Snagged another Simul Satellite... Not letting this one go...

JimAnsell

s-l1600.jpg

I can't help but doing something extremely selfish right before xmas almost every year, and make some big gear purchase under the pretense of "i'm gunna sell something to pay it off". Good shit always comes up right before xmas.

perfect match for my old mark IVa combo. i was a local pickup only in Cali auction, but i convinced the guy to ship it to me in Michigan, by telling him i'd send him my empty anvil flight case (for my mark IV...identical cabs), and he'll send it back with the amp inside. Even with shipping both ways like that, it was worth it. I could care less about the case, as its alreay beat up, and i never even use it when i play out. with all the boogie mark stuff sky rocketing lately, i figured i'd better hold one of these down now before they get expensive and i can't obtain one anymore. They're hard enough to find as it is. i wonder what the production numbers were on these? i've owned this at least twice in the past, but as a guy who searches for boogie stuff several times a day on the auction sites, i'll tell you they come up like once every few years. they're a killer product that should be re-released by boogie for the modeling lovers to use as their tube power. Its pretty much perfect for that. Can't wait to get it, but i think i should wait until after xmas to have the guy ship it me.

Last edited:
i emailed him offering him an extra 200 if he'd ship. he told me the only way he'd ship it is if he had an anvil style road case or something. I'm like weeeeeeeellll actually i do! so he said ok. its costing me about 250 bucks extra after shipping the case to him (which i'm doing tomorrow) and having him ship it back, but i wanted it goddamn it :) I did all the math with shipping companies, with and with out the ev weight (those ev's have been known to cave in combo baffles on those older combos in shipping because they're so fucking big), and it was expensive no matter what. shipping prices are nuts now. UPS almost 400 for just the road case from Mi to Ca :oops:
o_O

yeah its insane right now, if it wasnt the last thing i needed i probably would have tried to get him to ship it too but i figure ill wait again for the rack one which is what i really need.

i emailed him offering him an extra 200 if he'd ship. he told me the only way he'd ship it is if he had an anvil style road case or something. I'm like weeeeeeeellll actually i do! so he said ok. its costing me about 250 bucks extra after shipping the case to him (which i'm doing tomorrow) and having him ship it back, but i wanted it goddamn it :) I did all the math with shipping companies, with and with out the ev weight (those ev's have been known to cave in combo baffles on those older combos in shipping because they're so fucking big), and it was expensive no matter what. shipping prices are nuts now. UPS almost 400 for just the road case from Mi to Ca :oops:
o_O
It cost me $650 to ship and insure my 1984 Norlin from CA to MD 3 day UPS. We were shocked it cost that much, but it was a big expensive box that weighed a mere 28lbs. We split the shipping costs but damn I shipped 4x12 cabinets wrapped in goodwill blankets and cardboard a decade ago for $120.

I bought one of the Mesa Boogie Simul Satellite combo amp exactly like yours from a local Craig's List seller in northern California. I should have kept it, but I was trying out & flipping amps. Enjoy your Satellite combo amp!

Guitar George

What are these exactly? , Power amp in a combo? For stereo / WDW rigs or? What was the initial purpose for these when they were released?
initially they were for turning your mark IV into a stereo rig. as far as i understand it is the mark IVa (i'm assuming a because it came out with it) power section with a very minimal preamp (just the tone knob, and presence knob). it is essentially a power amp in a combo, yes.

initially they were for turning your mark IV into a stereo rig. as far as i understand it is the mark IVa (i'm assuming a because it came out with it) power section with a very minimal preamp (just the tone knob, and presence knob). it is essentially a power amp in a combo, yes.
Very cool

nothing sounded better live, than the IVa and the satellite in stereo through a c90 loaded metal grill (wired for stereo). myself in 2009... i thought it would be a good idea to rack both heads like that. yeah a giant 160lbs box will be fun to move if its got wheels, right....RIGHT!!?? wrong, son!
IMG_1072.jpg
:ROFLMAO:

These are rare for sure.I got lucky enough to nab an even rarer mint simul satellite head loaded.( there were options for these when ordering them). My mkiv b actually has jacks on the back marked specifically for the add on of the satellite.

these are really cool. anyone ever own or play a mesa SOB (son of boogie)?
my college room mate owned one. for me it was the pinto of the boogie family and perfectly named🤣
I’ve seen them but never heard them . Deceptive looking though lol

I had seen this listing, nice grab. Couple years ago there was a local Craigslist with a matching rackmount Mark IV and Satellite set. Didn’t have a need, but still thought it’s was the bees knees.

There is a Mark III satellite also.
are you sure? is it any different internally or is it just the tolex, corners, logo, handle, etc difference of newer vs older cabinets? the III and IV were made at the same time for a period there until the late 90s. i've never seen any different satellites as far as the knobs and switches go, and the SN is always st-xxxx never higher than 3 digits as far as i can remember, thats why i'm curious about production numbers. i should call boogie and ask... this guy did have it listed as a mark III satellite, and said he used it with his mark III. i just figured it was because its got the mark III / very early mark IV aesthetics.

Back