Renegade preamp tube questions...need advice!!

I ordered the Doug's tubes recommended pre's at the top of this post and put them in over the weekend. Sounds really nice. Seemed to smooth and warm things up a tad. Still have the ruby el34bht's and sovtek 5881's in. May have to try some winged c's at some point. Great amp!

thats alomost the same setup i have in my renegade, how do u like the kt77's and how do they differ than the bht's??

Not to hijack this thread (I just thought it'd be a waste to start another Egnator Renegade Tube thread)

I am also wanting to put new tubes into my Egnator renegade 212 combo--Currently the tubes in there are stock:

PRE
V1 12AX7 Tungsol 1001
V2 12AX7 Electro Harmonix 0901
V3 12AX7 Tungsol 1001
V4 12AX7 Electro Harmonix 0812
V5 12AX7 Electro Harmonix 0812
V6 12AX7 Electro harmonix 0811

POWER
2 6L6--Sovtek 5881 WXT 1001
2 EL34--Ruby EL34BHT

To my ears the El34's in the 2nd channel sound too undefined and a there's a little too much low mid muddiness. I am looking for a more classic Marshall sound--not necessarily more aggressive, just more defined and "grippy"--I don't play any metal or hard stuff--more stones and beatles, etc.

Channel one's 6l6 cleans are a little too brittle to my ears. I don't necessarily want more bottom, just more warmth and overall smoothness.

I've only ever swapped out my power tubes in my Fender H.R.--so as far as power tubes go I don't have any experience in what changing those might improve? Would love to hear some suggestions from you guys!!

Hi! Your pre-amp tubes are not the stock ones. Somebody already changed them all. Your cleans shouldn't sound brittle with the 5881's : i would swap the Tungsol's out,especially the 12AX7 in V1.Good luck !

Back