Rumors of a Mark 6/7 coming on Tuesday?

This guy looks a little funky playing but his tone at the beginning here is pretty sweet.

That said, I don't think he ever engages the graphic eq so I'm not sure he knows how this amp works, lol

I hear a commonness skimming across multiple videos by multiple users of this thing and it’s apparent to me this amp sounds very flat and almost characterless. Way to go, Gibson!

I noticed that in the full mix example, Fluff actually mic'd a cab w/ V30s. I think a lot of these other videos are using the CabClone IR's, which I have always thought sounded like shit.

I bet this amp sounds great through V30 or H75 loaded cabs. I typically like 6L6 amps with the H Creamback because the midrange in the speaker fills out the more scooped 6L6 sound. I have an old Bogner oversized 2x12 with a V30 and an H Creamback in storage that I'm going to pull out today. I can't wait to plug into it with this amp tomorrow and see what I discover.

The world is full of shit doctors, lawyers, people and gear demo reviewers with Reza being the king but those Mark 7 ones are not too behind him.

They should learn with this guy:

Reactions: LCW
I think we can all agree the can clone sucks and i wished these review guys wouldnt use it, I dont think the amp sounds great in these vids people are posting and it needs to be in the hands of somebody who knows how to properly dial in a mark series amp and who actually adjusts the eq so that it isnt so flat sounding. Im sure theres great tones in this amp but most of these guys dont have a clue dialing in a decent tone.

I dont usually love fluffs tones but that sounds great

Compared to the kind of unbelievable number of absolute garbage Mark VII demos that have hit youtube so far, yeah Fluff's demo sounds head and shoulders above any of the other ones lol. :D

He gets some crap but man I guess sometimes we don't realize just how much better the more talented youtube guys are at what they do than everybody else when you compare them back-to-back like this.

On a similar note, we won't really know how good the Mark VII is until it is compared back-to-back with previous Mark amps. Personally I'm really looking forward to the direct comparisons with the Mark V:90 and V:25 for the Crunch and Mark 7 modes.

Last edited:
Reactions: LCW
I also see a lot of these videos using the 1x12 combo version with the Black Shadow speaker. Personally, I hate those speakers. Pretty sure they're based on the Celestion Lead 80, which is a very unusual sounding speaker. It's nice for cleans and big liquid leads but has this odd midrange and muffled top end. It sounds completely wrong for crunch and rhythm playing, which is 90% of what guitar playing is. I think one reason Fluff's demo sounds so good is because he used a real 2x12 with V30's.

I just caved in and ordered one! I'll report back when I get it. I know I'm taking a chance, but I love my Mark amps, so my fingers are crossed.
Congrats man!

I feel like the risk is pretty low. I got mine at Sweetwater. If I don't like it, I have a 30 day return policy. Plus, my SE there is awesome and I buy a lot of gear from him, so they will absolutely take it back. It's kind of just a hold on your credit card to try it out. 🤷‍♂️

These terrible demo videos are fun and all, but I don't think it's really possible to make any judgements until we hear direct A/B comparisons.

Think about how similar the Mark II, III, IV, V, Triaxis, Studio Pre, and Quad Pre sound. They all sound like Marks, and in isolation you think "yep that sure is a Mark amp" but it's only when you hear them A/B'd that the real and significant differences come out.

This amp is no different. "Yep, it sounds like a Mark" but we won't know if all the stripping-down of features and increased transformer size has improved the core tones until we hear it directly compared with previous Marks.

Pretty much every video posted online that is not a direct comparison with previous Marks is completely useless to anyone already remotely familiar with what Mark amps are.

Compared to the kind of unbelievable number of absolute garbage Mark VII demos that have hit youtube so far, yeah Fluff's demo sounds head and shoulders above any of the other ones lol. :D

He gets some crap but man I guess sometimes we don't realize just how much better the more talented youtube guys are at what they do than everybody else when you compare them back-to-back like this.

