Quickrod Issue with tone at higher volume

ruster1

Have had a used QR 100 2007 era for more than 2 years and have the 4 button footswitch. Mainly using it in GEAR 1 for modded plexi tones.. GAIN on about 11 O'Clock.. does not have the loop master so I was using an Ernie Ball Vol pedal (passive) to tame volume, but generally had to find a sweet spot to maintain treble and upper mids with VOL @ 8 O'clock MAX.. just over bedroom levels tbh.. then engage the loop vol pedal to bring it back a bit.. I run a TC elec reverb and delay with the vol pedal.. I recently got a Freyette Power Station to replace the VOL pedal.. finding that when I juice the volume of this QR it throws a wet blanket on the speakers (anything over 9 O'clock kills the highs).. Amp came to me with KT-77 and when one was dead I had the tech put in EL-34. I want to noodle around with higher gain setting GEAR 3 etc.. but i have to literally keep the VOL just above bedroom volume in order NOT to lose the highs.. This amp sounds best with TREBLE = 0.. and it gets a spike in volume when I get to ZERO.. Generally I run presence higher at 2-3 'clock.. bass and mids between 4-6.. but treble on ZERO and VOL just cracked open.. or I lose all highs.. ??? I bought the Power Station to run my 1970 Marshall Major.. but liked tinkering on the QR.. i can tweak some of the tone with the PS settings as well.. great reactive load there.. I am wondering if the past owner made some MODS i am not aware of?.. I tried switching out pre-amp tubes.. and pretty much keep the JJ's in there.. Just having troubles dialing in power tube distortion in this head when it sounds like a wet wool blanket was tossed over my 4x12.. (Splawn cab with Govners and Man O wars.. but I also run into a Marshall 4x12 with Scumback M75 and BM75's.. its not the cabs.. This cant be normal to lose the highs so badly when turning the VOL over 8 O'clock or just above bedroom levels??? when the sound is ON.. its fantastic.. bump the VOL a hair and it loses treble..?? The only thing I have NOT tried is removing everything from the effects loop.. I like having my delay and verb there.. and in the past the VOL pedal.. Any thoughts..?

Last edited:
Hey there. Welcome to R-T :cheers:

Funny, as we have the exact same situation almost identically. Mine is '08. I run JJs. I run Treble on 0. Other setting about the same. Here is the difference though. My Volume is at 10 or 11 oclock. Not bedroom. The amp needs volume. I'm also almost always in Gear 2 OD2. I have a volume box in the loop but is maybe 8/10 or 9/10 full on. Here is probably another difference. I'm using my amp differently than most. I like dark, I like doom, I like Drop C. So knowing that, listen to this ABY w my Recto and tell me if it sounds like yours or does this have more 'high end' than yours? Nothing special mind you, just power chords.

Hey there. Welcome to R-T :cheers:

Funny, as we have the exact same situation almost identically. Mine is '08. I run JJs. I run Treble on 0. Other setting about the same. Here is the difference though. My Volume is at 10 or 11 oclock. Not bedroom. The amp needs volume. I'm also almost always in Gear 2 OD2. I have a volume box in the loop but is maybe 8/10 or 9/10 full on. Here is probably another difference. I'm using my amp differently than most. I like dark, I like doom, I like Drop C. So knowing that, listen to this ABY w my Recto and tell me if it sounds like yours or does this have more 'high end' than yours? Nothing special mind you, just power chords.

