TC G-System

racerevlon":rrelmo8m said:
I considered the G-System for the longest time, but as the number of effects I was using became less and less, I couldn't justify the expense. Now I have what I call a "Home-made Bradshaw" rack with mostly Power, EQ, and switching in the rack. I really SHOULD get a drawer for the pedals because right now they're just sitting in the bottom of the rack. I'm swapping out the OD-20 that I was really only using for the BD-2 model for a new ST-2 power stack. Great-sounding pedal.

This is the new setup. All of my MIDI-capable heads are set up with patches in the same order so I don't have to re-program if/when I switch heads. I have separate snakes for the non-MIDI-switching heads, so all I have to do is connect the appropriate (pre-labeled) snake to the switching system and I can control any head-combo. I have it set up so 1-5 are patch recall switches and 6-15 are instant access switches that do everything from switching the dynamic range on the Vintage Modern (momentary switching, totally stupid) to changing the channel/OD/gear/solo on a Splawn Quick Rod, to fully-MIDI-controlling a Mesa Mark V. A quite versatile setup. However, with the acquisition of my Diezel Herbert, I envision a LOT of my gear going away.

Stay tuned...

Rig2010_6.jpg

Shit, I wish I could organized as you.... :thumbsup:

I love the self-abuse of changing my mind and completely reassembling my rack. I think I have a "zip-tie" fetish. :shocked:

Steve

Echodrive":2plsmm1e said:
I just purchased a MESA Triaxis, Rocktron Velocity 300 power amp, and a Ltd Edition G System. I'm hoping that I'll love this rig.

If you're playing hard rock, progressive rock, or metal, don't expect to find true love here... the power amp will be the problem. While this amp might be nice to pair with a modeling preamp like the axe-fx, pod x3 pro, or boss gt pro, if you want classic Mark-series Boogie tone, you need a Mesa/Boogie power amp, preferably the 2:Ninety Simul-Class (for most tone variety) or the 2:Fifty for the next best sounding option.

Yes, these are 4x the price of the Rocktron, and 4x the weight, but the difference in tone and presence is significant, like upgrading from a Dodge to a Porsche.

The Triaxis is fantastic, as is the G-System. But this vintage Boogie tone is delivered by 6L6 power tubes, and for the most authentic Mark-series tone, you need a Boogie Simul-class amp.

If you're playing pop, jazz, alt rock, etc... that power amp may be just fine. But don't expect to hear the tone that Petrucci got out of his Triaxis rig years ago, or the sound that James Hettfield still gets from his...

http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/gui ... xis290.php

Scott

steve_k":2h66mldv said:
I farted around and never bought one. Bought a TC2290 instead.

Steve
You dont make it easy to sell mine now :doh:

I have gas for something I already own, Damn! :LOL: :LOL:

scottkahn":3hs1lbvs said:
Echodrive":3hs1lbvs said:
I just purchased a MESA Triaxis, Rocktron Velocity 300 power amp, and a Ltd Edition G System. I'm hoping that I'll love this rig.

If you're playing hard rock, progressive rock, or metal, don't expect to find true love here... the power amp will be the problem. While this amp might be nice to pair with a modeling preamp like the axe-fx, pod x3 pro, or boss gt pro, if you want classic Mark-series Boogie tone, you need a Mesa/Boogie power amp, preferably the 2:Ninety Simul-Class (for most tone variety) or the 2:Fifty for the next best sounding option.

Yes, these are 4x the price of the Rocktron, and 4x the weight, but the difference in tone and presence is significant, like upgrading from a Dodge to a Porsche.

The Triaxis is fantastic, as is the G-System. But this vintage Boogie tone is delivered by 6L6 power tubes, and for the most authentic Mark-series tone, you need a Boogie Simul-class amp.

If you're playing pop, jazz, alt rock, etc... that power amp may be just fine. But don't expect to hear the tone that Petrucci got out of his Triaxis rig years ago, or the sound that James Hettfield still gets from his...

http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/gui ... xis290.php

Scott
Understood.

I've spent the better part of the day comparing the TriAxis into the Bower/Rocktron Velocity 300 vs the TriAxis into the Simu-Class power section of my Boogie Mark IIC+. I have to say that it's close! Damn close! I also tried the TriAxis into my QSC USA900... No joy there. :no:

I had the old 2U Velocity back in 92 that I use to run with a Soldano SP-77 preamp - Rocktron Pro-Q - Rocktron Intellifex. Some of my buds still comment on how great that rig sounded! I've owned many SS power-amps, and none of them sound as good as the Bower/Rocktron Velocity 300. Except maybe my old Peavy Classic 50/50? Those are sa-f#@%ing-weet!

