So, who are the Strat guru's around here?

napalmdeath

I've not owned a Strat in probably 15 years. I've had a few, all MIM that just didn't hit the mark. Cheaper hardware, pickups, etc. I did own a Powerhouse Strat that I bought new, back when they were in production with the active mid boost, (maybe 1999/2000-ish), that I liked, but my brother liked it more and I found an NOS Hamer Studio Flametop back then for about $700 I had to have..

I love the Strat tone, and I've really been into Hank Shermann of late, and Gary Moore with his '61. Yngwie, John Norum... So, I've been looking, but I'd like some opinions on bang for buck. I'd go HSS, and would prefer a hardtail. Good electronics, tuning stability, hardware, etc. I really don't want to go down the MIM and hundreds in upgrades, but, who knows. I just want a solid guitar, (and prefer one with the micro-tilt). So far, the American Pro II used seems to fit the bill, (though they have a trem).

MAYBE there's an MIM that gets it done, or I've seen a few MIJ's that get my attention as well.. I'm in the $750-$1200 area..

I've had some really great mim but that was a long time ago. Why not build one? I've had numerous fenders over the years but have kept my warmoth builds. If youre set on a fender I tend to enjoy the fsr guitars and special runs like parallel universe the most.

IMG_1320.jpeg

Hear my words. Fender Professional II Strat. I have had numerous Stratocasters since about 1993 and played ones my friends have owned even earlier. I would go thru a stage and then dump them eventually. My Professional II is one of my favorite guitars and I have a Chubtone, Les Pauls, a Peavey Wolfgang, etc.

The guitar kicks ass but one of my favorite things is that the stock bridge humbucker finally kicks ass and doesn't have that weird, quacky, tone that made me always want to swap the pickup out. I haven't touched it and won't.

Mine is in Miami Blue and has a Rosewood fretboard. I love it and is a blast.

I've not owned a Strat in probably 15 years. I've had a few, all MIM that just didn't hit the mark. Cheaper hardware, pickups, etc. I did own a Powerhouse Strat that I bought new, back when they were in production with the active mid boost, (maybe 1999/2000-ish), that I liked, but my brother liked it more and I found an NOS Hamer Studio Flametop back then for about $700 I had to have..

I love the Strat tone, and I've really been into Hank Shermann of late, and Gary Moore with his '61. Yngwie, John Norum... So, I've been looking, but I'd like some opinions on bang for buck. I'd go HSS, and would prefer a hardtail. Good electronics, tuning stability, hardware, etc. I really don't want to go down the MIM and hundreds in upgrades, but, who knows. I just want a solid guitar, (and prefer one with the micro-tilt). So far, the American Pro II used seems to fit the bill, (though they have a trem).

MAYBE there's an MIM that gets it done, or I've seen a few MIJ's that get my attention as well.. I'm in the $750-$1200 area..
With Strats you really have to go out and play a bunch and find one that has the slinky feel and tone that speaks to you, so much variance even between the same model....you have to try a bunch and find one that you bond with......even if you find a SSS that checks those boxes, they're routed for humbuckers so it's easy to upgrade it(and fun!) You can always deck a trem if need be if you're willing to do that..

I feel you, Yngwie, Norum, Moore(metal era)...I'm there! I like the American series from 2000-2007(it has the micro-tilt).....easy to tweak to your liking! Good luck!

Had a blast tweaking, Air Zone(no tone pot), Area 61, Injector neck(500k push pull tone on M/N)....500k pots, blower switch, bridge series/parallel on the push pull)...got that fuckin' volume pot moved back that hugs the bridge pickup(only thing that drives me nuts about stock strats)

IMG_8329.JPG
IMG_8324.JPG

Last edited:
I’d definitely look at a used highway 1. Great platform, really good stock, but also worth upgrading pickups if you feel the need for it. I’ve got an American Pro II that I like, I’ve seen them sell in the $1k range used.

I think the best bang for the buck is a used Nash, but you’re looking at $1500-1600 there & you’ll either love or hate their finishes.

