Strange issue with my 5150 III

The earlier 5150 3 were plagued with switching problems and other misc issues. My buddy went thru 3 and he only used them at basement levels. The later heads seem to have the issues solved. What's your serial #

I already took it to the shop for service but I'm pretty sure the serial# is 02241. I haven't had any problems with switching. I actually use my G-System and a RJM Mini Amp Gizmo to switch channels. I've been gigging with it at least twice a month if not more for the past year and practice 2 to 3 times a week for 3hrs. Haven't had any problems with it till now. Oh well, I've been relatively gear problem free for the 19 years I've been a gigging guitarist. Guess I should just be thankful. At least my original 93' 5150 is still working so it can save my ass for this weekend and next weekends shows. I've just gotten spoiled with the 5150 III tone over the original. Especially the 2nd channel and definitely the clean channel. No one in the crowd will ever notice a difference in my tone anyway except maybe other musicians. But you guys know how it affects your attitude and performance/energy when your tone is kind of bugging you. :doh:

232cap":ohtsblld said:
The earlier 5150 3 were plagued with switching problems and other misc issues. My buddy went thru 3 and he only used them at basement levels. The later heads seem to have the issues solved. What's your serial #

Yeah I recall that crap. I was actually in a band and twice during practice it just stopped making noise, totally died...royally sucked! The last one never had any issues but I never trusted it.

Well, I got my amp back today. Pretty quick service. It was something to do with the power section. There was a blown internal fuse. My guy said it looked like "It took some kind of hit electrically" Not sure how that could of happened but I'm just glad it was a simple fix and all is well in my rig kingdom one again. :rock:

Blew the same fuse again over the weekend. It's the one on the board located near the power section by were the power cord plugs in. My amp guy contacted Fender and they said it might be a bad tube in either the power section or preamp section going bad to cause the fuse to keep going out. Suggested replacing all the tubes. That's a little on the pricey side. I'm saving up to buy a brand new one and don't really want to spend the $200-300 on tubes for this one when I'm not for sure that's what the problem is. Could a bad power tube or preamp tube cause this internal fuse to keep going bad? :confused:

I know 2 other people that have had the same problems. One guy sold his and there other guy was a dealer and sent it back to Fender. :no:

To bad they have reliability issues. I played threw one and it sound pretty damn good.

Aren't they made in Mexico???

Turns out it was a bad preamp tube in slot V4 of channel 3 that was causing the fuse to blow. Put a new tube in and it's working great. I've used the amp a lot for gigs and practice over the last year and a half so I went ahead and ordered a whole new set of tubes for it. :doh: Had a great rehearsal last nigh and the amp worked perefectly. All is right in my gear world for right now. Fingers crossed. ;)

Last night I was putting the preamp tube covers back on (after purchasing all new preamp tubes also) then thought I would crank up the amp and try it out with everything back together. NO SOUND OUT OF ANY CHANNEL!! Needless to say, I was PISSED! So I took the grill off again and proceeded to check the tubes to find the problem. I knew that if a tube was the cause it had to be either V1 or V8 (since these are the only tubes that incorporate all 3 channels). Sure enough V8 had a crack in the glass at the bottom of the tube. WTF!? The only thing I could think happened was I pushed too hard when putting the cover back on the tube (since it was working great before the covers). I put in another Sovtek LPS I had and it worked fine. I thought I was placing the covers on very gently, but apparently not gentle enough. I wonder if the tube already had a small crack in it when I first put it in. Man, that was a close one. :doh:

I would imagine you are pretty careful putting them in so I bet it already had a crack in it. Don't blame you for being a little irked. My tubes are supposed to be delivered on Thursday so I'll put them in then and will rehearse with the new ones that night and see how it sounds. How does your amp sound with the new tubes? Any difference? The same?

victim5150":3rksgjc5 said:
I would imagine you are pretty careful putting them in so I bet it already had a crack in it. Don't blame you for being a little irked. My tubes are supposed to be delivered on Thursday so I'll put them in then and will rehearse with the new ones that night and see how it sounds. How does your amp sound with the new tubes? Any difference? The same?
I think my channel 1 and channel 2 are louder now. I'm wondering if V2 and/or V3 were starting to go months ago. Channel 2 is more punchy and full. When I first had tube problems a few weeks ago, I lost the first two channels during a gig, so the tube was probably on its way out before then making the amp less punchy. Since it was probably going out gradually, the sound could have been changing w/out me noticing it. Channel 3 seems to be about the same since putting in new tubes. I always thought power tubes go up before preamp tubes in most amps. Maybe with this amp the pre's have more juice going to them. Well, whatever it is, it's working because I couldn't be happier with the sound. If getting this sound means I have to replace tubes a little more frequently then it's worth it. :rock:

