Talk to me about home recording and making full band songs

peckhart

I've never done much recording in any capacity. What I would really like to start doing is bringing songs I hear in my head to life. I play guitar and do have a bass, but thats it. I would love to be able to lay some guitar riffs and progressions down and use software to add in drums and keys. Does that exist?
Taking a step back...what do I need to be able to record my guitar parts? Looking for some input on what I need and recommendations of whatever pieces are required.

The best/cheapest way to start, IF you own a Mac is to use Garageband or Logic. The stock drummer in that DAW is decent enough for songwriting purposes. I use him all the time to lay down ideas, and come back later to program things with Superior Drummer. I find that going straight to SD for me interrupts the creative flow too much, and it's more important to track the riffs with the rudimentary but super simple Garageband drummer. It also has some stock virtual instruments if you happen to have a MIDI keyboard, which are super cheap if you don't. It's easier than ever these days to record. There's free plugins for guitar that are fantastic, and some cheap ones that are even better. Same for bass. You will need an interface, but there's a bunch of cheap and excellent interfaces on the market. I use a simple Audient ID22. Two preamps, a good instrument input, no frills or digital mess to deal with, rock solid drivers with my aging MacBook.

I've been recording since the 90s, starting with the old Tascam tape recorders. I'm no pro but have learned so much over the years. I'm a cheap ass and this is how I do mine:

- Reaper $50 for life
- EZDrummer2 $150?
- Rode Mic (forget but cheap)

I plug in thru a little Scarlett interface (cheapest one). Here is a really, super basic way to record:

1. Put in drum beat
2. Record guitar part 1, pan 90% to the left
3. Record guitar part 2, pan 90% to the right
4. Lay down bass
5. EQ the parts and cut out noise, etc.( Reaper has stuff built in)

Here is a link to my songs on Bandcamp. Some of these I recorded completely in a few hours. Obviously I tweaked here and there but super easy. You can record one riff, then copy and paste it into other verses to save time: https://mikepuskas.bandcamp.com/

BTW, I just do this for fun. I have a day job. "A Rain is Coming" and "Beyond the Sky" I have recorded in the past few weeks

Ok, so some of this is coming together for me. Googles and YouTube has shown me the way ;)
I am seeing stuff for adding the drums, like the EZDrummer mentioned here, and came across some that generate guitar or bass chords/notes just by clicking around with the mouse. Does anyone know one that will generate keyboard sounds? I would live to click or tell it the chords/notes and have it kick out some Hammond sounds for example.

I haven't checked it out personally, but EZ Keys does that, I think.

It should pair up well with EZ Drummer 'cause it's from the same company.

peckhart":hnqci6bs said:
Ok, so some of this is coming together for me. Googles and YouTube has shown me the way ;)
I am seeing stuff for adding the drums, like the EZDrummer mentioned here, and came across some that generate guitar or bass chords/notes just by clicking around with the mouse. Does anyone know one that will generate keyboard sounds? I would live to click or tell it the chords/notes and have it kick out some Hammond sounds for example.

You can edit the Midi map directly in your DAW to play the notes you want. Just google search on how to do that with your DAW of choice. Basic flow would be:
1 - Add a virtual instrument track (Hammond for example). This will have the sample library of the instrument you want to play
2 - edit the midi map to add the chords/notes you want

I've bought a ton of gear and tried to do this many times with dreams and aspirations but have failed. So with this in mind , I recommend the following;

1. Get a decent interface, Audient makes great stuff and won't break the bank.
2. Use a DAW that is quick and easy for you. You aren't recording Elton John, you are recording you.
3. Drum and keys software like the EZ keys stuff will make your life easy.
4. I am a perfectionist and I drum.. but i am not a great drummer so I wasted countless hours editing myself. Don't do that.
5. Don't try to be perfect, just lay the tracks. (much like point 4)
6. Get a sound and be able to dial it in any time. So when I set up, at the end of the day, I had to move it all back to the side of the room etc. You are better off with a small combo setup in a corner with a decent mic on it that doesn't get moved so you have consistent sound and feel across your material. If ever you cut a small record for fun, you will want it to sound like it was recorded on the same day. Drastic tonal differences on a distorted guitar will make it seem like you just didn't know what you wanted or were doing.
7. Don't by a ton of outboard gear. In the box is totally fine
8. Start with a drum track and use it as the metronome if it is a plugin because trying to program drums around your tempo fluctuation is impossible. That sort of feel is why live musicians track together. I had tried to guitar to a metronome and then figured my drums would lay over no problem but it was very very hard. I should have drummed to the metronome first... but if you are the only musician, you run into the chicken before the egg... who is driving who? Rather than drums and guitars driving and working off each other.
9. if you edit and mix, have a decent treated area so your mixes translate. I ordered IK multimedia speakers recently because I no longer have a treated room and these help with that. Or use reference mixes.
10. Just start. Don't find excuses like gear or other ( like I did) as to why now isn't the perfect time. Hit play and just go for it.

