So I went to the Mammoth WVH show last night.....Nita Strauss opened up for Wolfie...

harddriver

I have to say I am not a Mammoth fan I only know the few songs played on the radio but a friend of mine who is also a big EVH VH fan that I have gone to all my VH shows with asked if I wanted to go so I said yeah sure. Nita came out and it was all instrumental MSG kind of shredding for all but the last three or four songs it was alright but what really made it unenjoyable was that whatever modeler she was using both guitars amps were a muddy mess, no mids, no definition would not cut and what came out of the PA sounded like an AM radio and for all her years of playing she was not as polished as she should have been. At one time the PA amps popped a circuit breaker and went totally silent and she was still hearing the total mix in her earpiece and she kept playing like the audience was hearing the band and we were not for about a minute, it was pretty funny............:ROFLMAO:

Nita played like she was bored and phoning it in as well as her rythym player, the drummer played pretty good.

Next up Wolfie's soundcheck there are two EVH cabs left(wolfie) and right stage(rythym player) but I could not see what amps they were using I even walked around trying to peek into his roadcases and I could not get a look.....Immediately the amps tone was present, cutting withcutting mids huge improvement as they were micing live cabinets and I am assuming EVHIII amps. Wolfie played his EVH semi holloew bodied guitars all night and he sparingly played any solo's but he pulled off a couple really nice tasetful ones with some conviction and ability but if he can play like his old man he was restraining himself.

Wolfie's band was tight and well polished and professional which tells me wolfie demands excellence like his old man.

BTW Wolfie sold the entire place out it was standing room only I'm guessing 1000 to 1500 people and Wolfie was very appreciative and he repeatedly thanked the crowd which was nice. Alot of people said they venue had oversold the show and the fire marshall was looking the other way.

As I sat listening to his music I kept trying to describe his genre to myself and the best I could come up with was Melodic Pop Grunge Rock with hints of Hard Rock and metal at times almost like he was trying to be all things to all people, I dunno it was just that way his music hit me being the first I've heard alot of his music.

All in all it was a good show........:2thumbsup:

Last edited:
Let me guess, she was wearing tight, shiny, black pants? A great metal scoop tone would be Nita’s bottom end with some of Mimi’s top end. Super tone team up 😉

Wolf’s using a 50-watt 6L6 EVH head live.

I’m going to catch him next week, but Intervals is opening. I should probably check out his first album. I dig a ton of the 2nd one.

15048058263_05c06bf2fd_z.jpg

Last edited:
When we saw him last year Nita and Intervals were the openers. Both opening acts bored the hell out of me. Nita is using a Boss modeling unit. I thought her tone was god awful. And she was buried in the mix. If she was not as attractive as she is, no one would care... she reminds me of a lot of the Instagram guitarists... lots of flash and technique, with no song substance. Don't get me wrong, her technique smokes mine all day long. I just don't find her music interesting. It sounds like a practice routine to me.

Wolfgang sounded absolutely killer. He is using a 5150 III 50-watt 6L6. The guy with the beard is using a 50-watt EL34S. The third guitarist that also plays with Slash usings the 50-watt 6L6 Stealth. There is a rig rundown on YouTube for them. And yes, it was very apparent that it went from modelers to real amps.

The last rig rundown I saw for nita, she was using a Friedman be-od pedal straight to mix, no amp or model. She had a Boss processor I think and maybe a few other pedals but the "tone" was the be pedal.

Back