Hey brother.. nice rig.. for your drop tuning and power chords it works.. mine is very nasally perhaps when the volume hits 9-10 range.. loses those Marshall style crisp highs and punch you in the gut sizzle.. I like it to your tone but worse in my case.. considering I am going for modded Plexi I need some of those high frequencies.. I even use a solodallas boost.. which really kills early Angus riffs.. but it sounds best on 8 o'clock and just bump it a smidge and it is back to nasal congestion.. even in higher gain settings I see this.. when it's right.. it great. As soon as I add volume.. I lose it . The freyette power station has some really good tweaks as the power section reamping can add brightness and bottom end.. and it also has a resonance and presence dial of its own... But I hate tweaking this post signal.. just seems strange that I lose so much sizzle when I increase volume.. playing it at 12 noon is loud as hell but very nasally.. I would not say dark... I am going to continue to tweak.. maybe my loop is playing a part.. I'll take my pedals out of there.. i'm a novice at capturing vid or sound but I will have to give it a try.. this 2007 was certainly played out as the head shell was beat up.. I scored a black/ white racing stripe Splawn empty cab and it lives in new clothes now..lol.. thanks a bunch.. using the treble is ok.. but when it is turned back to zero it has a noticable gain in volume and opens up more.. I make sure to have the solo vol up a tad as well.. it's funny.. when I get it right I don't want to touch it.. but I can't help but tweak.. I have issues.. lol

Hey brother.. nice rig.. for your drop tuning and power chords it works.. mine is very nasally perhaps when the volume hits 9-10 range.. loses those Marshall style crisp highs and punch you in the gut sizzle.. I like it to your tone but worse in my case.. considering I am going for modded Plexi I need some of those high frequencies.. I even use a solodallas boost.. which really kills early Angus riffs.. but it sounds best on 8 o'clock and just bump it a smidge and it is back to nasal congestion.. even in higher gain settings I see this.. when it's right.. it great. As soon as I add volume.. I lose it . The freyette power station has some really good tweaks as the power section reamping can add brightness and bottom end.. and it also has a resonance and presence dial of its own... But I hate tweaking this post signal.. just seems strange that I lose so much sizzle when I increase volume.. playing it at 12 noon is loud as hell but very nasally.. I would not say dark... I am going to continue to tweak.. maybe my loop is playing a part.. I'll take my pedals out of there.. i'm a novice at capturing vid or sound but I will have to give it a try.. this 2007 was certainly played out as the head shell was beat up.. I scored a black/ white racing stripe Splawn empty cab and it lives in new clothes now..lol.. thanks a bunch.. using the treble is ok.. but when it is turned back to zero it has a noticable gain in volume and opens up more.. I make sure to have the solo vol up a tad as well.. it's funny.. when I get it right I don't want to touch it.. but I can't help but tweak.. I have issues.. lol
Quickly I would say yes. Take out all pedals so you are guitar only. Try a Tun Sol or GT 12ax7 in V2. Then add volume pedal back in. Or patch the fx loop with a cable (does nothing for me). Also try a strait up EQ pedal in the loop. Are your speakers broken in. Doubt it is modded. I'm not a tech though. Good luck all around. Do you have some brighter 12ax7's?

But hey, I think our amps are a lot alike. I have similar complaints it just doesn't bother me much because I don't play a lot of 80s stuff (even though it is probably my favorite genre). Mine gets very honky as well. A buddy of mine does not really like my amp for these reasons. He also says not enough gain. Speaking of which, on that clip I did the gain was on like 2 oclock. I think I said I was on same settings as you. I wonder if I did that same thing with the same settings but in E - how much different would it sound? Did you hear any 'blanket' on mine? Don't know much about your boost but I really like my Bad Monkey (TS clone) with gain on 0/level 10. Also, if I played my amp at 8 or 9 it would def sound dead just sayin'. Not a bedroom amp. Some people say they can just not dial that midrange honk out :dunno:

I recorded a song idea I have yesterday with my Strat in E so let's see if that is honky (on youtube).

Divichi from Brushido Code has the best Quick Rod tone I've heard but it is in drop C or B and I think running KT88s. Each to his own right?

Last edited:
Try calling Scott and see what he suggests.
man I don't know if I would've even liked these older non loop master models. I absolutely love my Super Sport and I run it (at gigs) with the loop master at about 2:00 and the front amp volume at 9:00. solo boost almost dimed. No loss of any tone at all with mine at any settings , the only thing I don't like is once you get past 10:00 on the front volume the solo boost almost becomes useless :(
Which annoys me because if I crank the volume up to say 3:00 and dial it back with the loop master, the amp sounds thicker and meaner but I need that solo boost, I am the lead player I the band I'm currently gigging with.

