Shure SM7b for recording guitar?

amiller

Samtheman has been killing me with his clips. The tone and playing are great but what really kills me is the awesome sound of the recordings. It's like your sitting right there in the room with him while he's recording those great clips. I noticed that he's using a Shure SM7b? So, after asking him about it here, I decided to do a little more research and found some great Youtube mic shootout vids featuring the SM7b, MD421 and an SM57. The SM7b just killed in those vids...IMHO.

So, who has had experience with this mic and what are your thoughts?

Below are the youtube vids:

To overly-simplify things, an SM7b is basically an SM57. There's obviously some differences, but the capsules are the same.

That said, the internal workings, the filters added to the 7b, the placement of the cap, the wind guard, etc, etc, will change it.

Basically, it's hard to go wrong with either one. The SM7b will force you to place the capsule further away from the speaker than the SM57, which is a bonus if you're trying to avoid proximity effect.

Also, notice in the video, he has the low filter and high/high-mid boost on on the SM7b, which would account for the difference in tone. Coupled with the proximity effect going on with the SM57 clip, and the fact the positions (especially the "center" position) are not the same, and you wind up with some fairly drastic differences in tone from mics that are basically the same.

SomeGuyChi":2roqyyxs said:
To overly-simplify things, an SM7b is basically an SM57. There's obviously some differences, but the capsules are the same.

That said, the internal workings, the filters added to the 7b, the placement of the cap, the wind guard, etc, etc, will change it.

Basically, it's hard to go wrong with either one. The SM7b will force you to place the capsule further away from the speaker than the SM57, which is a bonus if you're trying to avoid proximity effect.

Don't believe they are the same capsule an their Is a significant difference in sound. It's a good amp mic

Audioholic":2ks7hhob said:
SomeGuyChi":2ks7hhob said:

Don't believe they are the same capsule an their Is a significant difference in sound. It's a good amp mic

They are "basically" the same capsule. Call up Shure, they'll tell you the same thing, they are both based on the Unidyne III cap. While there are differences, they are negligible.

Proximity effect and the internal filters of the SM7b will have a bigger effect on overall tone.

"Proximity effect and the internal filters of the SM7b will have a bigger effect on overall tone."

Whatever makes the difference it is alot. On those two vids the SM7b just sounds way more vocal and clear. If I got one I would probably use the filters as he had them set and I would augment the bottom with just a tad bit of sm57.

According to John, the development of the SM7 went something like this: “A group of Shure acoustical engineers were given the SM57 cartridge element (Unidyne III) and asked, without restrictions on size or cost, to make it better. And they went nuts.” This may be one reason why John likes to refer to the SM7B as “an SM57 on steroids”.

Variations of the Shure Unidyne III cartridge are used in many of Shure’s dynamic microphones. The SM57, SM58 and SM7B all share a similar acoustic network based on the Unidyne III element, but there are a few differences between the SM7B cartridge and the SM57/SM58 cartridge design:

The SM7B diaphragm is slightly different and optimized for increased low end response
The larger housing of the SM7B allows for a larger rear volume behind the cartridge which extends its low end response
The internal shockmount of the SM7B is optimized to reduce stand vibrations, while the shockmount in the SM57/SM58 is optimized to reduce noise in handheld applications
More from John: “The SM7 was designed as an extended, full range microphone and intended to be universal in its applications. It has a flatter and wider response than its SM57 and SM58 siblings but its frequency shaping switches in the back (selectable low cut and presence peak filtering) allow it to more than adequately fulfill (and enhance) applications where the SM57 or SM58 excel.”

I have both and there is a big difference in sound, whatever the reason. Sm7 is good for guitar. Whether it is better then a 57 on a particular cab and setting can vary

Audioholic":utk4oeq8 said:
I have both and there is a big difference in sound, whatever the reason. Sm7 is good for guitar. Whether it is better then a 57 on a particular cab and setting can vary

Have you tried comparing them with the capsules lined up on the same spot on the speaker? I'll do that at the studio tomorrow and post my results.

Cool stuff guys. I like a good level headed debate on a given topic.

SomeGuyChi, I look forward to hearing your results.

When I listen to the two vids I posted the SM57 and MD421 sound almost exactly like my recordings of the same two mics in the same positioning he used. There always seems to be lots of bass and hi-end but a big hole in the guitar "vocal" mids.

amiller":nbxqg58y said:

When I listen to the two vids I posted the SM57 and MD421 sound almost exactly like my recordings of the same two mics in the same positioning he used. There always seems to be lots of bass and hi-end but a big hole in the guitar "vocal" mids.

I cannot stand using a 421 stand-alone on a guitar cab, but combined with another mic like a 57, it's fantastic. I usually use 3 mics on a cab: a 57 (or an Audix i5), a 421, and a 414. Those are summed "to tape," usually with a bit of pre-eq cleaning up the low end. I like to commit to a sound and start prepping it for mix from the get-go. First instincts are usually the best, in my experience.

SomeGuyChi":36kod6dh said:
amiller":36kod6dh said:

I cannot stand using a 421 stand-alone on a guitar cab, but combined with another mic like a 57, it's fantastic. I usually use 3 mics on a cab: a 57 (or an Audix i5), a 421, and a 414. Those are summed "to tape," usually with a bit of pre-eq cleaning up the low end. I like to commit to a sound and start prepping it for mix from the get-go. First instincts are usually the best, in my experience.

Hmmm...I'm not familiar with the 414? :confused:

SomeGuyChi":2e5jp4gj said:
Audioholic":2e5jp4gj said:

Have you tried comparing them with the capsules lined up on the same spot on the speaker? I'll do that at the studio tomorrow and post my results.
Yes. More or less. Blend the tracks.

I like SM7b a lot, I had Audix i5, SM57 etc ...It flatter freq response, I use it w/o basscut and presence boost

I like to try Audix i5 / SM57 with SM7b

/sam

I own all three mics as well as a Sennheiser E945.

I've used the SM7B on guitars before and I like it plenty. However, for me, I just prefer a combination of the MD421 and the SM57. I think I just have the sweet spot worked out, so it's what I go for. The SM7B I use primarily for vocals and it just seems to have the headroom for everything I can throw at it. The Sennheiser E945 is also about 30x better than the SM58 for almost any vocal application.

Short version, the SM7B won't let you down, I just prefer the SM57/MD421 for guitars.

One word though. The SM7B and SM57 both benefit heavily from quality pres. I've no idea why this is such a sullied thing to say, but just going straight into my Motu, they sound fairly lifeless and a little hard to record. I run the SM57 through one channel of my Focusrite Twintrak and the results are phenomenal, the other channel takes care of the MD421. I love what I get out of that setup.

The same with the SM7B, though I use an Art Voice Channel for that one simply as there's more headroom vocal control and the Art seems to have a little more power to pump towards the SM7B than the Focusrite.

I would discount the notion that whatever the SM7B can do, so can the SM57. I never knew they were the same capsule, but that seems a moot point to me, the mics behave very differently in terms of sound and placement.

If you have the budget, go for it, but if you go SM7B you'll need a decent mic pre. Just my $0.02

satannica":2zkvwfgt said:

If you have the budget, go for it, but if you go SM7B you'll need a decent mic pre. Just my $0.02

I've got a Millennia HV-3B...'it does a great job. :D

Back