On a similar note, we won't really know how good the Mark VII is until it is compared back-to-back with previous Mark amps. Personally I'm really looking forward to the direct comparisons with the Mark V:90 and V:25 for the Crunch and Mark 7 modes.

i definitely realize, thats why im one of the lone defenders of a lot of these guys but thats for a different thread. im looking forward to comparisons too, even if all things are equal though the IR thing with different channels is definitely cool, seems like they thought this one over pretty well

These terrible demo videos are fun and all, but I don't think it's really possible to make any judgements until we hear direct A/B comparisons.

Think about how similar the Mark II, III, IV, V, Triaxis, Studio Pre, and Quad Pre sound. They all sound like Marks, and in isolation you think "yep that sure is a Mark amp" but it's only when you hear them A/B'd that the real and significant differences come out.

This amp is no different. "Yep, it sounds like a Mark" but we won't know if all the stripping-down of features and increased transformer size has improved the core tones until we hear it directly compared with previous Marks.

Pretty much every video posted online that is not a direct comparison with previous Marks is completely useless to anyone already remotely familiar with what Mark amps are.
I'd even go further at this point and argue none of us will know the difference unless we have it in our own hands to truly soak in the "feel". Sure, the A/B clips can expose differences but that is still based on how the player tweaks all the knobs of each (finnicky) amp. Knowing that even individual Marks of the same model have slight tonal differences, I personally will never know for sure if I would prefer the VII over anything else until it's in my music room. Having 4 Marks in my stable at the moment, I can tell you that my personal preferences are more centered around feel than tone.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with enjoying an amp for what it is without the A/B. A lot of us can admit that while the A/B is the most definitive, it's also a huge investment in time and money to arrange that kind of setup...in many cases a luxury that few have or care to pursue. For example I doubt I'll ever have the Mark V and Mark VII at the same time, but on their own I might enjoy them immensely.

I'd even go further at this point and argue none of us will know the difference unless we have it in our own hands to truly soak in the "feel". Sure, the A/B clips can expose differences but that is still based on how the player tweaks all the knobs of each (finnicky) amp. Knowing that even individual Marks of the same model have slight tonal differences, I personally will never know for sure if I would prefer the VII over anything else until it's in my music room. Having 4 Marks in my stable at the moment, I can tell you that my personal preferences are more centered around feel than tone.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with enjoying an amp for what it is without the A/B. A lot of us can admit that while the A/B is the most definitive, it's also a huge investment in time and money to arrange that kind of setup...in many cases a luxury that few have or care to pursue. For example I doubt I'll ever have the Mark V and Mark VII at the same time, but on their own I might enjoy them immensely.
Totally agree. A big part of a Mark is that response and feel you only get by playing one. That combination of tightness, punch and liquid. My old Mark 4 had it and the mk3's and 2C+'s I have tried certainly did as well. Some of the demo's, ya, they don't sound good, but a couple of them (Larks, Fluffs) give me hope. Won't know until I try one, or more guys around here do, but I am optimistic.

This 100%. My Mark IV sounds very good...then plug into the IIC++ and well, its eye(ear) opening. Punch and juice and harmonics galore. Its a raw and on the verge of exploding feeling.

My Mesa Boogie Mark Series Dream Amp:

Channel 1 Voicings: Clean (JP2C or Tweed clean), Fat, Mark I, Pull bright

Channel 2 Voicings: Crunch, Mark IIB, Mark VII, Pull bright, Pull presence

Channel 3 Voicings: Mark III (red stripe), Mark IIC+, Mark IV (Rev A) Pull mod switch which changes Mark III to black/red stripe, changes Mark IIC+ to IIC++, and changes Mark IV from Rev A to Rev B. Pull Bright, Pull Fat, Pull Presence

2 Assignable EQ’s

Channel voicings and mod switch both foot switchable

Reverb

Channel assignable effects loop

Tubes: 4-6L6 or 4-EL-34 or 2-6L6 and 2-EL34

Midi Capable

Cab Clone IR

Back