OK so this one is the exact same setting except E standard with my Strat. It is also drenched in effects (chorus, delay, reverb). Now I didn't make this as a demo for you it is just a song idea. I'm going to redo it due to some missed notes but you get the idea. The point is it is the same settings basically as my other clip - which is the type of stuff I do normally. So gain at 2 oclock. Volume at like 11 oclock. Loop volume at say 8/10. The big difference though here is that the Rectoverb is also on but clean channel only but you can definitely here the Splawn.

So is this honky?

I definitely have clips that are honkier. :D

I just thought of something. What about your bias? A low bias could affect things as well. Or too high.

Last edited:
Quickly I would say yes. Take out all pedals so you are guitar only. Try a Tun Sol or GT 12ax7 in V2. Then add volume pedal back in. Or patch the fx loop with a cable (does nothing for me). Also try a strait up EQ pedal in the loop. Are your speakers broken in. Doubt it is modded. I'm not a tech though. Good luck all around. Do you have some brighter 12ax7's?

But hey, I think our amps are a lot alike. I have similar complaints it just doesn't bother me much because I don't play a lot of 80s stuff (even though it is probably my favorite genre). Mine gets very honky as well. A buddy of mine does not really like my amp for these reasons. He also says not enough gain. Speaking of which, on that clip I did the gain was on like 2 oclock. I think I said I was on same settings as you. I wonder if I did that same thing with the same settings but in E - how much different would it sound? Did you hear any 'blanket' on mine? Don't know much about your boost but I really like my Bad Monkey (TS clone) with gain on 0/level 10. Also, if I played my amp at 8 or 9 it would def sound dead just sayin'. Not a bedroom amp. Some people say they can just not dial that midrange honk out :dunno:

I recorded a song idea I have yesterday with my Strat in E so let's see if that is honky (on youtube).

Divichi from Brashido Code has the best Quick Rod tone I've heard but it is in drop C or B and I think running KT88s. Each to his own right?
Hey yes, I tend to watch both guys from BC .. and they get some screamin tone from the QR.. I would also keep an eye out for the NITRO with KT-88 as those bottles have big huge sound.. I was going for more 80's rock and the QR used was a good fit.. but I have to play it with the VOL on 1.. any higher and I lose all highs.. your chugging has more SIZZLE than mine.. so i am guessing mine has some issues.. I will also take a look at the loop and pull things out.. last resort is to call scott.. lol.. perhaps we could look it over and put the NEW/OLD switch on it for me..

Try calling Scott and see what he suggests.
man I don't know if I would've even liked these older non loop master models. I absolutely love my Super Sport and I run it (at gigs) with the loop master at about 2:00 and the front amp volume at 9:00. solo boost almost dimed. No loss of any tone at all with mine at any settings , the only thing I don't like is once you get past 10:00 on the front volume the solo boost almost becomes useless :(
Which annoys me because if I crank the volume up to say 3:00 and dial it back with the loop master, the amp sounds thicker and meaner but I need that solo boost, I am the lead player I the band I'm currently gigging with.
I hear you.. I may give Scott a rundown of what I am experiencing.. I hate losing that Marshall sizzle when turning up.. have you tried just running a clean boost to get your lead.. one that pushes + 20db or so.. may help you with that BOOST issue..

Working from home today and had some time to mess around.. found some issues with the LOOP.. unplugged everything.. forgot to switch the bypass on and got strange sounds.. .. hit the bypass and the tone sucked again.. put a patch cable in the loop and activated it.. and got better tones.. still not what I was expected.. but better.. (did have a loose cable going to my TC delay).. However, when i put the VOL at 8 O'clcok for my preferred tone without wet blanket.. and hit the bypass.. it adds the wet blanket to my sizzle tone at low volumes.. may have to ask Scott about this .. maybe the LOOP is sucking tone in some fashion.. ?? oh and btw.. a Boss GE-7 worked well in the loop to remove the blanket.. had to focus on the 3.2k frequency

Last edited:
I hear you.. I may give Scott a rundown of what I am experiencing.. I hate losing that Marshall sizzle when turning up.. have you tried just running a clean boost to get your lead.. one that pushes + 20db or so.. may help you with that BOOST issue..
I actually have an MXR 10 band EQ I can throw in the loop and use as a boost if need be, I will have to do some experimenting.

