Suhr Reactive Load compared to other loads

easstudios

I did this video a while ago and feel like there isn’t much else like this online. I compared about 10 cabs (just as a load using a DI to take a direct signal), and also a Suhr Reactive Load, and St Rock React IR.

The IR and amp settings are constant throughout.

You can hear how different loads affect the sound of the amplifier - the Suhr is very close to my 1960TV with 1992 G12m25 75hz greenbacks, which seems to be on the more “hyped” end of the spectrum. I actually find this to be a nicer feeling load to play, especially when using IR’s and studio monitors. I also think it’s not ideal for V30 IR’s, which create a stiffer load. I really like the Suhr for Marshall’s where you want a bit more gain and aggression, and a slightly more smiley face/hifi sound.

I also recently did another comparison with a 5150, where I was trying to go for a Mesa Oversized V30 sound - in this case I felt like the St Rock React IR gave a closer approximation of that tone (although both sounded good). You can hear how the midrange is a bit stiffer/tighter, and the top end sits in a different place.

I think blanket statements about one load being better/more accurate/more natural/transparent etc don’t really make much sense - cabs can vary so much with their loads that the ideal is either a load that can be adjusted, or having a choice of loads to get the desired response.

Back