mike! :rock:

FortinAmps":nav59md1 said:
donbarzini":nav59md1 said:

Nothing but trouble with JJ's here. I won't use them if I can help it. I love the TAD stuff.
Jerry

donbarzini":18x0czxn said:
tonmazz":18x0czxn said:
psychodave":18x0czxn said:
Dallas Marlow":18x0czxn said:
So Steve, the question is if we start a rumor that SED's suck will it eventually cause them to lower production further raising the price? Or... on the other hand if we make them the most sought after tube will the more prevalent use cause production to go up and costs to go down due to volume, or possibly they will just realize people are willing to pay anything and then they jack up the price further?

Possibly in the long run, but for the short term there will be over stock and maybe they will lower prices :D

Winged C's suck. :D

:LOL: :LOL: I agree, best thing I ever did was get them out of my Friedman. Well said.

:thumbsup:

madrigal77":dgw48ftx said:
Ayrton":dgw48ftx said:
Amplified Parts on Amazon has a matched quad for $104 w/ free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Winged-EL34-Vacuu ... _rhf_p_t_1
How are these guys? Anyone dealt with them before? How well are the tubes matched? That price seems awfully cheap. I don't know how that's even possible without being factory 2nds.

The set I ordered showed up yesterday. I even snagged a second set from http://www.tubesandmore.com/ when I was grabbing some other crap.

The USPS re-routed mine from a 120 mile trip to a 1,000 mile journey. The address is correct on the paypal shipping info but instead of Columbus to Cleveland, they seem to be in New Hampshire somewhere. I hope that the extra bouncing hasn't damaged anything or shortened their life considerably. Still waiting to try them out.

Back