Soldano SLO100

Soldano Slo is a dream amp for me. Would love to find one used.
Glad I held onto mine all these years......no way I could replace it for what I paid for ($1,400 off eBay back in 2005).

Back in the day.........I never imagined Mike Soldano partnering with someone else to make them though. The new ones do sound really good to me. After playing thru the 30 and 100, I personally wouldn't gain anything of value by getting a new one. But the Boutique Amp Distribution made Soldanos are very well made. I got to take both the MKII 30W and 100W chassis out of their shells and look them over. Some people are having a hard time with the new prices since the amps now are not made the same way as the old ones. Plus, some folks are also hung up on the fact that the original De Young transformers and choke in the originals are no longer made or even available. None of that would keep me from buying a new one though if I wanted one.

One other improvement the new ones have that should make those happy that are aware of it is, the re-routing of the effects loop closer to the end of the preamp signal chain. I've always used rack level effects in my SLO 100 loop and never had a complaint like the others that try to use anything else.......so there's that too.

I might consider a used MKII someday if the price is right because they do sound REALLY GOOD to my ears.

EwAiGU0.jpg

Glad I held onto mine all these years......no way I could replace it for what I paid for ($1,400 off eBay back in 2005).

Back in the day.........I never imagined Mike Soldano partnering with someone else to make them though. The new ones do sound really good to me. After playing thru the 30 and 100, I personally wouldn't gain anything of value by getting a new one. But the Boutique Amp Distribution made Soldanos are very well made. I got to take both the MKII 30W and 100W chassis out of their shells and look them over. Some people are having a hard time with the new prices since the amps now are not made the same way as the old ones. Plus, some folks are also hung up on the fact that the original De Young transformers and choke in the originals are no longer made or even available. None of that would keep me from buying a new one though if I wanted one.

One other improvement the new ones have that should make those happy that are aware of it is, the re-routing of the effects loop closer to the end of the preamp signal chain. I've always used rack level effects in my SLO 100 loop and never had a complaint like the others that try to use anything else.......so there's that too.

I might consider a used MKII someday if the price is right because they do sound REALLY GOOD to my ears.

EwAiGU0.jpg
Thank you for sharing this! Maybe I should hunt for a used mkii instead.

Thank you for sharing this! Maybe I should hunt for a used mkii instead.
I was really impressed with the new ones......if all the supply chain crap and the artificially inflated (can you say gouge with greed?) used gear prices hadn't happened, one could probably find them used by now for decent price. Forget that for a while though, although you just never know.

Prices will come down when people start shutting their wallets.

Until then, I'm plenty happy with what I got.

Actually, I could stand to move a few things but will not being an admitted gear hoarder.

Just got this, and a MKV 90W Combo on the way.

bPkyZsh.jpg

EwAiGU0.jpg

Very nice collection !

I was really impressed with the new ones......if all the supply chain crap and the artificially inflated (can you say gouge with greed?) used gear prices hadn't happened, one could probably find them used by now for decent price. Forget that for a while though, although you just never know.

Prices will come down when people start shutting their wallets.

Until then, I'm plenty happy with what I got.

Actually, I could stand to move a few things but will not being an admitted gear hoarder.

Just got this, and a MKV 90W Combo on the way.

bPkyZsh.jpg
I would love to hear how these two compare.

I would love to hear how these two compare.
In a few words.....they don't. Two way different amps. And I always say "to my ears". Nobody hears the same thing. People often forget that, and it starts so many arguments.

Thru the years I've heard some sounds out of this world coming from setups that make no sense to me. That's why anymore, I will not criticize or challenge what others claim to hear. We all hear differently, play differently. Something that sound's golden to me, will suck to at least another person somewhere. It's just the way it is. I would have to be that person to know exactly what they hear.

Of course it will take me some time to experiment with the JP2C. Been a big Mesa Mark fan for many years. My favorite from the old days is my ancient 1992 MKIV A. One thing I've always liked about any Mark I've ever owned is their presence and how well they cut thru a mix and set in it (for my uses). Like plenty of other users, it took me a while to get the hang of the EQ stack.

So far I'm not that impressed with it. But I've experienced that with other amps I've had. Sometimes it takes some time to dial in somethng useful to ones ears, and people's preferences can change over time as well. I know mine have.

For me this is a golden age for amps. It's really off the charts in my eyes compared to what was available when I was a teeanger over 50yrs ago.