I just had new EL-34's put in it 2 months ago.. did not help things.. the amp had KT-77 when i got it and one blew..
But did you rebias? Generally I would say you want to be in the 30 - 35 mA range.
When I had a low bias once (like 23mA) my tone was very honky. I had other issues tho too :D
Did you say 8 oclock on volume for front volume and loop volume? That is very low volume for an amp that needs volume to open up.
Just sayin'

And yeah, I run a MXR 10 band in my loop too (but not because I have to). I should have mentioned that for my second clip I posted that just coincidentally happed to be more of an 80's tone. That was: MXR 10 band > MXR Chorus > Boss Noise Suppressor > MXR Carbon Copy Delay > Digitech Hardwire Reverb > Loop Vol box > Look Return. And it was loud. Front volume at 10:30 oclock. Loop volume 8/10.

But did you rebias? Generally I would say you want to be in the 30 - 35 mA range.
When I had a low bias once (like 23mA) my tone was very honky. I had other issues tho too :D
Did you say 8 oclock on volume for front volume and loop volume? That is very low volume for an amp that needs volume to open up.
Just sayin'

And yeah, I run a MXR 10 band in my loop too (but not because I have to). I should have mentioned that for my second clip I posted that just coincidentally happed to be more of an 80's tone. That was: MXR 10 band > MXR Chorus > Boss Noise Suppressor > MXR Carbon Copy Delay > Digitech Hardwire Reverb > Loop Vol box > Look Return. And it was loud. Front volume at 10:30 oclock. Loop volume 8/10.
Yes, had my go to amp tech rebias to about 34 mA I believe to match the tubes.. having a look at the loop was interesting .. loop activated but NOTHING in it was a no no. But when bypassing the loop I got more wet blanket.. she loves to have something plugged into the loop for sure..

Yes, had my go to amp tech rebias to about 34 mA I believe to match the tubes.. having a look at the loop was interesting .. loop activated but NOTHING in it was a no no. But when bypassing the loop I got more wet blanket.. she loves to have something plugged into the loop for sure..

I have 3 Splawns (no Quick Rod) . I had read your post last week, and thought to myself I don't ever play that low-volume with mine, and I have no clue what he's talking about, but tonight for fun I played my SuperComp (it's a 50 watter with el34's) at low volumes . At first when you crack the volume on, it's really crappy trebly, and then just on a bit more and you get the nicest AIRY perfect Marshally tone, very similar to my Jose/Cali-modded Marshalls, and then when you turn up the volume more, all those airy highs definitely go away and the sound just fills out. NOthing to do with the loop on mine. . I currently have a Digitech hardwire DL8 in the loop , but if I bypass that, I can still get the same findings. SOOO.... if I'm understanding your situation, there's nothing wrong with the amp, and it's the way it's designed. It is not a Marshall Plexi and doesn't have the hi-end Marshalls do. Keep in mind I did this on a Super-Comp, but there's a footswitch setting that changes it from Nitro-like to Quickrod/Compeition-like. . The volume is too low for bands at that setting you're talking about. . . . . Tomorrow I made a note to try this on my Competition and see if it's the same and I'll post. Keep in mind I've never noticed this, as I play my gigs with the VOL on a bit over 9:00, and the loop volume about 90% up. Interesting

p.s. I do all the biasing on my amps, and it's not related to that at all, and I also have a huge tube stash and it's not related to preamp or power tubes. So far, on this amp, it's 'design', but I'm curious about my Competition or Street Rod.. The SR is from about 2009ish if I recall but my mini-Comp is maybe 2017-2018ish. . . The SuperComp is in between those .

