Sell a few amps and get an Axe II & pwr amp?

I have heard quite a few tube guys go Axe. It seems to be extremely well done. I am thinking of keeping my MKIIC and Dr. Z, and selling a few others and get the Axe II rig. The convenience and sound quality are strong.

So does the Axe do a reasonable Diezel? It seems people have commented most everything else.

I don't mind green screen. I knew VB and C+ for my job a while back. The new scenes seem great. Almost like the issues with the Axe II are being addresses one by one.

Anyway.... Not selling off all amps, just looking at the next significant amp. Maybe it should be to try an A2.

Thx

I don't see anything wrong with trying things out. The only time I wouldn't recommend this approach is if you want to sell it all and convert for the sake of conversion (tubes vs solid state/digital). I have witnessed quite a few people end up being disappointed because it didn't sound just like the original amp. Money lost and the pain of selling and returning is a suck across the entire gear change.

If you are buying to add additional colors to the palette then I say go for it. To be honest, I don't care if it is digital or tubes. If it sounds and feels good then it is all good. The Axe II sounds like an awesome piece of gear. I would also say take a look at the Kemper as well. I recently picked one up and love it. Running it direct and with a Matrix GT800. I am surprised how plug and play it has been. I did purchase a few profiles (Marshall JCM800, Marshall 70 Superlead Plexi, Friedman Brown Eye, Mesa Boogie Mark II Mod, Diezel VH4 and Diezel Herbert) from the Amp Factory and I am loving them. I'll try and make some clips and post them here.

I sold off all of my "Marshall types" AfTER I got the Axe 2 just so I could compare side by side. Obviously, the Axe 2 won out for me. I kept my '65 Princeton Reverb just so I could still be invited to "tube guys" parties.

Keep a few of your hard to replace amps for noodling and occasional messing around or reference.

Get a new Axe II loaded with 9.0 firmware direct from Fractal Audio or from Tone Merchants. Instead of a power amp and using cabs, buy two FRFR active monitors and don't look back. You are leaving half the goodness of the A2 on the table by bypassing the amp/cab sims. And, if Santa is real good to you, grab the MFC pedal board. Plug and play....

Start reading the manual now.

I jumped on the AxeII ride when it first came out (FW2.0 I think) and honestly it just keeps getting
better with each FW upgrade.
I go back and forth between it and my real amp but could be totally happy with just the Axe.

I think they still have a pretty good try out period so really there's not much to lose to try one out.

I love my Axe-FX II and other than a Marshall DSL I just picked up from my cousin for $200, I don't have any other amps. Like others mentioned, I don't recommend just selling off all of your gear to get an Axe-FX II. If anything, keep one amp just so you can have that "back and forth" with the two. Everyone knows that musicians are fickle about everything. :)

It's fun to try new stuff and you might like it. I had it from versions 4 to 6, I think, and couldn't like it. But 1) I couldn't commit to pouring money into a FRFR set up or expensive power amps because I just wasn't sure I wanted to keep it and 2) the VH4 is the sound in my head, and at least at the time, the available Diezel model was awful, IMHO.

Now, things are different (new Diezel models, ability to tone match a favorite amp). I suspect that if I bought one now and bought suitable supporting equipment, my opinion would be different.

There and back again. Modellers do not work for me as a primary amp or set of amps. If I do not treat it like an amp, but rather just as an effects box.. Well, lesson learned. Envy those it works for, highly suggest trying before selling anything. Since there is no more wait list, and since the warranty dies when the unit leaves the original purchaser, you will lose money on the resale.

cardinal":1ujt1h0b said:
It's fun to try new stuff and you might like it. I had it from versions 4 to 6, I think, and couldn't like it. But 1) I couldn't commit to pouring money into a FRFR set up or expensive power amps because I just wasn't sure I wanted to keep it and 2) the VH4 is the sound in my head, and at least at the time, the available Diezel model was awful, IMHO.