That being said - I'm sure I'll be purchasing a Mesa 2:90 by the end of the week... :D

steve_k":1sj6h1yh said:
Who's using one? PGS has a hell of a deal on them. Thinking to pick up one...

Steve
You're talking about the Limited model - right? I took advantage of the PGS Limited Edition sale myself. Comes with a TC Nova Drive for only 1,399 seal skins! :thumbsup:

Echodrive":hpjoer2g said:
Understood.

I've spent the better part of the day comparing the TriAxis into the Bower/Rocktron Velocity 300 vs the TriAxis into the Simu-Class power section of my Boogie Mark IIC+. I have to say that it's close! Damn close! I also tried the TriAxis into my QSC USA900... No joy there. :no:
That being said - I'm sure I'll be purchasing a Mesa 2:90 by the end of the week... :D

Funny... now running through my mind is "hmmm... That Velocity might be a good power amp for running FX in a w/d/w rig" :p

Scott

scottkahn":1ztnx3nv said:
Echodrive":1ztnx3nv said:
Understood.

Funny... now running through my mind is "hmmm... That Velocity might be a good power amp for running FX in a w/d/w rig" :p

Scott
That's the one I'd use for sure. If I don't buy a 2:90 soon, I may end up sticking with the Velocity? Much lighter - no heat from 8 x tubes - less power consumption - sounds as good as any tube amp - doesn't look as cool... :scared: Na! 2:90 it is! :thumbsup:

The 2:Ninety has Deep and Modern voicing options that make a huge difference in the sound of your tone. The Triaxis without the 2:Ninety is almost like owning half of the amp.

Echodrive":38lil6pm said:
steve_k":38lil6pm said:

Steve
You're talking about the Limited model - right? I took advantage of the PGS Limited Edition sale myself. Comes with a TC Nova Drive for only 1,399 seal skins! :thumbsup:
The Nova Drive is killer with the G-System. With the Y-Split MIDI cable it becomes an internal effect of the G-System and you can control all it's parameters from the G-System. I really like the overdrive side of the Nova. I don't use the distortion side. And the ability to control the Nova's gain level with the G-System's expression pedal is pretty freakin cool.

victim5150":u61cml58 said:
Echodrive":u61cml58 said:
steve_k":u61cml58 said:

Steve
The Nova Drive is killer with the G-System. With the Y-Split MIDI cable it becomes an internal effect of the G-System and you can control all it's parameters from the G-System. I really like the overdrive side of the Nova. I don't use the distortion side. And the ability to control the Nova's gain level with the G-System's expression pedal is pretty freakin cool.

I didn't know about that... Thanks!

I purchased a Rockton Intellifex LTD to run with my Cornford MKII, so I'm beginning to freak-out a little bit. I don't know why - but I don't like accumulating too much "stuff"?

You'll dig the Nova and G compatibility. I hear ya on the gear. I've got a Rocktron Intellifex that I used for years before getting my G-System. Along with a G-Major I bought about a year before the G-System to replace the Intellifex and a Line6 POD XT Live. Never hurts to have back up gear. Bit of a learning curve with the G-System. Depending on the amp you'll be using with it. Some people have had to buy Ebtech hum eliminators to help with noise issues but I did not. I've setup my G with a 5150 and a 5150 III. The 5150 I had to use the Noise gate on the G a little to tame some hiss but that's normal for those amps. With the 5150 III I have no noise issues whatsoever. I did have to buy a RJM Mini Amp Gizmo so I could switch channels from my G. You will need some balanced cables though. The G has this psuedo balanced connection thing in it that you will need a few balanced cables. I made a Mogami snake for mine. I think you will dig it. The effects are pristine. Check out the G-System forum and download the "White Paper" set up Doc. It's in a sticky at the top of the threads. It will help tremendously. Or send me a message and I will send you a copy of it.

victim5150":qdd2cex5 said:
You'll dig the Nova and G compatibility. I hear ya on the gear. I've got a Rocktron Intellifex that I used for years before getting my G-System. Along with a G-Major I bought about a year before the G-System to replace the Intellifex and a Line6 POD XT Live. Never hurts to have back up gear. Bit of a learning curve with the G-System. Depending on the amp you'll be using with it. Some people have had to buy Ebtech hum eliminators to help with noise issues but I did not. I've setup my G with a 5150 and a 5150 III. The 5150 I had to use the Noise gate on the G a little to tame some hiss but that's normal for those amps. With the 5150 III I have no noise issues whatsoever. I did have to buy a RJM Mini Amp Gizmo so I could switch channels from my G. You will need some balanced cables though. The G has this psuedo balanced connection thing in it that you will need a few balanced cables. I made a Mogami snake for mine. I think you will dig it. The effects are pristine. Check out the G-System forum and download the "White Paper" set up Doc. It's in a sticky at the top of the threads. It will help tremendously. Or send me a message and I will send you a copy of it.
You rock!