Eric

Well I followed up this 'experiment' today with my Mini Competition and it acted totally differently than the Super Comp. As I bring the VOL up from scratch, it retains the SAME tone, whereas the SUper Comp's lo-end/resonance takes over that sweet hi-end that's at up to 8:00. I did find I can use my old Boss GE7 to make it sound as I want basically and I love the Super-Comp. Both amps btw, with the volume totally off, still allow some sound to come thru, more so with the Super-Comp. Oh well, probably I didn't help the OP, but just figured I'd post this

Eric

Well I followed up this 'experiment' today with my Mini Competition and it acted totally differently than the Super Comp. As I bring the VOL up from scratch, it retains the SAME tone, whereas the SUper Comp's lo-end/resonance takes over that sweet hi-end that's at up to 8:00. I did find I can use my old Boss GE7 to make it sound as I want basically and I love the Super-Comp. Both amps btw, with the volume totally off, still allow some sound to come thru, more so with the Super-Comp. Oh well, probably I didn't help the OP, but just figured I'd post this

Eric
Eric,

Thanks a bunch.. it at least quantifies my examinations.. and thanks for giving it a go with lower volumes.. I was worried I hurt the OT by switching the Half Power switch without lowering the tap to 8 Ohms.. and then like an idiot I plugged it into my Fryette PS2 reactive load and reamp.. also at 8 ohm as I had it set like that for another amp.. glad it is working fine.. i just have trouble to bring back the highs for Marshall type tone.. (I know Scott was going for VH tones).. The thing is I can crack the volume on the OD channel (and yes its a horrible ice pick at first).. but then settle on a great Marshall sound just above bedroom levels.. The fryette PS2 has a built in 50 watt 6L6 power section so I can AMP it up to loud if i want.. great for low power combos to bring more power.. I was looking for that sound in my head, but no0t getting it.. I didnt want to put and EQ in there but perhaps it will be best.

From your experie3nce.. having a Boss GE7 in front of the QR or in the effects loop? I think boosting the preamp out front makes the most sense.. otherwise in the loop it will hit the power tubes which I dont have running very hard..

Eric,

Thanks a bunch.. it at least quantifies my examinations.. and thanks for giving it a go with lower volumes.. I was worried I hurt the OT by switching the Half Power switch without lowering the tap to 8 Ohms.. and then like an idiot I plugged it into my Fryette PS2 reactive load and reamp.. also at 8 ohm as I had it set like that for another amp.. glad it is working fine.. i just have trouble to bring back the highs for Marshall type tone.. (I know Scott was going for VH tones).. The thing is I can crack the volume on the OD channel (and yes its a horrible ice pick at first).. but then settle on a great Marshall sound just above bedroom levels.. The fryette PS2 has a built in 50 watt 6L6 power section so I can AMP it up to loud if i want.. great for low power combos to bring more power.. I was looking for that sound in my head, but no0t getting it.. I didnt want to put and EQ in there but perhaps it will be best.

From your experie3nce.. having a Boss GE7 in front of the QR or in the effects loop? I think boosting the preamp out front makes the most sense.. otherwise in the loop it will hit the power tubes which I dont have running very hard..

To be honest, it didn't matter if the EQ was in front of the amp, or in the fx loop (for eq'ing) If someone wanted to use it for a solo boost, it definitely needs to be in a loop, but all my Splawns have the best solo boost feature already. I'd just experiment and see what works best for you, and good luck! Eric

After finding out i had a bad patch cable in front of the amp i got excited.. but it only improved things marginally.. Perhaps this amp is voiced darker than the sound in my head.. I added a Boss GE-7 and from flat I boosted the 1.6k, 3.2k and 6.4k in a soft half V shape and it brought back the Marshall qualities.. got a little on the thin side so I boosted 400 and 200 slightly as well.. sounds more
Marshally now.. for now.. until i learn more form tweaking.. funny.. I was also messing with the GEARS and was disappointed in the response until I realized I have the MODE switch off and it defaulted to GEAR 2..

My 2005 has a ton of bass. I run the volume at 9:00. Bass 10:00, Mids 10:00 Treble and Presence at Noon. I run Gear 3 only. Running through an EVH 412 with either a Webber Mass 200 or a TwoNotes Captor X to knock down volume. An attenuator is a must with this amp.

Last edited:
Back