Sammy, Joe, Mike and Jason play Van Halen on Howard Stern's show

Wasn't a huge Sammy fan til I saw him live. His shows are a great time.
I'd never judge a band by a performance like this, in a tight, low-volume room with modeling stuff and crap for monitoring.
It's in no way indicative of what it would be like live, through a big sound system, and a live audience.
Bet they'll rock it.

You can ask any rock or metal singer about 80's and even early 90's Sammy and what he did on those albums performance wise. Those performances are out of this world and if you don't realize that when you listen to them you simply have no idea about it. He is superhuman on some of that shit, and its not just about his range. Lyrically I would agree he is nothing special. Especially when he was trying to write "raunchy" lyrics they're cringy. You can tell Sammy is not that guy while Dave is a very believable lecherous pervert.

Seriously. Roth is probably the worst singer to ever have such talented players around him. It's actually pretty funny to think of how little ability and talent he had with Eddie, Vai, and Becker ostensibly backing him up during his career. Ostensibly only because at least in Eddie's case, he was almost equally fronting the band. Maybe aside from nostalgia that's the other reason some guitarists are so militantly anti anything but Roth era VH - when Roth was in, the guitar essentially always overshadowed the vocal. The vocal was necessary but more of an accompaniment to the instrumental.
Van Halen with Roth was the complete package. It didn't matter that Roth wasn't a great singer, nobody cared. Nobody, nobody came close to what he did at that point onstage. He truly was the MC before that term was ever popularized in modern music. They took Zep's recipe and supercharged it - all the 80's act would follow.

And as great as the guitar was, again it was the whole package. The lyrics, the delivery, the talent, Alex, Ed and most importantly the Attitude. Basically Van Halen outdid Kiss without all the bombast, the makeup and pyro - and Kiss is my favorite band.

Van Halen was a tank destroying everything in it's path. Van Hagar was a Porsche trying to blend in with alot of other fancy cars.

Obviously we disagree and that's fine. As I said before I just glad I got see VH from the beginning, it was just cool.

Last edited:
From where I’m sitting the split is with the Van Halen brothers and everyone else.

It’s Hagar’s music as well. I don’t see this as any sort of “tribute”—Hagar, MA (and DLR for that matter) were treated like dogshit by those guys. Sammy’s prob doing this just to piss AVH off.
Oh there will be little classic VH played. Hagar rarely sang any of the classics and when they did, he'd let Mike take lead sometimes. 95% of the set will be Van Hagar era.

Oh there will be little classic VH played. Hagar rarely sang any of the classics and when they did, he'd let Mike take lead sometimes. 95% of the set will be Van Hagar era.
It’ll still piss Alex off and I think Sammy and MA love that

My initial observation is that there seems to be an issue with band chemistry (especially for VH tunes)in these videos. As we all know, Alex & Ed had a very unique groove. It all begins with the drummer IMHO. That said, I love these guys and I'm sure it will be much better once they properly rehearse/prepare.

:rolleyes: Tickets near me start at $75

That's so super duper crazy weird to me that both you and I don't seem to have any objections to this and we also both aren't finding absurd ticket prices! :ROFLMAO:

The highest ticket price I'm seeing in West Palm is $883 for the 3rd row, in the middle of the stage. My ticket was $150w/ fees directly behind the soundboard.

Tickets start at $48 here. I actually prefer the lawn for most shows at this place and rarely sit under the shed.
Screen Shot 2023-11-18 at 11.45.34 AM.png

so this is really a "revenge" tour and not a tribute?? it would almost be maybe kind of cool if that was the case. not really though

i listened to him a bunch yesterday, theres definitely cool moments but its just not my thing. "elevator shred" is how i would describe it

Even in my high school virtuoso shred worship days, Satch was never my particular favorite. A lot of his songs just sound like someone soloing over backing tracks to me, as where Vai was writing dense orchestrations under his stuff, or Petrucci being in an actual band. That said, I'll generally go see him live whenever I get the chance, I strongly prefer him in a live setting. Better tones, more energy and I'm more receptive to it overall. He has some really great melodies over his albums and his approach is more akin to sticking instrumental guitar in a top 40/pop song format.

I find him particular enjoyable after I've hit the bong a couple times.

You’re a class act.
Both Ed and Al said Sammy had a bad work ethic, that’s why they got rid of him. His son never organized a tribute for his father, yet plays other people’s tributes. There’s three class acts right there.

Both Ed and Al said Sammy had a bad work ethic, that’s why they got rid of him. His son never organized a tribute for his father, yet plays other people’s tributes. There’s three class acts right there.
Ed and Al sound like colossal pricks…are there any band members they DIDN’T fuck over?

Maybe his son is sick of playing his fathers music and doesn’t care what other people think

Back