So are you using the "4 cable method"? I want to use it with my Cornford and my Boogie MK IIC+ - but the MKII uses relay switching! No 1/4" inputs there. :aww: Can I use the G System as an ABY switcher? Wait! Why couldn't I just use a "switch-leg" from the G to switch-over to a Radial "Bones" ABY? I could then control the Cornford with the MKII foot-controller! That's a lot of switches... :confused: This is driving me crazy - and I don't even have it yet!

Then there's the MESA TriAxis... What to do? What to do?

Yeah, I use the 4 cable method. I had no issues that way with my amp. Some people have had issues with the G in 4 cable method. The new limited red unit and all the new silver units have the redesigned input to address the issue. I think it's just buffered now is the only difference. Not sure about the amp switching. With my 5150 it was easy I could use the relay jacks on the G with that amp. With the 5150III it has a 7 pin type jack and there was also an issue with momentary vs. latching which also necessitated the Mini Amp Gizmo. Go to the G forum and do a search for your amp and see if anyone has posted anything about your amp and the G. Wealth of knowledge over there for that unit. Very friendly folk.

victim5150":17o8hf3j said:
Yeah, I use the 4 cable method. I had no issues that way with my amp. Some people have had issues with the G in 4 cable method. The new limited red unit and all the new silver units have the redesigned input to address the issue. I think it's just buffered now is the only difference. Not sure about the amp switching. With my 5150 it was easy I could use the relay jacks on the G with that amp. With the 5150III it has a 7 pin type jack and there was also an issue with momentary vs. latching which also necessitated the Mini Amp Gizmo. Go to the G forum and do a search for your amp and see if anyone has posted anything about your amp and the G. Wealth of knowledge over there for that unit. Very friendly folk.

Will do... Thanks!

You have a 7 pin input on your 5150 III, so I don't see why I can't incorporate the MKII 50?

YES! There's now a Mini-Gizmo out that works with the Cornford MKII 50 H head. Makes it full MIDI switchable!

Happy day! It's a happy day! :)

Echodrive":3s6et66v said:
YES! There's now a Mini-Gizmo out that works with the Cornford MKII 50 H head. Makes it full MIDI switchable!

Sweet! I feel your joy bro. When I got mine for my rig it was the icing on the cake. I ordered my Mini Amp Gizmo off eBay but I ordered the special cable for the amp direct from RJM's website. Ron is a great guy. The first cable he sent me had a short in it and didn't work. I was so bummed but he sent me another one immediately and it worked great. The ability to switch your amp channel, turn on your boost, turn on or off the pedals in your loops and turn on or off all the effects you want with the press of one button is glorious. Plus the flexibility to switch channels, turn everything on or off and control effects in real time with an expression pedal within any given preset is killer. I had the same ability with my old setup which was a G-Major, GCX loop switcher and a Ground Control Pro but I prefer the look, feel and all in one ease of the G-System.

victim5150":mpm10aqh said:
Echodrive":mpm10aqh said:

Sweet! I feel your joy bro. When I got mine for my rig it was the icing on the cake. I ordered my Mini Amp Gizmo off eBay but I ordered the special cable for the amp direct from RJM's website. Ron is a great guy. The first cable he sent me had a short in it and didn't work. I was so bummed but he sent me another one immediately and it worked great. The ability to switch your amp channel, turn on your boost, turn on or off the pedals in your loops and turn on or off all the effects you want with the press of one button is glorious. Plus the flexibility to switch channels, turn everything on or off and control effects in real time with an expression pedal within any given preset is killer. I had the same ability with my old setup which was a G-Major, GCX loop switcher and a Ground Control Pro but I prefer the look, feel and all in one ease of the G-System.
I was looking at some pics of Brad Whitford's latest rig... He's now using a G System with no other effects around it. Must have them in a "spice-drawer"? :thumbsup:

Back