Now, things are different (new Diezel models, ability to tone match a favorite amp). I suspect that if I bought one now and bought suitable supporting equipment, my opinion would be different.

Yep, depends on what the end game is and what you are seeking. I didn't buy the A2 for all the models or even all the FX. I went into it knowing I wanted something direct to FOH and with the monitors in order to take full advantage of it. I was going for FOH sound quality and ease of set up.

If I was still needing to drag around a heavy rack with a power amp and a cab, I would have never done the Axe thing.

I basically have 3 amps set up with 4 different scenes with the same FX blocks across all 3. Easy set up. Just a little EQ to taste to the FRFR's and a flat FOH. Easy stuff.

Having done all that, I still have a few favorite amps around in the cave for nostalgia. :D

Steve

steve_k":78zmubco said:
cardinal":78zmubco said:

Yep, depends on what the end game is and what you are seeking. I didn't buy the A2 for all the models or even all the FX. I went into it knowing I wanted something direct to FOH and with the monitors in order to take full advantage of it. I was going for FOH sound quality and ease of set up.

If I was still needing to drag around a heavy rack with a power amp and a cab, I would have never done the Axe thing.

I basically have 3 amps set up with 4 different scenes with the same FX blocks across all 3. Easy set up. Just a little EQ to taste to the FRFR's and a flat FOH. Easy stuff.

Having done all that, I still have a few favorite amps around in the cave for nostalgia. :D

Steve

Except for the hauling I think you would have been very happy with a Two Notes LIVE and your fav amp.

Did you check out the new Atomic FRFR cabs? Very cab like, no wedge. You may dig them.

Shark Diver":365dkpog said:
steve_k":365dkpog said:
cardinal":365dkpog said:

Steve

Except for the hauling I think you would have been very happy with a Two Notes LIVE and your fav amp.

Did you check out the new Atomic FRFR cabs? Very cab like, no wedge. You may dig them.

I don't understand the Two Notes stuff. Load box + cab impulses? What's this website thing you have to access and pay for for it?

One piece of digital gear at a time. And, you are probably right - I could probably get on well with it. Not now though.

As far as the Atomic monitors that are like cabs, not needed. With these RCF monitors up front and off to the side and hearing me in a full stereo field, I never once missed the fact that there was no cab behind me at all. Never even thought about it while I was playing.

Steve

The Two Notes LIVE is a load box with IRs. Best of both worlds. SO, you could have a regular rig and just nix the cabs with this for FoH. Or use the thru and have both. Basically seamless integration with any current rig. :)

Never used the online/computer stuff.

Shark Diver":2dt7t6nw said:
The Two Notes LIVE is a load box with IRs. Best of both worlds. SO, you could have a regular rig and just nix the cabs with this for FoH. Or use the thru and have both. Basically seamless integration with any current rig. :)

I could probably dig it. What sort of IR's come packaged up in it?

steve_k":2oa139bu said:
Shark Diver":2oa139bu said:

I could probably dig it. What sort of IR's come packaged up in it?

They have there own, but you can load up to 528 of any others I believe.

The responses are great!

I hear loud and clear the advice to keep the favorite amps. I can get the nostalgia thing as well. My old MKIIC is one of those. A piece of history. I hear ya on regrets.

Clearly it is time to download the manual and consider selling a few less frequent players. Nobody complained about too steep of a learning curve. And a few guys over 30 and set in their ways. Very encouraging. The fact that long time tweakers are able to find 5-10 money settings and go is awesome. It is a feature rich piece, but it seems you don't get button paralysis and lock up.

And the Axe II would help me focus on making a few scenes and just enjoy playing and recording.

Just gotta share some love back. Despite the heinous offenses of some in posting For Sale ads without pics, or Mailman's hairy assed short short pics :LOL: :LOL: :no: ... and other notorious crimes against humanity..

This place is pretty cool. Thanks for great practical advice.

Back