Talk to me about home recording and making full band songs

Monkey Man":odho0lm3 said:
Yup, they've always had analogue processing baked-in, but SSD 5 introduced some "clean" kits for those who prefer to tweak to their individual tastes.

romanianreaper":odho0lm3 said:
I want to pick up some Steven Slate drums. I downloaded a demo but didn't get enough time to play around with it. Seems like it sounds more realistic than the EZDrummer2 samples but not sure.
SSD5 (and all the previous versions) is great, man.

Be sure to grab it on-special (probably under $100) and all 4 expansion packs too if you can. The packs can be had for $30->$50 depending on where you look. Don't ask me where; I bought 'em on special when I had SSD4 and they all still work apparently.

One thing folks usually don't realise:
Slate always takes the kits form previous versions and includes them in new releases, so you never lose anything.

Oh man, that is awesome! Yeah, I'm about due for an update. I've recorded so many songs over the years with the EZDrummer2 samples that sounds kind of similar. Need to mix it up.

You won't be disappointed, man.

Obviously you can swap out any element of a kit for another (like snare), but you can also layer them and blend to-taste. You might want the bottom-end thump from one snare, the ring from another and snap from yet another, for example. All easily-doable.

Monkey Man":1srqu4s5 said:

Obviously you can swap out any element of a kit for another (like snare), but you can also layer them and blend to-taste. You might want the bottom-end thump from one snare, the ring from another and snap from yet another, for example. All easily-doable.

That is badass!! I'd love to get it working with my Roland Kit. I can't get EZDrummer2 to work right with it. I get latency, noise, etc. Would be awesome if the Slate kits can work easily with it.

romanianreaper":2s896zig said:
Monkey Man":2s896zig said:

That is badass!! I'd love to get it working with my Roland Kit. I can't get EZDrummer2 to work right with it. I get latency, noise, etc. Would be awesome if the Slate kits can work easily with it.

I have a TD17 that I was able to get to play nice with my trial version of EZDrummer. I'm using a Mac. There are a few settings you have to change up, particularly with the hats to get the sound to not glitch out.

dirtyfunkg":2gwpfz0y said:
romanianreaper":2gwpfz0y said:
Monkey Man":2gwpfz0y said:

I have a TD17 that I was able to get to play nice with my trial version of EZDrummer. I'm using a Mac. There are a few settings you have to change up, particularly with the hats to get the sound to not glitch out.

Interesting. Yeah, I have the TD-25KV. I did follow some of the advice they offered but wasn't able to ever be completely satisfied. Might have to give it another whirl.

SSD5 has preset configurations for all the popular e-drum kits IIRC.

If there isn't one for your specific model, pick the one closest to it. I'm guessing the mapping in the TD-20, TD-30 and TD-40 brains are the same anyway, for example, and not far off the TD-9, 10, 12 and so on.

Back