RIP: Hamer Guitars

I've owned 5. 2 T-51's, 1 Daytona, 1 Cruise Bass, 1 Artist Korina (w/P-90's). While I will say that Hamer didn't make the same pickup choices I would have, I can say that there was not a single thing wrong with any of the guitars from a construction, tone, or playability standpoint. One of the T-51's was a boat anchor but had a single piece swamp ash body and sounded frikkin' amazing. The Daytona was one of the best strats I've ever played. Of them, I still own the Artist, and it is bar none the most fun guitar I've ever played on stage.

Leave it to Fender to F up a good thing.

Greazygeo":1ffx2v4n said:
rupe":1ffx2v4n said:
Why shutter the brand as opposed to selling it? I'm not a Hamer fanboy by any means but I've owned a few and thought they were nice, well made guitars...it's a shame to see them gone.

Based on the language in the press release, I can see a limited run of Standards at astronomical prices in the coming years.
How else can Fender gain market share. They've expanded as much as they can and they are down to $99 guitars. The way they are doing it is buying up competing brands and doing away with them.

If they sell the name they will still have someone competing with them. It will work for awhile.
Hamer was done building any Fender clones back in the early 90's though...do you really think Strats and Teles were fighting for the same piece of the pie as Hamer's Gibson inspired designs? Seems to me that it's a very similar dynamic to your theory on Charvel and the Superstrat market seeing as Fender was never really able to crack that segment ("Gibson-ish") either with relative market failures like the Starcaster and Robben Ford Sig Models.

Sad to see Hamer die out, hands down one of the best built best bang for the $ guitars on the used market you can buy. The guys building them took some serious pride in their craft, shit even the control cavity fit and finish was beautiful.
Hamer guitars are one of the few guitar brands I don't give a second thought to buying without playing first, I've had from to old 70's 4 digit Standards and Sunburst up to a newer Studio Custom and everyone of them has been great guitars.

I never thought Hamer did a great job at marketing. I've been playing guitar since 1985 and I don't think I've ever seen a Hamer in person (if I have I forgot). I know I've never played one. I knew that Rick Nielson, the guy from No Doubt, and Mick Mars played them but I can't remember many more. Heard they were great though.

rupe":fz8c9hpz said:
How else can Fender gain market share. They've expanded as much as they can and they are down to $99 guitars. The way they are doing it is buying up competing brands and doing away with them.

If they sell the name they will still have someone competing with them. It will work for awhile.
Hamer was done building any Fender clones back in the early 90's though...do you really think Strats and Teles were fighting for the same piece of the pie as Hamer's Gibson inspired designs? Seems to me that it's a very similar dynamic to your theory on Charvel and the Superstrat market seeing as Fender was never really able to crack that segment ("Gibson-ish") either with relative market failures like the Starcaster and Robben Ford Sig Models.[/quote]I'd have to think the majority of sales were in the Slammer line of cheapies....not the expensive stuff. The Hamer stuff may compete more with the Custom shop stuff (at least on price point)? I've not followed either lines to be honest. You are probably right with the Gibson line of thinking. They were probably wanting to cut into that piece of the pie. :)

romanianreaper":1r6p0dtx said:
I never thought Hamer did a great job at marketing. I've been playing guitar since 1985 and I don't think I've ever seen a Hamer in person (if I have I forgot). I know I've never played one. I knew that Rick Nielson, the guy from No Doubt, and Mick Mars played them but I can't remember many more. Heard they were great though.
Judas Priest, Night Ranger, Steve Stevens, Martin Barre, Vernon Reid, Lita Ford, Felicia Collins (Letterman's band), Kip Winger, Brad Whitford, Paul Stanley, Fernando Von Arb, Tom Peterson, Doug Pinnick...I'm sure I'm missing a bunch. A lot of pros played them.

Better than any of my Gibson's.

IMG_0888_zpsbff792e8.jpg

killertone":1vjktt0b said:
I never had the chance to play one that was made by/during FMIC. Not sure if the quality was there like it was when Jol was doing it in CT. I have one from that era and it is an one of the best guitars I own.

Hamer and Jol worked under FMIC from 2007-2010 when Jol left the company. Any Hamer USA made during that time was during FMIC ownership and AFAIK quality didnt suffer at all...

I have a couple fmic era hamers and they are the best quality the company ever put out. The quality is better then the jacksons, gibsons, and fenders I have. My hamers are my favorites and I play them most.

Honestly I was [this] close to posting my Custom Studio for sale. I've had this guitar for 17 years, and although it's a great player, I just haven't been playing it much as of late. Loaded with tapped Riff Raffs, and dead mint, I plugged 'er in last night and realized why it is I've had it for 17 years - it's an incredible sounding guitar.

So on the news of Hamer's demise, I'll be keeping my Hamer indefinitely. It may not be a solid slab body, it's definitely not a Lester, but man, the thing plays incredibly well and sounds off the hook.

:dunno:

JTyson":p1ydj8z3 said:
DBU's got a killer group of Californians that make me tear up when I see them :cry:

Guitar%2520pics%2520013.jpg

Guitar%2520pics%2520014.jpg

Guitar%2520pics%2520021.jpg

:cry:

The necks are pieces of art!!! The Aztec Gold's neck plays perfectly at 3/32 off the frets, the Amber's neck plays perfectly at 2/32 off the frets. Unreal how well they are built and play. All of mine were made when Hamer owned Hamer, I had an endorsement with them right before the moved their production facility. When they told me they wouldn't build anymore USA Californians, I lost interest in them and moved on.

Good quality but they never, except for the USA Explorers and V's made a guitar I liked. I hate double cut's, the way they sit on a strap. Their LP style (Monaco?) had a ridiculously bulky looking neck joint. The USA stuff was incredibly expensive and re-sale was worse than G&L. Can't say I'll miss them. Didn't even know they were owned by Fender.

Hamer SS I
Pink / White binding
Bommerrang & LED Inlays
Bare Knuckle Rebel Yell & Slowhand HSS

Attachments

• 2012-11-17 13_29_12.jpg
    2012-11-17 13_29_12.jpg
    951.3 KB · Views: 3,158
Back