Schematic for Jose Build

FourT6and2, I own one of your custom Jose builds and it's a stellar amp. A mean machine with a bad attitude, sounds like it needs anger management. Your work is exceptional (y)

Thanks, Neil! Glad you're enjoying it :) And yeah, my tonal taste gravitates toward an angry and pissed-off character. But not too hairy, so it retains some of that sweetness and isn't too fatiguing on the ear.

I just wanted to thank you guys for your thoughts and knowledge that you have shared in these posts. Much appreciated!

I see the video & photo on the first post - but I don't see a schematic in it - just a broken image link dczq6kk-08933baf-9d55-4139-9edc-e7c021cf795d.jpg . Was the schematic removed?

I *would* or I do? Because I don't really sell amps. I've sold a few here and there over the years but it's just a hobby.
For someone like me who can barely swap pickups or bias an old amp, where would you begin to learn how to make a guitar amp? I think it's really awesome you can make one.

I think it'd be cool to hardwire the 18v zeners across the master volume, then put MPSA06 on one side of a three-way, and 2N5401 on the other. That way the "clipping" switch would act as a high-gain "flavor" type of thing and when set in the middle, the amp would still be high-gain but more of an '80s monster
I wanted to do something similar but still with a "no clipper" option. It seems that having a clipping "style" switch combined with a clipping ON/OFF switch with a compensation resistor for no volume drop would be ideal but its a whole nuther switch.

I wanted to do something similar but still with a "no clipper" option. It seems that having a clipping "style" switch combined with a clipping ON/OFF switch with a compensation resistor for no volume drop would be ideal but its a whole nuther switch.

That's basically what I did with the amp in the first post. Except no volume compensation. Just a 6-position rotary. First position is no clipping and then I have a bunch of diode/transistor options. I don't think volume comp is needed since you're not really switching live during a song. The amount of clipping changes but the "tone" is pretty consistent between all the options so I don't see why it would be necessary to switch live. There are very slight gain-character changes but it's not audible in the context of a live band to the point where the audience (or anybody) would hear a difference when switched live during a song. So really... it's not hard to just reach over and spin the master volume a bit to compensate IMO.

Back