R.I.P. KEN CZEPELKA -Sound Sculpture

phil b

Man,

I just found out that Ken passed I guess sometime in Oct. I was looking to grab another E.T. and havent heard from him which was so unlike him. He was always helpful and his support was top notch. I wonder if anyone is going to pick up Sound Sculpture or if now it rests with him. So bummed... knew him for years.

Oh wow. I knew he had a new unit and better interface than what used to exist. I don’t feel as though he was able to productionize as much as he wanted? Unfortunately this may mean the end of SS and the awesome switchblade series.

May he RIP.

Oh wow. I knew he had a new unit and better interface than what used to exist. I don’t feel as though he was able to productionize as much as he wanted? Unfortunately this may mean the end of SS and the awesome switchblade series.

May he RIP.
He finally got to release the E.T. which is exactly what I was hoping for sound wise. He absolutely nailed it in that respect. It was still sort of in its infancy stage with a few things that he was working out. He finally had a usb port but it wasnt quite there yet and something he was actively working on. The software is stable and its been running smooth. He sold it based on the owner accepts the usb limitations and possible software bugs, but he was always great on delivering, even if it took a while. USB or not I'm glad I got my E.T. and feel its worth what I paid. Hell, I was looking to buy another for my smaller rack. Shame...

I am shocked. I literally sold my SwitchBlade GL on Reverb last week as Ken and I had discussed that I should move to an ET unit. As soon as I sold the GL; I tried to order the ET but all email and phone lines are already disconnected: I am devastated for his loss and now I am totally unsure what to do. I have been researching all day and there really isn’t anything comparable to purchase unless someone knows? Looked at GCX 16 but not really closeTo the power. I really hope someone buys soundsculpture and preserves the ET product. Such a loss!

seems a shame to just fade away.

wonder if he documented his work clearly enough for others to backwards engineer?
bradshaw would be another cool candidate.
any patents or intellectual property that his next of kin may control?

if not, looks like a job for behringer!

Eventide also comes to mind. I was a SeitchBlade GL user until my untimely sale of it last week as I wanted to buy an ET. The ET would be amazing to use with the Eventide products like the H9, H90, or even H9000 and many other pedals they offer. I had Ana amazing workflow with the GL and the H9000 and I see no exisiting product comparable to the GL or now the ET. The ET has to live on somehow.

Last edited:
seems a shame to just fade away.

wonder if he documented his work clearly enough for others to backwards engineer?
bradshaw would be another cool candidate.
any patents or intellectual property that his next of kin may control?

if not, looks like a job for behringer!
I have Kens Niece's contact info and am going to reach out to her between now and the New Year. From what I understand he really was a one man show so hopefully I can get some information if the family has any plans for the S.S. brand or even perhaps sell off any inventory that is there or better yet if everything was documented perhaps there is enough to sell and continue the work? I would put them in touch with Bradshaw, Friedman or possibly Cliff Chase and between one of them and they could move from there. I'd be too afraid Behringer would cut too many corners and it would become a watered down version of what it is.. Doh!

I knew Ken for over 20 years starting with the Studio Switchblade but it mostly a business relationship. Last thing I want to do is come off as a "George Costanza"! There really is nothing like the E.T. and he really nailed it with this one. There are still things that were going to be addressed in later firmwares and now that will not happen obviously. The E.T. was about 95% complete IMO and I'm glad I got one when I did. I will update when I find out more info.

I contacted Eventide management to see if they might be interested. If they are, I might be interested in the niece contact as I’d rather see Eventide buy them versus Behringer

I’d rather see Cliff or RJM talk to her about acquirement. Cliff has done amazing work with the AFX series and understands software support development. RJM understands switching system development very well.

I really hope something can be worked out! I’d gladly be the first client of the new venture by ordering an ET unit.