I can't imagine what it would have been like having some of this stuff back then.

So many making really outstanding stuff today at all price points.

Update: I managed to buy back what is (I believe) my old Decatone from 1997! So now I have the SLO, the Decatone and an HR25.
Update: I also managed to buy a very similar HR50 to my original HR50 from 1996 (this one I bought last year is a '95), and, after I got the SLO Mk2 I sold my original SLO and my HR25 (new SLO has a master volume that made the HR25 somewhat redundant). So now I have a SLOmk2, Decatone, and HR50.

Very nice collection !
There's more....but I digress. I have a second SLO 100 that I personally modded by re-routing the effects loop between the last preamp stage and phase inverter. I have it in my rehearsal space at the moment. Just for shits and giggles I tried my buddies 10 garbage pedal monstrosity thru the loop. And....yeah I can now understand all the pubescent kvetching about the the original loop placement.

Still love both my SLO's. Tried a bunch of the other stuff Mike made back in the day. The only other one I might get in the future if the "right" deal comes along is the old (pre B.A.D.) Lucky 13. Got to play thru one last month, and really dug the clean sounds from that one. Not sure if there are any plans to remake it though.

https://www.soldano.com/products/classic/
Loved Mikes craftsmanship on the old amps. But judging anecdotes, I can't see how there could have been much of a profit margin for him on those. To my eyes and ears they were a labor of love, but although I don't know for sure, I really don't think Mike Soldano was totally economically motivated. He just really loved what he was doing. To me, it sure shows in those old Soldano's. Wished I'd held onto the Reverb-O-Sonic 50 Combo I had years ago. Brings back old memories from 1993 when I ordered it thru Atlanta Discount music back in the day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The JP2C in the picture was not happening for me, so back it went.

BUT......picked up a new Anderson T-Icon and Mesa MKV 35 Combo. Still waiting on the 90W Combo I ordered from Sweetwater last November.

Q15vMTe.jpg
wVWBHbX.jpg

The slo is one of my favorite amps. I've got two and I love them. They have ridiculously smooth and detailed midrange characteristics

What is the consensus about “original” SLO 100 and the B.A.D. production?
The components are not the same military grade on the MK2 SLO. The pots are not Clarostat, the trannies are not DeYoung, and the wiring is made not the same way as the originals.
I understand the effekt loop change, but Mike Soldano during Seattle production dont wanted to change fx loop on the SLO because of sound. He told, the original fx loop is part of the SLO sound.
Now the new design is OK for Him. Its possible the new owners pushed Mike to the changing the communication, because the “improoved” loop is easier for everyday users.
According the soundsamples for me the old SLO is more organic and 3D sounding, but the new slo is gainier at lower volumes.

Wow this has never been discussed before :geek:
Old school guys who may or may not have actually heard the new ones will say the old transformers are better but everyone agrees the loop was noisy
Seems like 85% of everyone else agrees the new ones are better due to the new loop and the level on the return of the loop is key to being able to push the amp beyond just 'sizzle gain' found in the pre amp gain to blend some power amp section -something you would not be able to do for very long without blowing out windows on the old one (y)

I had an old one. Sold it after I got my new one. Both sound great. Like the features of the new one. I’ve had SLOs from 90s 00s and the last two years of Mikes. All those sounded different. My 15 and 17 sounded really close. The BAD ones sounds like a good SLO should.

I had an old one. Sold it after I got my new one. Both sound great. Like the features of the new one. I’ve had SLOs from 90s 00s and the last two years of Mikes. All those sounded different. My 15 and 17 sounded really close. The BAD ones sounds like a good SLO should.
+1
I like the BAD I have now better than the 2 pre BAD I had.

OP here. I purchased a mk2 SLO in early 2021 and sold my "OG" SLO shortly thereafter. Tone was VERY similar, nearly indistinguishable (not using my imagination or an inaccurate comparison...using my KHE AB switch) except the mk2 had a better master volume, better loop, and better noise floor. Also, the channel switch on the front is a handy feature.

same. i've had 2 old ones, and a new BAD one. my only complaint is the lack of that beautiful powder coated face plate. the new plastic one is dull.

I just picked up a new one yesterday! I never had the pleasure of trying an original so I can't truly compare but it sounds amazing and how I hoped it would before I got it.

Back