Revv Generator 120 MKIII

7 Stringer

Damn, these new Mark III's sure pack a lot of features and updates. Might jump on one!!!!!!

I am a huge fan of Revv, love my 120 MkII. The most versatile head i ever had. Peters and Revv are my 2 favorite amps i owned. Articulate, tight, saturation is perfect and can use any tubes you throw at them.

Canada sure has a lot going on in the amp world these days!!!

Generator 120 MK III

Not sure how to inbed Youtube vids yet.

Had the MkII and couldn't gel with it. Curious how this would be.

What did not gel?

I so much love the tone and feel of my MKII, i sold a bunch of amps cause of it, including my BE. I could get the same tones and then some out of the Revv. Only channel i find too soft or lacking balls is the crunch, but i get the idea of the way they designed it, it starts right where channel one ends, and goes from there. I am used to a more crunchy crunch. But the purple channel with no aggresion switch does it awesome, i just need to think of it as a crunch and a rythm channel.

Boosted, the crunch is perfect.

I played around with tubes and they alter the tone so much. Ran some 6550"s for a while and that was crushing. Running 34"s now and it has a more Marshally vibe. Soon to try KT 88's. That will slay!!!!

Loads of features, haha. Haven't played a Revv in person and would love to, especially the 100 p and this or the MKii.

I hadn't thought too much about trying a Revv after hearing a number of reports of their poor communications and lack of responses etc.

But was still curious and had a chance to try one yesterday - think it was a MkII Generator. Put it up against my VH4, BE100 and HR50+ and it just didn't cut it. Most sounds were ok, none were great. Lacked any real personality basically. Ah well, itch scratched.

I hadn't thought too much about trying a Revv after hearing a number of reports of their poor communications and lack of responses etc.

But was still curious and had a chance to try one yesterday - think it was a MkII Generator. Put it up against my VH4, BE100 and HR50+ and it just didn't cut it. Most sounds were ok, none were great. Lacked any real personality basically. Ah well, itch scratched.
I felt the same way when I tried it. Sounded decent enough, but on the synthetic/not organic sounding side from what I remember and just nothing really wowed me

One thing REVV really has going for them is the specific kind of guitar music they're associating with their branding.
All their official sound showcase stuff sounds extremely modern, tight, and crisp in a cool way.
Then they have guys like Shawn Tubbs showing how versatile the amps can get in the low gain department as well.

REVV's marketing department is on point.

As for this thread, I think the Generator MK III is really interesting. It's basically updated clean and crunch, with the newer 100P and 100R high gain channels put together in a single amp, right? Sounds really cool to me.

Last edited:
Damn, these new Mark III's sure pack a lot of features and updates. Might jump on one!!!!!!

I am a huge fan of Revv, love my 120 MkII. The most versatile head i ever had. Peters and Revv are my 2 favorite amps i owned. Articulate, tight, saturation is perfect and can use any tubes you throw at them.

Canada sure has a lot going on in the amp world these days!!!

Generator 120 MK III

Not sure how to inbed Youtube vids yet.
Cool ad for the Revv. Definitely sounds good. Thanks for posting.

If you quote this post you can see how to embed youtubes - not hard. Every Youtube has a code. Copy paste the link. Remove everything but the code and then add the [ ]... [/] tags.

I felt the same way when I tried it. Sounded decent enough, but on the synthetic/not organic sounding side from what I remember and just nothing really wowed me
Agreed. I just sold a 100P that I didn’t gel with at all. It sounded nice, but didn’t really hang with my old Mesas for my playing style. They sounded twice as big and bad in comparison.

Last edited:
Cool ad for the Revv. Definitely sounds good. Thanks for posting.

If you quote this post you can see how to embed youtubes - not hard. Every Youtube has a code. Copy paste the link. Remove everything but the code and then add the [ ]... [/] tags.

Thanks man, will do for my next posts.

Sure as hell sounds awesome to me. You gotta play with the knobs and aggression switches to really find your tone. Also, tubes make a hell of a difference in these amps. Currently running 34's and it gets some nice Marshally sounds but with the Revv aggression and articulation.

I A/B a lot of amps with it and i can always get it to sound really close, but always with that Revv attitude, witch might not be for everybody, but for me it just nails it.

Agreed. I just sold a 100P that I didn’t gel with at all. It sounded nice, but didn’t really hang with my old Mesas for my playing style. They sounded twice as big and bad in comparison.

They can sound fucking big i know, but i keep my depth a bit lower than other amps and it makes a big difference, it becomes more articulate and precise. Witch some might not like. I love modern tones so put that into consideration.

Purple channel with gain low and no aggression has a damn nice crunchy tone.

Thing is with Revv is that it has it's own sound. I think we always try and compare new amps to old tones, i know i am the like that!!! But if you play the amp and just enjoy it as it was ment to be, damn, it is one hell of a monster.

Modern amp. On the 3 and 4 channels. But the 2nd channel is pretty organic, but again, has that Revv signature tone.

I really praise the Generator 120, one of my best amps to date. I would not sell all my other amps but if i had to choose between all of them to just keep one..... This one would be my choice.

I am extremely interested in one of these. The Shawn Tubbs demo sounded great. Most of the demos that I have seen cater to modern metal type tones. I really don't go for those tones.. I'm more into modded Marshall tones these days. I love my Splawn, but would also love to pick up and amp with a good clean channel as well. I've been eyeballing a Friedman SS100. Just having a hard time swallowing the price tag.

I loved my Generator and would love to get a new one. It's a real polished modern sound that sits in a mix perfectly. FWIW, I communicated with Revv several times and found their customer support to be amazing.

Same here, customer service is top notch. Dan guided me through a problem i had with midi and my G System, i bought the amp used too!!!!

I remember the thread a while back talking about bad communications with them, i found out by myself that they are very fast to respond to emails.

Yeah it does sit in a mix great. I also am very interested in a new one!!!!

They can sound fucking big i know, but i keep my depth a bit lower than other amps and it makes a big difference, it becomes more articulate and precise. Witch some might not like. I love modern tones so put that into consideration.

Purple channel with gain low and no aggression has a damn nice crunchy tone.

Thing is with Revv is that it has it's own sound. I think we always try and compare new amps to old tones, i know i am the like that!!! But if you play the amp and just enjoy it as it was ment to be, damn, it is one hell of a monster.
Yes, it was definitely very articulate and modern sounding. In the hands of the right player, it would sound phenomenal. I go for more of an old school, raw and brutal tone. Definitely a cool amp, just not my bag. Glad you’re diggin it. (y)

Back