Remembering Randy Rhoads 3/19/82

RIP.

Caught the Diary show in Detroit.
My 3rd big concert at the time and even after hundreds of Great Artists and Concerts later I am still in awe and haunted by the memory of how Great Live Randy truly was.
He was phenomenal especially those last few weeks and as others at those shows attest Randy left most jaws dropped afterwards.

To the Prince of Hard Rock/Metal Guitar............RIP

V-Type":165sajq9 said:
even after hundreds of Great Artists and Concerts later I am still in awe and haunted by the memory of how Great Live Randy truly was.
He was phenomenal especially those last few weeks and as others at those shows attest Randy left most jaws dropped afterwards.

To the Prince of Hard Rock/Metal Guitar............RIP

EXACTLY!!!!!!

2nd concert I ever saw was the Blizzard of OZ. I had no idea that I was watching one of the best to ever play. One of the main reasons I ever picked up a guitar. Still have the T. Went to the grave today, though I heard he has been moved. Lots of cool tributes left there for him either way. RIP Randy.

Never forget when I heard the news..one of those moments where you remember exactly where you were. Visiting my grandparents in the twin cities..9th grade. My first guitar hero..even over EVH. Sad day. Live on Randy..

I know this isn't a George Lynch or Warren DiMartini story, but it's still sort-of cool.

My friends Brian and Frank watched Randy play in Thoroughbred Music (Tampa), the day of the Blizzard concert, but they didn't know he was Ozzy's new guitarist. Randy was in the store trying out guitars, and had gathered a small crowd of players around him. After leaving the store, Brian had dropped his t-shirt from his back pocket (guys use to walk shirtless a lot in those days), and Randy said to him; "Hey man, you dropped your shit!" Later, when the show started, they realized who he was. They said that Randy was VERY annoyed by Ozzy's stage antics, and did not seem like being picked-up by Ozzy at all. They described Randy's execution of the songs as "flawless", but reacted to Ozzy's antics with disgust.

People still head out to the crash site, but you can't get close as it is private property. It's still owned by Florida Coach, maker of tour buses to the stars. Check them out... :thumbsup:
http://floridacoach.com/

You couldn't have asked for a more beautiful weekend for a concert in Orlando either. I can't remember a more anticipated concert event in the area. A sad ending indeed. RIP Randy Rhoads.

Here is detailed and accurate account of the events of that day...
http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites/Ra ... N567LT.htm

Aerial map...
http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/ran ... ew/google/

I was born in the wrong time. Wish I could've seen not only Randy, but so many other great acts in the 70's and early 80's. I was only 6 years old when Randy died. I got into Ozzy at the tail end of the Jake years.

I had been playing for a few years when Randy hit...actually started playing the year before EVH hit and back then getting guitar info was like the pony express. You had a few magazines or you sat down with the record and the turntable and tried to figure shit out. You hung out in music stores sitting on stacks of used Marshalls that were bone cheap trying to cop licks from the older guys and very few of them were cool. Some would take the time to show you some stuff but most...no. Trust me as those who grew up when I did can attest...info was scarce.

Basically, even with EVH hitting and picking up little things here and there I was more content to play rhythm guitar...I wanted to be the foundation in whatever band I was in. And it worked because the other guy I grew up playing with wanted to handle the solos...cool with me. That all changed as soon as I heard Crazy Train.

At the time...Ozzy was just the loser from Sabbath...and we all hated Sabbath. I can honestly say, of all the friends I had during that time...nobody liked Sabbath. We were into Kiss, Thin Lizzy, Queen, Journey, Van Halen, Skynyrd, Led Zep, Rush, Bad Company, 38 Special, really just about any band that had cool guitars except Sabbath. Basically, any band but Sabbath. And Ozzy...in or out was still the loser from Sabbath.

So...(true story), my best friend moved to West Palm...summer rolls around and I'm heading down to FL for the month to visit. He'd told me...dude, have you heard Ozzy's new record? Of course not, Ozzy sucks. Get off the plane, into his older brothers car and the first tune on the radio was Crazy Train. It would be 28 years before I ever shared the stage with another guitar player. That's how much Randy changed me. What I heard was exactly what I wanted to do. It was like a light switch. Sadly, I missed his last show, it was just a two hour drive away but it was a school night and times were different. I'll always come back to Randy in one way or another...sometimes brief, sometimes it will last for weeks but I appreciate him more each time.

