So...I ordered another JVM...

mrhiwatt":1xt5ic1t said:
I test drove both the 410h and the 205h.
The 2 channel has the following channels of the JVM 410
clean crunch channel
green from jvm 410
orange crunch
red crunch

od channel is based on od2 of JVM

I love od1 orange so I went with the 410H. I have only had it a week but I may be selling my other rig in signature as the JVM covers the tones I like. I got it on craig's list in virtually new condition for $1,300

MrHiwatt

Thanks for the writeup. I am really surprised the 2 channel JVMS don't have a true clean channel. Looks like I should stick with the DSL50 if I go that way. I already don't have a true clean channel with my Silver jubilee, I don't need another amp that is similar....

I just looked in the JVM 2 channel owners manual from Marshall's website but it doesn't say whether the 2nd channel is based off of the JVM 410's OD2 channel or not. :confused:

EDIT:

I guess the OD channel is based on JVM 410's OD2, from the JVM forum:

clean green is new, JVM2s have post gain clean tone controls unlike the JVM4s. Clean orange and red share similar gain structure to JVM4's crunch orange and red. OD channels are based on JVM4's OD2.

Santiago

blackba":1nbyypb8 said:
mrhiwatt":1nbyypb8 said:
I test drove both the 410h and the 205h.
The 2 channel has the following channels of the JVM 410
clean crunch channel
green from jvm 410
orange crunch
red crunch

od channel is based on od2 of JVM

I love od1 orange so I went with the 410H. I have only had it a week but I may be selling my other rig in signature as the JVM covers the tones I like. I got it on craig's list in virtually new condition for $1,300

MrHiwatt

Thanks for the writeup. I am really surprised the 2 channel JVMS don't have a true clean channel. Looks like I should stick with the DSL50 if I go that way. I already don't have a true clean channel with my Silver jubilee, I don't need another amp that is similar....

From the manual:

CLEAN/CRUNCH CHANNEL (8)
CLEAN/CRUNCH GREEN MODE: This is the
cleanest of the three modes and, in keeping with
traditional clean amps, it uses a simple and
straightforward circuit keeping the signal as pure
as possible. In this Mode the channel’s Volume
control is taken out of circuit as is the case in
vintage amplifiers of this nature. This is the only
JVM mode where this happens.

The 2 CH JVM walks all over the DSL50 I had. I haven't played the original 410JVM, but I don't understand where all the above info is coming from. Here is the low down.

CH1 Green - decent clean, but starts to break up early with volume
CH1 Orange - Plexi type crunch with less low end than "Red" (very Highway to Hell like)
CH1 Red - supposedly a JCM800, but more like Orange with just more low end and a bit more gain

CH2 Green - Sounds like a boosted 800 to me, with a ton of low end when you crank the gain
CH2 Orange - The definitive metal sound IMO. Lots of gain, but most of it is useable, plenty of mids, can be a bit rough/harsh if you go too high on the treble
CH2 Red - Take "Orange" and scoop the mids and add a ton of low end.......then compress the hell out of it (this is the only channel I don't use, but it almost sounds like a fuzz when using my single coil strat........which is cool). Honestly, it reminds me of a looser version of the Powerball I had briefly.

I have found the trick to getting authentic vintage plexi and 800 tones is to keep the Resonance very low (9 o'clock or so) and use the Bass for your low end. But then kick the resonance up (and bass down) when going for metal tones on CH2 Orange and Red.

I am sincere when I say this amp is superior in tone and versatility to all the amps I have had (Engls, Splawns, Mesas, Peaveys, Orange, and on and on). Then again, I don't play modern death metal or anything.

And for anyone considering the JVM, I would advise that you play both versions. Many people have told me there are differences in the voicings. Supposedly, the original JVM was tweaked and the 2 channel versions are not direct copies of any of the 410's channels/modes.

Yo any of you guys have crazy noise issues with your jvm?

Mine feeds back on od1/2 orange and red, even with a decimator in front of it. I dont really need to go with the gain above 4/10 either. It's really annoying. I get a slight feedback while playing and good second of it before the noisegate catches it. Any advice to kill the noise?

Just spent some time with the 205H yesterday and still didn't like it as much as my 410H. The clean on the 410 is far superior. And, like others have said, the absense of OD1 Orange is tragic.

If you want a simple amp and somehow get intimidated when faced with a bunch of knobs staring back at you, go for the 2-series JVM. But if you like/need versatility out the wazoo and the best tones possible, go for the bad boy 410. :rock:

Plexihacker":298azmz8 said:
Just spent some time with the 205H yesterday and still didn't like it as much as my 410H. The clean on the 410 is far superior. And, like others have said, the absense of OD1 Orange is tragic.

