Saw Judas Priest Friday Night

MadAsAHatter

My wife and I went see Judas Priest Friday night when they came through Baton Rouge. It was an awesome performance. I was kind of expecting Halfords voice to be shot to hell and end up sounding as bad as Vince Neil is. He was actually sounding really good. He stayed in pitch the whole time and could still pull off some of the higher pitched stuff without sounding like he was struggling. For being over 70 years old and singing for 50, he can still bring it. Not sure what gear they're using now, but the rest of the band was on point and guitar tones were killer too. Overall a great show.

Side story. This was my wife's first heavy metal concert. She does listen to some metal but has never gone to any of those live concerts. She'll usually go see pop bands; ones that are more about the stage show than the music. She loved it and really got into it. While I'm typing this she just said it was one of the best shows she's been to. During the concert she commented to me about how good the music was sounding and how much energy the band was putting out just playing without all the theatrics. After the show she looks at me and says (more yells) "This is the first concert I've been to where my ears are ringing." All I could say back was "Well... you finally did it right" :LOL:

1668945805491.png

Halford always sounds great. Love the guys that make the PA shake!

Not my first but I also saw Screaming for Vengeance tour as a young lad. Still listen to it.

Same...in 1982 for the Vengeance tour. They were amazing.
dude, Same tour for me!!! I was standing on the floor with an older friend. Priest came out and I was on Tipton’s side. I was bummed because I thought KK did all the solos. Man was I ever immediately surprised and happy to be right in front of Tipton lol
edit I have to mention that my mom and my grandma took me lolololol my mom and grandma were so cool haha

Last edited:
dude, Same tour for me!!! I was standing on the floor with an older friend. Priest came out and I was on Tipton’s side. I was bummed because I thought KK did all the solos. Man was I ever immediately surprised and happy to be right in front of Tipton lol
edit I have to mention that my mom and my grandma took me lolololol my mom and grandma were so cool haha
That's awesome! I went with my bud and his older sister, some of her friends....super hot 17 yr olds when I was in 8th grade haha...good times

Sounds like a great experience with your wife.

Sadly my wife hates Metal. I took her to see a killer band back when we first started dating. She hated it 🤣
Half the time I understand her viewpoint . Where Priest always excelled was their songs usually contained these modern abstract concepts like melody , musicality , and some measure of coherent song structure . LOL !!!

Saw them 3 weeks ago in Mankato MN . Took my wife also she is a Priest fan. Was a good show. I remember Rob's amazing voice when they opened for Kiss in 1979. I was hooked. Don't think I have missed a show in MN.

Mrhiwatt

Saw them on the firepower tour
And was amazed at some of the stuff they chose to do
Saints in Hell , Solar Angels and Fever ( which I have not seen them do in years) and Halford pretty much went for it , you could tell into towards the end of the show he was wearing out but he is 70 man
And that last verse of Fever is so ridiculously high

I saw Priest a few years ago and Halford sounded awesome. Tipton was still with them and sounded great as well.
Is Glenn sick/health issues?
Rock Hall of Shame awards last night inducted them and of course they hit the stage.
He reminded me of Mick Mars with his lack of stage antics.

KK was full of energy and Rob,looking like a Metal Santa with his big full white beard ,introduces himself as " I'm the Gay member of the band.

LOL

Halford’s voice has held up better than literally anyone I can think of. It’s probably because everything he does is in mix and head voice, and he always sounds like he brings his head voice down into his “chest range” where a lot of guys push their chest up into the head range - and that will definitely take a toll, especially when you use an aggressive style.

Halford actually doesn’t sing super loud, although the frequencies that are resonating strongly at those higher pitches naturally sound very loud. He has said he learned to rely on the microphone a long time ago, and if you’ve worked on this kind of singing that’s what you have to do, because pushing too much air is counterproductive. You have to “thin” the voice out and find the areas to sort of focus your soundwaves so they make the harmonic overtones and distortion.

Guys like David Coverdale never developed good technique for singing high with distortion and it always showed in his live performances even when he was younger, and it took a major toll. He sounded like shit trying to pull off the high Zeppelinesque shit by his late 30’s.

It’s a lot of trial and error and developing muscle memory - it can be frustrating. And everyone sounds different based on their physiology. Halford naturally has a voice that sounds great doing this stuff in this way. In his speaking voice there is already an almost twangy bright resonance.

Back