I hear ya. I don't mind switching tubes out I just wish I could have a heads up when they're going bad or something. I don't like having my amp go out in the middle of a set like you mentioned. Luckily this amp hasn't gone down during a set but it has at soundcheck. Thank god for small favors. I guess I'm just spoiled with my original 5150. I gigged with it since 1993 and never had a single problem with it. Never changed the tubes cause they were bad just decided to cause I figured it was time. Glad your amp is sounding good. I was pretty happy to just have mine working again at rehearsal last night but it did sound great. I hear everybody say that the newer ones sound fizzy but I don't have that problem with mine. It's extremely warm and smooth. I actually kick in a TC Electronics Nova Drive on the front end of mine do give it more of a metal edge for some of our more metal tunes. I hope the new tubes I'm getting are not going to make it anymore smoother and darker. Just out of curiosity would you share your settings?

victim5150":115eu3uc said:
I hear ya. I don't mind switching tubes out I just wish I could have a heads up when they're going bad or something. I don't like having my amp go out in the middle of a set like you mentioned. Luckily this amp hasn't gone down during a set but it has at soundcheck. Thank god for small favors. I guess I'm just spoiled with my original 5150. I gigged with it since 1993 and never had a single problem with it. Never changed the tubes cause they were bad just decided to cause I figured it was time. Glad your amp is sounding good. I was pretty happy to just have mine working again at rehearsal last night but it did sound great. I hear everybody say that the newer ones sound fizzy but I don't have that problem with mine. It's extremely warm and smooth. I actually kick in a TC Electronics Nova Drive on the front end of mine do give it more of a metal edge for some of our more metal tunes. I hope the new tubes I'm getting are not going to make it anymore smoother and darker. Just out of curiosity would you share your settings?
Here are pics of my current settings, give or take 2 clock hours depending on the room, cabinet, and volume:

EVHChan1.jpg

EVHChan2.jpg

EVHChan3.jpg

DSC03565.jpg

Stagegear.jpg

My main rhythm sound is channel 2 boosted w/ the Maxon OD-9 in front of the amp. I only use channel 3 for leads. I use the EQ in the loop to fatten up channel 1 w/out adding gain (and to fatten up my channel 3 lead sound). The compressor is before the amp and used on my Channel 3 lead sound. I use the G-major 2 in the loop for reverb, delay, chorus and tremolo. The BBE Sonic Stomp is always on in the fx loop.

I am thinking about goin for the EVH cab very soon. I have only heard great things about this combination. However, I love how my Mesa cab sounds with it. How heavy is the EVH cab? I'm sure lighter than my Mesa standard.

I don't think your new tubes are going to make the amp sound darker. Look at how low I keep my highs, and that's with the Mesa cab. I think my EVH has always sounded VERY bright so you shouldn't have any issues.

Nice rig man. Thanks for sharing your settings. I was just curious. My settings are almost identical except for the highs on chan 2 and 3. I've got mine about noon. (Told ya my amp was dark.) We have pretty similiar setups. I use a TC Electronic G-System for all my effects, EQ, filter effects, compressor and gate. I also use a BBE Sonic Stomp in my FX loop as well. I'm using a Nova Drive in one of the external loops of my G-System to hit the front of the amp. It has presets so I can have a different OD setting for each channel. Before I got my G-System I was using a G-Major and a GCX and ground control pro. How do you handle your channel switching? With the Liquid Foot Controller?
MyAmps.jpg

Pedalboardwithstickers.jpg

Awesome rig :rock: . I just acquired a 5150 combo. Haven't spent too much time with it yet though. I think I am going to try similar tubes as my III along with the EVH G12's in the combo.

I change channels on the EVH with the Liquid-foot which sends midi signals to an RJM mini amp gizmo, which then sends to the EVH. I see that you also use the gizmo. That thing works great, no lag at all.

Yeah, the Mini Amp Gizmo is a life saver. No more tap dancing. I think you'll dig the 5150 combo. It sounds just like my original 5150 just not quite the bottom end of the 4x12 cab. I bring it a lot of times to run stereo with my 5150III instead of the 5150 halfstack. I would like to change out the speakers in mine also. Just never got around to doing it. I need to change all the tubes out as well. I've had it since 98' and have never changed them. Probably about time. LOL! I really only use it as a practice amp at home or as a slave for stereo live sometimes. Damn thing still sounds good though. Peavey built the 5150 line like tanks man.

Back