If you want a simple amp and somehow get intimidated when faced with a bunch of knobs staring back at you, go for the 2-series JVM. But if you like/need versatility out the wazoo and the best tones possible, go for the bad boy 410. :rock:

I like simple.... No, I LOVE simple..... shit, come to think of it, I can barely change a guitar string. However, I'm always surprised when someone says an amp is too complicated. The JVM is 4 channels of the same controls. Learn one, know em all. Not a steep learning curve. Kinda like a mixing board...not exactly rocket science :no:

:D

Thats exactly the issue I'm going through^ except I'm keeping my gain around 9-10 oclock with my les paul (because it theres no wax potting on the pickups) and around 11-12 with my prs. The Les Paul is my favorite guitar though and I have the most noise issues with that. I have a noisegate in front and it helps a little, same goes if I put in the loop, helps a little but not enough. I think I'm going to buy a 2nd and try running one in front and one in the loop at the same time.

SgtThump":2zlxhe8i said:
Digital Jams":2zlxhe8i said:
Maybe I just got a Wednesday build because I have zero noise issues, mine is quieter than my MK IV :confused:

The super high gain and pickups squeeling issue was really only an issue at gigs and stuff. Not so much at home. I just found it very touchy at loud stage volumes. It would squeel if I stood in certain spots, got the preamp gain too high, didn't have my pickups adjusted right, etc... It was very usable, just touchier than amps that have less distortion.

With my TSL I had issues where my pickups would jump around and cause feedback issues. I ended up wedging some foam in there to help squelch it.

Digital Jams":2kak0u0d said:
IMO OD2 does not have that marshall mids thing happening, kind of scooped sounding and more compressed. I love OD1 Orange and almost live there, can clean up very well with the fiddle volume and can go to hot rodded marshall. Colder pups really make it sound great as well.

I have a love / hate thing with od2, some days it is fun to screw around on but others it can be a buzz bomb. IMO OD2 can do a close Engl Powerball type thing.

Ugh..gas for the 210H officially dissipated I would need the 4 channel version for the OD1 upper mids :LOL: :LOL:

Shiny_Surface":30k5calv said:
Digital Jams":30k5calv said:
IMO OD2 does not have that marshall mids thing happening, kind of scooped sounding and more compressed. I love OD1 Orange and almost live there, can clean up very well with the fiddle volume and can go to hot rodded marshall. Colder pups really make it sound great as well.

I have a love / hate thing with od2, some days it is fun to screw around on but others it can be a buzz bomb. IMO OD2 can do a close Engl Powerball type thing.

Ugh..gas for the 210H officially dissipated I would need the 4 channel version for the OD1 upper mids :LOL: :LOL:

OD2 Green is pretty cool but there is a mid cut happening, it does not have that marshall bark imo like OD1.

kannibul":2337ntyl said:
SgtThump":2337ntyl said:
Digital Jams":2337ntyl said:
Maybe I just got a Wednesday build because I have zero noise issues, mine is quieter than my MK IV :confused:

The super high gain and pickups squeeling issue was really only an issue at gigs and stuff. Not so much at home. I just found it very touchy at loud stage volumes. It would squeel if I stood in certain spots, got the preamp gain too high, didn't have my pickups adjusted right, etc... It was very usable, just touchier than amps that have less distortion.

With my TSL I had issues where my pickups would jump around and cause feedback issues. I ended up wedging some foam in there to help squelch it.

Here is my trick for this type of situ (I dont own a JVM). Find out what preamp tubes are for what channels. Go get yourself some 5751's to replace the 12ax7's for the channels that are giving you problems. 5751's are a little less gain than 12ax7's but very musical sounding I have found. You will now be able to turn up your gain levels so it does not be a thin sounding tone, and alot of your squealing will be gone. I have used this on several modded marshalls that were just too razory with excellent results, and still run my Splawn modded 1987 this way.

For the poster with the LP and non-wax potted pups - sorry Bro. Nothing will help that except a pup swap. My 2 cents.

irondeth21":2vsgmaxp said:
Yo any of you guys have crazy noise issues with your jvm?

Mine feeds back on od1/2 orange and red, even with a decimator in front of it. I dont really need to go with the gain above 4/10 either. It's really annoying. I get a slight feedback while playing and good second of it before the noisegate catches it. Any advice to kill the noise?

The two JVM's I had squeeled like stuck pigs at very very moderate gain settings and noisy as hell. Tube swapps did nothing to help the problem. Im assuming I got a couple of duds. YMMV. But there is no way Id get another due to that and that that amp had a wierd feel to me.

Well I got a rocktron hush pedal and put it in the loop with the threshold max. I also have the ISP in front with the threshold at about 1030. Absolutely no noise. My notes ring out really well. I just progam my low gain stuff to not have the effects loop on so it knocks the rocktron out of the signal. I can put the gain up to about 3 oclock like this but am just rocking with it on 12:00 od1 orange.

kannibul":ytuv6yy3 said:
And while someone on here is selling their JVM410H for $1400 + shipping (and won't budge, even though I couldn't sell mine for more than $1100), I decided to just get a new one for $1749 shipped...

that would be me.
sorry bud, holding at $1400 :rock:

Back