As for Ozzy...sorry pal, your post Sabbath career and frankly your life was made possible by Rhoads. Thanks for introducing us to Brad, Jake, Zakk and Joe but you still suck and the more that has come out through the years about how you treated Randy, Bob, Jake...basically just about anybody that's ever worked for you is pretty pathetic. Long live RR!

Shawn Lutz":rfcsywbj said:
V-Type":rfcsywbj said:
RIP.

Caught the Diary show in Detroit.

I was there too ;)
Too Cool.
I read youre concert breakdown.
I bet we met at Cobo parking partying or on main floor.
Starfighter was the opener which featured one of Angus and Malcom Youngs relatives.

What a night.
:rock:

jabps":o54ds7t7 said:
I had been playing for a few years when Randy hit...actually started playing the year before EVH hit and back then getting guitar info was like the pony express. You had a few magazines or you sat down with the record and the turntable and tried to figure shit out. You hung out in music stores sitting on stacks of used Marshalls that were bone cheap trying to cop licks from the older guys and very few of them were cool. Some would take the time to show you some stuff but most...no. Trust me as those who grew up when I did can attest...info was scarce.

Basically, even with EVH hitting and picking up little things here and there I was more content to play rhythm guitar...I wanted to be the foundation in whatever band I was in. And it worked because the other guy I grew up playing with wanted to handle the solos...cool with me. That all changed as soon as I heard Crazy Train.

At the time...Ozzy was just the loser from Sabbath...and we all hated Sabbath. I can honestly say, of all the friends I had during that time...nobody liked Sabbath. We were into Kiss, Thin Lizzy, Queen, Journey, Van Halen, Skynyrd, Led Zep, Rush, Bad Company, 38 Special, really just about any band that had cool guitars except Sabbath. Basically, any band but Sabbath. And Ozzy...in or out was still the loser from Sabbath.

So...(true story), my best friend moved to West Palm...summer rolls around and I'm heading down to FL for the month to visit. He'd told me...dude, have you heard Ozzy's new record? Of course not, Ozzy sucks. Get off the plane, into his older brothers car and the first tune on the radio was Crazy Train. It would be 28 years before I ever shared the stage with another guitar player. That's how much Randy changed me. What I heard was exactly what I wanted to do. It was like a light switch. Sadly, I missed his last show, it was just a two hour drive away but it was a school night and times were different. I'll always come back to Randy in one way or another...sometimes brief, sometimes it will last for weeks but I appreciate him more each time.

As for Ozzy...sorry pal, your post Sabbath career and frankly your life was made possible by Rhoads. Thanks for introducing us to Brad, Jake, Zakk and Joe but you still suck and the more that has come out through the years about how you treated Randy, Bob, Jake...basically just about anybody that's ever worked for you is pretty pathetic. Long live RR!
This! :thumbsup:

Randy had a huge impact on my playing. I was young and playing stuff like Cheap Trick/Ted Nugent/Kiss. Some older guitar players had me listen to Blizzard and that was it - I wanted to play like THAT guy. Long live RR! :rock:

jabps":3kxqls7r said:

You know that you're talking bout Sharon and not Ozzy?

I met Zakk 2004 @ the rainbow on sunset, and he didn't complaint about Ozzy,
but the whole evening about Sharon!

10176186_1478332515713954_151960963_n.jpg

He was killed right before the philly show i had tickets to.
Needless to say i bought the ticket to see him and it was very bad news to hear he was killed and replaced by bernie torme whom at that time i never heard of.
Randy to this day is my favorite Metal guitarist.
yeah there are metal guys that are faster/cleaner but randy had his own thing i really liked.

RIP Randy. The first time I heard him play was hearing Over The Mountain- totally floored me and changed my view of guitar playing.

Piero the Guitarero":2u4zt0hh said:
jabps":2u4zt0hh said:

You know that you're talking bout Sharon and not Ozzy?

I met Zakk 2004 @ the rainbow on sunset, and he didn't complaint about Ozzy,
but the whole evening about Sharon!

10176186_1478332515713954_151960963_n.jpg
No, I'm talking about both. At the end of the day it's Ozzy's career...he has full right to say yes or no to anything Sharon does. Granted we all know he's pretty much incapable of doing anything without Sharon's guidance except for sucker punching people but in the end...it's his fault for allowing someone to control his life. Not paying people for their work or contributions, swindling people out of money for their work or contributions...swindling the fans with those horrendous re-releases with Bordin and Trujillo...Ozzy's just as responsible as Sharon. I have zero respect for the slob.

Again, long live RR!

Back