SD Distortion - Why shouldn't I?

Death by Uberschall

Ok, so I got my 2000 model Gary Moore LP on the way and although they are my favorites, I don't want to put the EMG 81/85combo in it because I want to retain the stock look of the guitar.

%2524T2eC16R%252C%2521ykE9s7t%2529cPNBRj7MPUsEg%257E%257E60_12.JPG

In my 1st one I had installed the SD Jazz in the neck and SD Distortion in the bridge. The Jazz is staying as I haven't found a passive HB I like better in the neck position. I planned on putting another SD Dist in the bridge, but I am open to suggestions. I want clear clean full tones out of my bridge pup with no mud or brittleness, with gobs of harmonics when needed, and I usually prefer ceramic magnets with higher output. Basically as close as I can get to an EMG 81 tone or better.

Here are a few I've looked at:

SD
Alternative 8
Distortion

Suhr
Aldridge

MCP
Solutions - ceramic

BKP
Miracle Man - ceramic

Toss others in the mix and/or convince me the SD Distortion needs to go. :thumbsup:

I've got a Holydiver in my GT, and love it. This thing is a serious badass. Cleans up great but gets mean fast on my Rec Red channel.

I've got a Painkiller sitting here that I keep meaning to try in it just to see what a ceramic BKP sounds like in this guitar, but every time I fire that HD up I lose interest in changing it.

i find the SD distortion model to be muddy in a les paul. other guitars, they're not terrible. but for clarity, knock, punch, a goosed up output above a normal paf, and a reallly friendly bite on the top end, i just find the duncan custom the cat's ass for les pauls dude.

search sh-5 or duncan custom here...you'll find that a LOT of guys love them in LP's for many a reason. the other thing is, they sound REALLY good in the middle postion.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

The odd thing for me is that my last GM LP wasn't dark or muddy with the SD Dist. It was actually bright in the upper mids and hi end, which was surprising to me. I've heard LPs with Dimarzio Super Distortions that were muddy as hell though.

I have two of the same guitars, one with an SD Distortion and the other a MCP Solution. Although I prefer the sound of the SD, the Solution has brighter upper mids and comes closer to the sound of an EMG 81. YMMV. My favorite pickup in a mahogany guitar is the SD Distortion with the 500t a close second.

It really depends on the tonal signature of the guitar...contrary to the common myth, Les Pauls don't all sound alike, and frequently sound VERY different.
In my experience, you're right on track with the Duncan Distortion...in most cases it does exactly what you're looking for. If you find it to be too dark, the Duncan Custom (SH5) would be a good next step...it's a bit brighter with slightly less output (but still very hot). You also might like the Custom 5...it's an aggressive, somewhat scooped sounding pickup that matches up well with a high gain "middy" amp.

SD Distortion = fairly tight but there's always something fizzy and messy about it.

For something in that vein get a BKP Painkiller and don't look back. I was quite surprised that the hype on these is real.

I would vote for the SD Custom too. I have it in a mahogany neck-through guitar of my own, and I love it. It will do all those things you want it to do, and it's a ceramic magnet.

Id go with a custom as well. I have a custom 5 in my horizon, and it sounds awesome. Heavy and beefy yet super clear. Not as tight as an 81, but I expected that since its not a ceramic magnet. The custom, however, is ceramic.

Honestly, with all the pickup choices that SD and Dimarzio offer, I wont ever buy another boutique pickup. After not gelling with BKP Painkillers, and loving the MCP Hellbabies (discontinued, not necessarily an improvement over any other pickup Ive played), I've found that BKP and the likes just dont offer anything worth spending twice the cost of a duncan or dimarzio.

Dean Lights Out Schenker sig pup. You will not be disappointed. It's essentially a warmer Duncan SH-5 with more mids and a tighter bottom.

I have a Dimarzio Super Distortion and Liquifire set in my Charvel.

Sound great, the Super Distortion never gets muddy with any amount of gain or volume. Cleans up well with the volume knob and is very warm and fat. My favourite humbucker.

As for liquifire, think of john petrucci neck pickup tone and your there. Also does clean well to.

EyesOfTheSouth":2xy16ve0 said:
Dean Lights Out Schenker sig pup. You will not be disappointed. It's essentially a warmer Duncan SH-5 with more mids and a tighter bottom.
Great pickup. Nothing like an EMG 81.

rbasaria":37vzzmh3 said:
Honestly, with all the pickup choices that SD and Dimarzio offer, I wont ever buy another boutique pickup. After not gelling with BKP Painkillers, and loving the MCP Hellbabies (discontinued, not necessarily an improvement over any other pickup Ive played), I've found that BKP and the likes just dont offer anything worth spending twice the cost of a duncan or dimarzio.

Seriously, boutique pickups are so much hype. BKP were nice for people in Europe, but importing them over when you have so many SD and Dimarzio models readily available in North America seems a bit exaggerated.

I think BKPs are just like any other pickup. That being said some of my all time favorite tones came from a BKP Nailbomb set in a swamp ash guitar, and my other fav came from a set of warpigs in a swamp ash guitar.

Keep in mind, because we all forget, Seymour Duncan is a boutique pick up company too, they just happen to be very successful at it. And don't forget about their custom shop. :2thumbsup:

Back