There are a few key people to put her in touch with IF she even wants to go that route. Again, first and foremost its about a guy who dedicated his life to this and was pretty private in all things. Being a one man show is tough and it might have even been his wish to let it rest with him. I want to pay my respects and have her know how much of an impact his products made on a pretty wide scale. I'm just glad after all his efforts he was finally to see the E.T. come to fruition, even though it still has bugs to work out. Again, once I have more info I will ask for permission to be able to update and take it from there. Its rough around the first holidays after losing someone so we'll see. I wanted to buy a 2nd one and when I didnt get any response back that was a big red flag with me, cause you could always count on him to reply asap. He was genuinely a good guy too. Shame....

Ken went above and beyond to help walk me through initial programming of my first GL. He refused my offer of paying him for his time. I insisted, but still he wouldn’t have it. Very nice person and such a loss for the music world.

I have known Ken for over 40 years from when he was in Boulder. He was very bright and a good friend to many folks. I know he was looking for a buyer for Sound sculpture. It was Dec 22 when I last heard from him and he told me about his illness and pending death. I am very sad to hear of his passing.

I have known Ken for over 40 years from when he was in Boulder. He was very bright and a good friend to many folks. I know he was looking for a buyer for Sound sculpture. It was Dec 22 when I last heard from him and he told me about his illness and pending death. I am very sad to hear of his passing.
Mark, what that this past year in dec. you heard from him?

I have Kens Niece's contact info and am going to reach out to her between now and the New Year. From what I understand he really was a one man show so hopefully I can get some information if the family has any plans for the S.S. brand or even perhaps sell off any inventory that is there or better yet if everything was documented perhaps there is enough to sell and continue the work? I would put them in touch with Bradshaw, Friedman or possibly Cliff Chase and between one of them and they could move from there. I'd be too afraid Behringer would cut too many corners and it would become a watered down version of what it is.. Doh!

I knew Ken for over 20 years starting with the Studio Switchblade but it mostly a business relationship. Last thing I want to do is come off as a "George Costanza"! There really is nothing like the E.T. and he really nailed it with this one. There are still things that were going to be addressed in later firmwares and now that will not happen obviously. The E.T. was about 95% complete IMO and I'm glad I got one when I did. I will update when I find out more info.

Mark, what that this past year in dec. you heard from him?

He never responded to my calls or emails after 12/22. We worked together at Seagate (disk drives) until the end of 1988 after that he had s shop space in Boulder before moving to Bend. He was a super tech and knew more than most engineers in his field. He was a savant. I am sure his documents are very detailed based on my memories of his vast skills. I think it's likely his work could be carried on. His business and products were the love of his life. As I recall he had lymphatic cancer and had to have surgery on his neck and shoulder area and he lost his voice for singing which is one of his great loves along with playing. I don't think he was able to speak at all and the later part of his life. He had to sell his house to keep SS going. I am very sad that he did not have more time.

He never responded to my calls or emails after 12/22. We worked together at Seagate (disk drives) until the end of 1988 after that he had s shop space in Boulder before moving to Bend. He was a super tech and knew more than most engineers in his field. He was a savant. I am sure his documents are very detailed based on my memories of his vast skills. I think it's likely his work could be carried on. His business and products were the love of his life. As I recall he had lymphatic cancer and had to have surgery on his neck and shoulder area and he lost his voice for singing which is one of his great loves along with playing. I don't think he was able to speak at all and the later part of his life. He had to sell his house to keep SS going. I am very sad that he did not have more time.
I asked because he passed the end of Sept. I still keep in touch with his niece. I will pass along your condolences.

This is so incredibly sad.
@ phil b: I know it seems futile to ask in context of the overall situation, but I was wondering if you have an update regarding your communication with his niece. I sort of need to move on with my rig redesign and would obviously love to buy an ET if there is a path forward for the company. I can wait for a while depending on nature of situation. I realize that nothing may have happened since your last post but in case you have any color you feel comfortable providing that would be useful.
Regards

Back