Supersport coming in off of "Standby" is suddenly making noise

kmanick

static crackling noise , time for new tubes?
once on it sounds fine , but I do have old Mullards and RFT's in there, maybe the years have caught up :(

not sure about coming off standby as my Quickrod is quiet there.. but powering off the caps or something give a nice squeal as if they are draining or something.. is typical i think.. rather than just changing tubes have a tech look it over first.. could be something else.. tubes are still very pricey these days.. put a new quad and pre's in my Twin recently.. had to take out a loan..

How long does it make the noise Nick ? I think I remember there was a thread about a year ago with a few Splawns coming out of standby and making a abnormal type white noise for a few seconds then all good . I think it might’ve had to do with either the effects loop of being turned on or off or maybe something with the caps I can’t really remember to be honest . Two of my Splawns do it and I just figure it’s normal now

How long does it make the noise Nick ? I think I remember there was a thread about a year ago with a few Splawns coming out of standby and making a abnormal type white noise for a few seconds then all good . I think it might’ve had to do with either the effects loop of being turned on or off or maybe something with the caps I can’t really remember to be honest . Two of my Splawns do it and I just figure it’s normal now
it's quick , maybe 2-3 seconds at most then all is fine, I have tons of tubes but no more NOS Mullards or RFTs(which really sound great in this head) , so I think I'll have to open her up and make sure everything is seated properly (maybe some contact cleaner and reseat them if they are all glowing as they should), mine is usually dead quiet , this just stated happening the last couple of day.

I seem to remember when I started having that noise that you’re talking about coming out of standby. I started taking the amp out of standby with the loop turned off and I remember it wouldn’t make that noise, I would wait a few then turn the loop on and all was good but nowadays I just leave the loop on , that noise goes away really quick . Still weird that it does it though

So I emailed Scott and gave him the "symptoms" his response-
"Okay I have had this before and it was the fx loop volume pot, was a little loose and not making a good connection to the chassis which is the ground."
So I took the chicken knob off, hit the pot with a little contact cleaner and really tightened it up.
the Noise is gone Success!!!

"Okay I have had this before and it was the fx loop volume pot, was a little loose and not making a good connection to the chassis which is the ground."
So I took the chicken knob off, hit the pot with a little contact cleaner and really tightened it up.
AWESOME!

I’m gonna give this a shot today . Thanks Nick

it's quick , maybe 2-3 seconds at most then all is fine, I have tons of tubes but no more NOS Mullards or RFTs(which really sound great in this head) , so I think I'll have to open her up and make sure everything is seated properly (maybe some contact cleaner and reseat them if they are all glowing as they should), mine is usually dead quiet , this just stated happening the last couple of day.
NOS tubes really can make a shocking difference. I really, really enjoy British flavored amps with Mullards. They are just so killer! In my Fender Blackface style amp, I have ran so many different combinations of input and output tubes. After literally months-years of rolling, RCA Black Plates in the front with RCA smoked grey outputs are nutso in here. British tubes for British styled amps and American made for American amps. Glad you got that sorted!

NOS tubes really can make a shocking difference. I really, really enjoy British flavored amps with Mullards. They are just so killer! In my Fender Blackface style amp, I have ran so many different combinations of input and output tubes. After literally months-years of rolling, RCA Black Plates in the front with RCA smoked grey outputs are nutso in here. British tubes for British styled amps and American made for American amps. Glad you got that sorted!
I just picked up an Amperex Holland a brand new NOS RFT and a Blackburn Mullard, so I have a back up set :), they've made a huge difference in my Splawn.

I just picked up an Amperex Holland a brand new NOS RFT and a Blackburn Mullard, so I have a back up set :), they've made a huge difference in my Splawn.
Nice! The Amperex will retain more high end than a normal Mullard. They have a slightly different midrange texture but is very similar and still enjoyable. Those Mullards help keep the bass tight as well.. Blackburns are super sweet, my favorit make. That factory had it going on. They can smooth ALL of that crummy high end off of any amp or pedal or pickup for that matter. Extremely vocal mids.... Yeah man, great choices there. If you can find a good guy, you can get them reasonably priced but they can be crazy.

I have the issue with a pop sound thru my speaker cab when coming off standby. Doesn’t happen when loop is off. Checked loop pot tightened to chassis, and tried contact clearer. Also happens with just a jumper in loop. No noise when going to standby or shutting amp off. Any other suggestions??

the static sound on mine returned last night :(
going to re seat all of the tubes and hit the pins with contact cleaner see if it helps any.
got a gig tomorrow night too :(

Back