TCE Dark Matter pedal review

timeroo

I have been sorta collecting OD/Boost pedals that catch my eye lately so that I can give my tone more warm and more of a real feel when I am using software sims. Out in front of a tube preamp, real OD pedals have been a huge help vs VST OD sims.

I saw the TCE dark matter at my local shop the other day so I thought I would give it a rip and honestly, I feel like this pedal is really unique. It's a distortion pedal rather than an OD it acts a bit differently. The tone is hard to explain but it's really versatile. It worked as a nice clean boost, it worked in a sort of OD boost for a high gain sim and the most interesting tone I got with it was with a JCM 800 sim, I rolled the gain on the pedal up a bit, rolled the treble back a little bit and it was almost like a stoner rock meets Swedish death metal tone but with more color to it. All the pots on it and the mini switch are all very useful and not pointlessly subtle or non-existent like on some pedals. They all shape the tone a lot.

I would say for the price, this is a pedal that a lot of people should check out.

Back