That should get you started!

Listen to what Kapo said above. Keep it simple, especially when starting out. Just record ANYTHING to get the ball rolling.

With EZDrummer, there are drum parts that are like "riffs" on a guitar. You'll get a few seconds of a solid beat, a fill, or an intro, etc. So you just listen to one, and "drag" it into your interface. Then you can drag that out as far as you want and it will play over and over. Then when you are ready for a fill, "drag" it in place. You don't have to sit and hit a key and create these beats unless you want to. They are already ready to go.

Lots of good advice here. Definitely keep it simple and see if recording is your thing cause it can be quite a massive rabbit hole :thumbsup:

errrrrl":33oqmakb said:
Lots of good advice here. Definitely keep it simple and see if recording is your thing cause it can be quite a massive rabbit hole :thumbsup:

THIS! I have to force myself to not over-listen, over tweak, etc. I have learned a lot over time but I realize if I want something perfect, I should just have someone do it in a professional studio. We can get great recordings at home without breaking the bank.

romanianreaper":1hqqc6c1 said:
I've been recording since the 90s, starting with the old Tascam tape recorders. I'm no pro but have learned so much over the years. I'm a cheap ass and this is how I do mine:

- Reaper $50 for life
- EZDrummer2 $150?
- Rode Mic (forget but cheap)

I plug in thru a little Scarlett interface (cheapest one). Here is a really, super basic way to record:

1. Put in drum beat
2. Record guitar part 1, pan 90% to the left
3. Record guitar part 2, pan 90% to the right
4. Lay down bass
5. EQ the parts and cut out noise, etc.( Reaper has stuff built in)

Here is a link to my songs on Bandcamp. Some of these I recorded completely in a few hours. Obviously I tweaked here and there but super easy. You can record one riff, then copy and paste it into other verses to save time: https://mikepuskas.bandcamp.com/

BTW, I just do this for fun. I have a day job. "A Rain is Coming" and "Beyond the Sky" I have recorded in the past few weeks

Hey the tunes sound great man. I dig the style.

Spaceboy":36vff9zd said:
The best/cheapest way to start, IF you own a Mac is to use Garageband or Logic. The stock drummer in that DAW is decent enough for songwriting purposes. I use him all the time to lay down ideas, and come back later to program things with Superior Drummer. I find that going straight to SD for me interrupts the creative flow too much, and it's more important to track the riffs with the rudimentary but super simple Garageband drummer. It also has some stock virtual instruments if you happen to have a MIDI keyboard, which are super cheap if you don't. It's easier than ever these days to record. There's free plugins for guitar that are fantastic, and some cheap ones that are even better. Same for bass. You will need an interface, but there's a bunch of cheap and excellent interfaces on the market. I use a simple Audient ID22. Two preamps, a good instrument input, no frills or digital mess to deal with, rock solid drivers with my aging MacBook.
All great advice here. I need to try this with Drummer in Logic as well for faster writing for my gear demos. I started with GaragBand and it was really un-intimidating for a newb. The transition to Logic was seamless when I decided to get more serious.

JerEvil":2bh3olp8 said:
Spaceboy":2bh3olp8 said:
All great advice here. I need to try this with Drummer in Logic as well for faster writing for my gear demos. I started with GaragBand and it was really un-intimidating for a newb. The transition to Logic was seamless when I decided to get more serious.

I want to pick up some Steven Slate drums. I downloaded a demo but didn't get enough time to play around with it. Seems like it sounds more realistic than the EZDrummer2 samples but not sure.

romanianreaper":acnqo9pg said:
JerEvil":acnqo9pg said:
Spaceboy":acnqo9pg said:

I want to pick up some Steven Slate drums. I downloaded a demo but didn't get enough time to play around with it. Seems like it sounds more realistic than the EZDrummer2 samples but not sure.

Steven Slate Drums are really good, I used them for years. I liked them because they are pretty much a finished, polished sound. I switched to Superior Drummer about 6 months ago. But Steven Slate is great

Yup, they've always had analogue processing baked-in, but SSD 5 introduced some "clean" kits for those who prefer to tweak to their individual tastes.

romanianreaper":1audgpb0 said:
SSD5 (and all the previous versions) is great, man.

Be sure to grab it on-special (probably under $100) and all 4 expansion packs too if you can. The packs can be had for $30->$50 depending on where you look. Don't ask me where; I bought 'em on special when I had SSD4 and they all still work apparently.

One thing folks usually don't realise:
Slate always takes the kits form previous versions and includes them in new releases, so you never lose anything.

Back