If you find a good deal on an American g&l, don’t overlook those.

Just grab a mid-levelYamaha Pacifica and call it a day. Fender Strats wish they were that good.

Another option is a Billy Corgan strat. Not sure how you feel about the bigger 1 11/16 nut size on them but otherwise they meet your specs. Hardtail, USA, ash body, routed for full sized hums, nitro finish. I have the white one which I really like. There was a black one in the classifieds a couple weeks ago.

Hear my words. Fender Professional II Strat. I have had numerous Stratocasters since about 1993 and played ones my friends have owned even earlier. I would go thru a stage and then dump them eventually. My Professional II is one of my favorite guitars and I have a Chubtone, Les Pauls, a Peavey Wolfgang, etc.

The guitar kicks ass but one of my favorite things is that the stock bridge humbucker finally kicks ass and doesn't have that weird, quacky, tone that made me always want to swap the pickup out. I haven't touched it and won't.

Mine is in Miami Blue and has a Rosewood fretboard. I love it and is a blast.
AND it has the modified heel. This is a big deal for me, makes it soooo much more comfortable to play upper frets!

I can’t reason buying an off the shelf Strat when a partscaster with the preferred specs can be put together for the same price or cheaper.
This is my take as well. Spec the exact parts you want, slap them together and have fun jamming
While I agree for me and some people…I always say don’t build a guitar to HAVE the guitar. Just go buy a guitar to HAVE a guitar.

Only build a guitar if you really desire to BUILD a guitar. So many people have built a guitar to the exact specs they thought they wanted only to not like/love it.

That said, partscasters can be killer deals but I’d only buy one if I can play it.

Personally, I think the best bang for your buck is 90's Strats. They sound great, have nice cuts of alder and rosewood, and are available in a variety of configurations:
  • American Standard Strat (SSS)
  • Roadhouse Strat (SSS w/ Texas Specials)
  • Lone Star Strat (HSS w/ SD PGP)
  • Big Apple Strat (HH w/ SD PGP + 59N)
There are later iterations from the early 2000's that are also great. Very, very similar guitars but they updated a few of the specs (e.g., staggered tuners) and changed the name.
  • American Fat Strat (HSS w/ SD PGP)
  • American Double Fat Strat (HH w/ SD PGP + 59N)
There are also hardtail versions of these (they're rare but they're out there).

They can all be had generally for under $1000. They play and sound great. I own three of them: 1 Big Apple, 1 Double Fat, and 1 American Standard. Awesome Strats.

If you want something more modern, I love the American Ultra Strats. They have a slightly thinner D shaped neck instead of the modern C but they do have the neck heel cutaway. No hardtail. But they sound great. You can hear mine here, upgrade with a DiMarzio Injector set through the Headfirst Alta.

There is a Great Strat on Chris Guitars that is a USA Lone star strat from 1997 for $1000.00

Personally, I think the best bang for your buck is 90's Strats. They sound great, have nice cuts of alder and rosewood, and are available in a variety of configurations:
  • American Standard Strat (SSS)
  • Roadhouse Strat (SSS w/ Texas Specials)
  • Lone Star Strat (HSS w/ SD PGP)
  • Big Apple Strat (HH w/ SD PGP + 59N)
There are later iterations from the early 2000's that are also great. Very, very similar guitars but they updated a few of the specs (e.g., staggered tuners) and changed the name.
  • American Fat Strat (HSS w/ SD PGP)
  • American Double Fat Strat (HH w/ SD PGP + 59N)
There are also hardtail versions of these (they're rare but they're out there).

They can all be had generally for under $1000. They play and sound great. I own three of them: 1 Big Apple, 1 Double Fat, and 1 American Standard. Awesome Strats.

If you want something more modern, I love the American Ultra Strats. They have a slightly thinner D shaped neck instead of the modern C but they do have the neck heel cutaway. No hardtail. But they sound great. You can hear mine here, upgrade with a DiMarzio Injector set through the Headfirst Alta.

Great info! I did look at some Lone Stars the past couple days. Did forget the Fat Strats were out there as well.

Back