Racerxrated is a scholar and a gentleman.

DanTravis62

I can't say enough kind things about Mr Flannery.

First of all, he patiently answered many of my noob questions regarding the various iterations of 1960 cabs and speakers of the 80s, and he offered to sell (and most importantly) ship me one of his 4x12s.

The cost is completely unimportant as far as this goes - that he was willing to go that far for a fellow RTer is badass.

Almost every cabinet (and more and more amp heads) that you see for sale are local pickup only, and that leaves people like me who live in rural areas completely fucked as far as vintage or hard to find gear.

Racer couldn't have been more easy to work with, and no one should think twice before doing a deal with him. I've been looking for a 1960b with vented t75s forever, and he went above and beyond for me.

Pic related:
PXL_20211222_183150559.jpg

1000%, would recommend. I'm super excited about the cab, and can't believe he shipped a 4x12 for me
So are these the same speakers that Jon Schaffer uses? What are the big differences between the older vented ones and the 90's UK ones and the ones now? I have been using a Lee Jackson era Ampeg 4x12 with g12-75's for 20 years and I have always loved it...but people talk hardcore shit on the speakers which I never got.

So are these the same speakers that Jon Schaffer uses? What are the big differences between the older vented ones and the 90's UK ones and the ones now? I have been using a Lee Jackson era Ampeg 4x12 with g12-75's for 20 years and I have always loved it...but people talk hardcore shit on the speakers which I never got.

So these early vented t75s from the 80s are what Jon and also Morrisound used, as well as many 80s thrash bands (Celtic frost etc) used

I don't know the exact differences between the new and old besides they sound different 🤷

How can you tell if the t75’s are vented etc?
The early t75s have magnets that look exactly the same as the blackback G12-65 magnets, there's a vent in the center. They might also be 15ohm I can't remember.

They were supposedly only used in the first couple of years (83, 84) but there's been documented cases of them in 85 and 86 lead cabs too, apparently - celestion has done all sorts of fuckery which muddies the waters and makes things a bit confusing.

This is just my (limited) understanding - someone else will have a more complete answer.

How can you tell if the t75’s are vented etc?
The pic with 2 speakers is the vented and the others is an ‘80’s unvented. Both nice sounding speakers. The vented has a lot more mids and almost sounds like a higher wattage Greenback. Non-vented sounds more scooped, but imo can sound equally good depending on how it’s used
D5C0A0F3-2D3A-45A1-8090-28EE202C6DDE.jpeg

Attachments

• 801CD791-A174-4A48-873B-03D644C641C9.jpeg
    801CD791-A174-4A48-873B-03D644C641C9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 53
The pic with 2 speakers is the vented and the others is an ‘80’s unvented. Both nice sounding speakers. The vented has a lot more mids and almost sounds like a higher wattage Greenback. Non-vented sounds more scooped, but imo can sound equally good depending on how it’s used
That definitely jives with my experiences with both speakers, though this is the first time I've had vented ones to record and really put thru the paces.

That definitely jives with my experiences with both speakers, though this is the first time I've had vented ones to record and really put thru the paces.
My only recording experience with them was in one of my friend’s re-amps. We had my Kerry Wright loaded with a cross of Vented 75’s and Alnico Gold’s. It sounded really good. Excellent balance and worked well for many different styles/genres. The Gold’s are one of the few non-vintage speakers that I really like

My only recording experience with them was in one of my friend’s re-amps. We had my Kerry Wright loaded with a cross of Vented 75’s and Alnico Gold’s. It sounded really good. Excellent balance and worked well for many different styles/genres. The Gold’s are one of the few non-vintage speakers that I really like

Nice! That seems like it'd be a good combo. I've been using them by themselves but have plans to blend with a 55hz scumback, some old uk v30s, and the jbl 15s in my showman cab - since that's what I have lying around.

My experience so far is much more midrangey than the non vented, and worlds away from the new 75s

Nice! That seems like it'd be a good combo. I've been using them by themselves but have plans to blend with a 55hz scumback, some old uk v30s, and the jbl 15s in my showman cab - since that's what I have lying around.

My experience so far is much more midrangey than the non vented, and worlds away from the new 75s
Yeah by themselves I liked it too, I just often like having a mix of stuff. The ‘80’s non-vented imo sound like a much better and warmer version of the new 75’s. Both more scooped sounding speakers. I’ve tried the vented 75’s crossed with more some sort of UK V30’s (not sure which versions) and found it a little dark or laid back for my taste, but maybe you could like it depending on cab and other stuff. The Gold’s I felt just filled in very well where the vented didn’t. Good complements to each other

Those old JBL’s can be real chug monsters. I collected lots of them thankfully before those big covid spikes in pricing of them. Those and the Crescendo’s have been the probably the best chuggers I’ve had

Yeah by themselves I liked it too, I just often like having a mix of stuff. The ‘80’s non-vented imo sound like a much better and warmer version of the new 75’s. Both more scooped sounding speakers. I’ve tried the vented 75’s crossed with more some sort of UK V30’s (not sure which versions) and found it a little dark or laid back for my taste, but maybe you could like it depending on cab and other stuff. The Gold’s I felt just filled in very well where the vented didn’t. Good complements to each other

Those old JBL’s can be real chug monsters. I collected lots of them thankfully before those big covid spikes in pricing of them

Absolutely, as far as the JBLs - I had no idea (I've always been a celestion guy) and the first time I hit those speakers with some gain my mind was completely blown.

Absolutely, as far as the JBLs - I had no idea (I've always been a celestion guy) and the first time I hit those speakers with some gain my mind was completely blown.
Yes! If you ever are able to find some, those orange frame D120F’s and E120’s have been my faves of JBL’s. E120 needs lots of volume to sound great, but has the biggest bottom end I’ve heard in a 12” speaker. They brought my iic+ to life and maybe what Metallica should’ve used haha

The Celestion’s I find have the best qualities to me in all the mid spectrum area, but then the JBL’s and Crescendo’s have more detailed highs and heavier lows IME

My 2 all time favorite speakers are the ‘60’s Alnico Blues and pre-rola 20w GB’s. If there ever was a true high wattage version of those 2, no other speakers would need to exist imo lol. I have a feeling the JBL’s and 20w GB’s would probably be amazing with your Larry based on the clips I’ve heard of it

Yes! If you ever are able to find some, those orange frame D120F’s and E120’s have been my faves of JBL’s. E120 needs lots of volume to sound great, but has the biggest bottom end I’ve heard in a 12” speaker. They brought my iic+ to life and maybe what Metallica should’ve used haha

The Celestion’s I find have the best qualities to me in all the mid spectrum area, but then the JBL’s and Crescendo’s have more detailed highz and heavier lows IME

My 2 all time favorite speakers are the ‘60’s Alnico Blues and pre-rola 20w GB’s. If there always ever a true high wattage version of those 2, no other speakers would need to exist imo lol. I have a feeling the JBL’s and 20w GB’s would probably be amazing with your Larry based on the clips I’ve heard of it

Yeah mine are the 15" d130f from the dual showman ("dick dale") cab - the only other experience i had with 15s was from bass cabinets and the old randall warhead full stack back in the day, so I was expecting something completely different. I've messed around with some of the bassman cabs and stuff with the d120fs but never heard the Es.

Back