Splawn 2020 Mini Competition Video

Junk Yard Dog

Pretty good video in-room demo of the mini Comp and how New/Old and Mid-cut sounds. The demo is EQ and Gain mostly at noon, Gear 1, and I think he said OD1 and OD2, but I didn't see him switching between the two.

I'm pretty sure that's fusionbear.

That little Splawn sounds mighty good. I'm guessing he's either running two EL34's at a lower B+ voltage or is it 6V6's?

Does sound good. It's 50w EL34s b/c it's the Competition and not the SuperSport. It's also B+ because all Competitions come B+ automatically due to the design.

I need to do a quick demo of the Quick Rod I picked up a month or so ago. Have tried all of the switches and settings and pretty much keep it on B+, full mids, and Old. Gear 2 is where I live and then bounce in and out of OD1 and OD2. The loop master is really great at keeping the volume from getting out of control too.

Tried the treble on zero trick a couple times but just didn't like where the tone went through a greenback loaded 1960B. Have not tried it with V30's yet.

I need to do a quick demo of the Quick Rod I picked up a month or so ago. Have tried all of the switches and settings and pretty much keep it on B+, full mids, and Old. Gear 2 is where I live and then bounce in and out of OD1 and OD2. The loop master is really great at keeping the volume from getting out of control too.

Tried the treble on zero trick a couple times but just didn't like where the tone went through a greenback loaded 1960B. Have not tried it with V30's yet.

Yeah, definitely share what you can. Do you find you have a good "give/sag/bounce" on the fingers with it despite it being pretty tight/dry without a lot of compression?

He did a good job demoing the amp as he usually does. I didn't hear much on the new/old switch but the mid cut for sure and obviously the loop volume. I wonder what the other amp was that was covered up? Was it hiding in fear? Was it embarrassed?

Last edited:
He did a good job demoing the amp as he usually does. I didn't hear much on the new/old switch but the mid cut for sure and obviously the loop volume. I wonder what the other amp was that covered up? Was it hiding in fear? Was it embarrassed?
Ya fusionBears videos helped push into to order one of these in the first place LOL!

going to "old" doesn't change the tone really, it adds balls, a chewyness, a hint more saturation, when you're plugged in you'll go "ahhh I get it" on a youtube video it's going to be tough to translate audibly. My Super Sport is loaded with every option and more (I kept both speaker outs and still have the solo boost) :) and it's definitely won me over. If I had 3rd gear I would in essence have a mini Quick Rod, but I've been pretty much living on gear one so I guess I'll get over it.
Coming from a JVM it's really exposed some places where I've gotten away with being a little more sloppy than I can now that's for sure.
I'll try and get up a video sometime this week and see if I can get the nuances to come across on line.

Last edited:
I dont see any mini competition heads in Splawns site.
Sure this isnt the super sport?
you can order the Competition in a mini head, just like you an order the Super Sport in a "Mid sized" head if you don't want the mini head shell.
this is definitely a Competition
this is my new Super Sport (for comparison) I've got no gear knob as I only have 1 and 2.
LX1rsL9.jpg

you can order the Competition in a mini head, just like you an order the Super Sport in a "Mid sized" head if you don't want the mini head shell.
this is definitely a Competition
this is my new Super Sport (for comparison) I've got no gear knob as I only have 1 and 2.
LX1rsL9.jpg

Yup, can do Comp in a mini. Can't do the Pro Stock in a mini, though. Maybe can do the PS in a mid-size? Need to ask Scott.

Oh ok, I didnt know that. Thanks!
if you call Scott and tell him what you specifically want if he can do it he will.
On mine I wanted the solo boost option added so I have a 4 button switch instead of the 3. Usually when he does that mod he takes one of the speaker outs, I wanted to keep both of mine as I like to use 2 2x12 cabs whenever possible.
He did it (thats not on the site at all as an option but he will do it ) frankly I don't know why the supersport doesn't have the solo boost by default
but whatever, here's the back of mine . Mine may be the only one out there that is configured like this :)
S8AjKe2.jpg

If your into high gain, check the mini Nitro SS 50 watt. I have one and it sounds like a Quick Rod on steroids. Lots more gain! I have a video somewhere on Youtube.

I have to inquire on the mini comp. I've wanted either a QR or Comp since 07. I just never got around to it. So the monis are 25w ??

I have to inquire on the mini comp. I've wanted either a QR or Comp since 07. I just never got around to it. So the monis are 25w ??

No, this is a 50w Competition, same OD/Gain channel as the Quickrod, no clean channel, just in a mini headshell. ...It includes mid-cut and new/old. All 50w Splawns are automatically in B+ mode.

In case anyone over here did not see this on the gear page , I had a conversation with Scott about his offerings
"

As for the difference in amp models. I basically only have two amp circuits, the Quickrod and the Nitro. Everything else is a scaled version of those.
The Prostock is 100 watt single channel OD section of the QR
The Competition is 50 watt single channel OD section of the QR
The Super Sport came later which is the most popular features of the QR in the smallest size. It has no solo boost or 3rd gear and the EQ is shared between the two channels. The controls are laid out like a SLO but the circuit is still a Splawn and not a Soldano.
The Streetrod is the QR in a combo.
The QR and Prostock 100 watt are only available in the Full size box
The QR 50 can come in the mid size and the full size
The SS and the Comp can come in all three box size"

Curious what other kind of mods Scott can do; can you share?
I knew that would get me in trouble :LOL:

What I meant was you could, for example, order a 50w QR in a large headbox with the 'new/old' option but not the 'mid cut' option and get it with KT88s and tolex colors no one else has. Just saying - you are not completely limited to what is on website.

But he used to offer Marshall mods and quit doing that to focus on his brand but if I had to guess, he does more custom stuff for people.

Back