RIP: Hamer Guitars

I can understand FMIC doing this, now they can concentrate on what they do best - making 50 different models of stratocasters and telecasters with small changes to each.

Why shutter the brand as opposed to selling it? I'm not a Hamer fanboy by any means but I've owned a few and thought they were nice, well made guitars...it's a shame to see them gone.

Based on the language in the press release, I can see a limited run of Standards at astronomical prices in the coming years.

I never had the chance to play one that was made by/during FMIC. Not sure if the quality was there like it was when Jol was doing it in CT. I have one from that era and it is an one of the best guitars I own.

It is a shame, but I think it's been a long time coming. They sort of had this "we build what we want, not what you want" attitude going the last few years (unless of course you wanted to pay the astronomical price of a full one-off custom).

My Hamers are my favorite guitars ever (especially my Californian) :inlove:

4e6e31f4.jpg

306cfb18.jpg

IMG_1316.jpg

killertone":203mvuqt said:
I never had the chance to play one that was made by/during FMIC. Not sure if the quality was there like it was when Jol was doing it in CT. I have one from that era and it is an one of the best guitars I own.

I also have a jol-era Hamer... an explorer that I'll never let go of because how good it sounds and plays. After reading about the purchase of Hamer by Fender I lost interest in the modern version of the brand anyway.

They were gone when fender bought the name.
Buy your competition is the way big companies do things.
I would never buy anything from FMIC.

JJ

Jammin'John":uoez04b4 said:

JJ
Sometimes...but they did the exact opposite with Charvel

rupe":3eczrtzl said:
Jammin'John":3eczrtzl said:

JJ

Not true. Charvel wasn't competition since Charvel couldn't use the one thing that really made Charvel great to collector's...the Fender headstock. When Fender bought Charvel, they gained a huge market, by giving Charvel collector's their dream back :LOL: :LOL: It was a genius move.

Fuck Fender with the Hamer move though. It is very smart for them also, but Hamer was one of my favorites, along with Dean. Better hope Gibson never buys Dean...Shit, better hope Fender doesn't close Gretsch.

Fender has suspended production of Hamer guitars.

When asked about this, the spokesperson said "well, we found that it's pretty tough to make guitars with all these newfangled set necks and semi-hollow thingamabobbers.... why go to all that trouble when we can get a few hobos to slide a finished strat body across a parking lot, and then tack a grand on the price as a relic?.... oh wait, is that mic actually on?"

Atropos_Project":2n8x0n5b said:
Fender has suspended production of Hamer guitars.

When asked about this, the spokesperson said "well, we found that it's pretty tough to make guitars with all these newfangled set necks and semi-hollow thingamabobbers.... why go to all that trouble when we can get a few hobos to slide a finished strat body across a parking lot, and then tack a grand on the price as a relic?.... oh wait, is that mic actually on?"

:LOL: :LOL:

bigdaddyd":8o8axuzh said:
rupe":8o8axuzh said:
Jammin'John":8o8axuzh said:

JJ

Not true. Charvel wasn't competition since Charvel couldn't use the one thing that really made Charvel great to collector's...the Fender headstock. When Fender bought Charvel, they gained a huge market, by giving Charvel collector's their dream back :LOL: :LOL: It was a genius move.
:confused: So they resurrected a brand that they purchased that was not currently making guitars vs shutting down a brand that they purchased that was making guitars. How is that not the opposite?

And while I agree that it appeared to be a good financial move to re-release strathead models, there are plenty of Charvel players/collectors who have a lot of love for the pointy models as well. Additionally, a lot of the guys who had old ones were not too thrilled to see the new ones for a myriad of reasons.

rupe":39886r45 said:
bigdaddyd":39886r45 said:
rupe":39886r45 said:
Jammin'John":39886r45 said:

JJ

:confused: So they resurrected a brand that they purchased that was not currently making guitars vs shutting down a brand that they purchased that was making guitars. How is that not the opposite?

It is the opposite. But at the same time, Fender didn't recreate the Charvel market in 2004, it was already there. Guys like Lee Garver and Mike Shannon more or less did the market research for Fender up to that point, demonstrating that there was a sizable demand for old school stratheads.

And yeah, USA pointies are great guitars.

And yeah, it seriously hurt the market for those with pre-1986 ones.

It's only a matter of time before Fender runs the Charvel brand into the ground.

rupe":3pwxfqw1 said:
Why shutter the brand as opposed to selling it? I'm not a Hamer fanboy by any means but I've owned a few and thought they were nice, well made guitars...it's a shame to see them gone.

Based on the language in the press release, I can see a limited run of Standards at astronomical prices in the coming years.
How else can Fender gain market share. They've expanded as much as they can and they are down to $99 guitars. The way they are doing it is buying up competing brands and doing away with them.

If they sell the name they will still have someone competing with them. It will work for awhile.

bigdaddyd":1jtjj73f said:
Fender could never succesfully get into the superstrat market. They tried with the Heartfield line and many times in the 80's with the Fender name. Buying Charvel got them into that market and allowed the Charvels to have the strat headstock. Kind of a 2 for 1 deal.

Same with acoustics....they kept trying, but most wouldn't go for them....so they bought Guild instead.

who the hell was buying those things anyway?? I never saw a Hamer I would have even considered buying..rip

Back