Boss SD-1 vs Way Huge Conspiracy Theory (Klon) using two amps - Soldano SLO & Victory MKX - 3 Videos

  • Thread starter Thread starter HowieJams
  • Start date Start date
HowieJams

HowieJams

Well-known member
I started boosting my amps and I am loving it.
I tried to go minimalist with no pedals out front, so I bought all hgh gain amps, but I like lowering the amps gain and hitting it with a boost.

The first pedal I bought was the Boss SD-1 and it did really well, but many people told me to try a Klon or a Klone, so I bought a Way Huge Conspiracy Theory.
One big reason I bought these two pedals is they can run on 9V batteries with minimal draw (10ma SD-1 and 18.5ms for the Way Huge), this compares well to other Klon pedals that draw 70ma or need wall outlet power.

I prefer 9v as it is less clutter on the floor.

I tried the pedal first with my Soldano Astro 20, but everything sounds great with that amp, any guitar, any pedal, so I figured I would change things up.

I used my Soldano SLO-30 and Victory MKX for the shootout and I also use my 2024 Gibson Les Paul R9 instead of my Standard 50s.

I tried the pedals with two different settings (level max, drive minimum and with all settings at noon).

I think I prefer the noon settings.

I also think I prefer the Way Huge Conspiracy Theory, it seems to bring out more of the natural tone of the amp.

Give a listen and see what you think.

One of the videos is of the Soldano without a backing track and the other two videos are over a backing track.

The MKX videos I just left the pedal settings at noon for the whole video.

Here are the vids:





 
After lots of playing with both overdrive pedals as a boost, I have found settings I like for my playing.
I initially started with pedals settings of:

level max
gain minimum
tone at 11 o'clock on the SD-1 a db 11 o'clock to 1 clock on the Conspiracy Theory depending on the amp/guitar

I also tried all settings on the pedals at noon except with the tone settings from above.

After lots of playing I think my favorite pedal settings are:

level max
gain slightly above minumum, around 7 o'clock
and the tone settings above. (11 o'clock to 1 o'clock)

I will try to do some videos of these settings when I get a chance.
 
Nice! It's fun to have both. I have a Ryra Klon and a Warm Audio ODD into my JEL 50w.
I went through the SD-1 and SD-1W. Both were sold as I highly favored the ODD as it has minimum low end loss.

My favorite of the two is the Ryra. Those mids blend in very well with both channels on the JEL. If I want a smoother tone with more harmonics= Ryra. A more beefier and aggressive tone= ODD
 
We all have to find what we like personally, I always try to go for smooth, creamy, sustain type of tones which is why I think I will use the Conspiracy Theory more.
 
Judging by your clips the Klon is fatter and smoother which makes sense. The Boss has always added a mid boost which will give you a tighter tone more for tighter rock/metal, same goes for the Maxon OD808/Tubescreamer but there might be times you want what the Boss or Maxon brings.

I can see why you like the Klon circuit Howie, it compliments your style and playing!:2thumbsup::rock:

I knew you would like the Klon Howie!:yes:

BTW that Victory amp kicks all kinds of ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!:cool:
 
Last edited:
Judging by your clips the Klon is fatter and smoother which makes sense. The Boss has always added a mid boost which will give you a tighter tone more for tighter rock/metal, same goes for the Maxon OD808/Tubescreamer but there might be times you want what the Boss or Maxon brings.

I can see why you like the Klon circuit Howie, it compliments your style and playing!:2thumbsup::rock:

I knew you would like the Klon Howie!:yes:

BTW that Victory amp kicks all kinds of ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!:cool:
Funny thing is, the Victory doesn't sound as good to me by itself, but it is great in the mix.
It is much more picky about what guitar I use.
 
I am waiting on a ryra pedal but have been using a diff clone and really liking the tone. Bit more fullness than an SD 1 ot TS variant but still stands out and gives you more of your base tone without aggressive mid shaping. I feel like for me it is Klone something or koko boost V1 on mid setting that I keep coming back to over and over again. Almost pointless now to try other pedals..they do a great job but just not quite as good as these two.

Shout-out for eq pedals as boosts though, alao great. I like my GE 10 and GE 7.
 
Good stuff Howie.

I always find there isn't an "ultimate" OD or whatever.... They all have their flaws as much as their strengths so you kind of want to mix and match and cascade gain stages sometimes.

Me I like to hit the front of the chain hard so it's slammed and then I treat every pedal after like a cascading gain stage and set around unity volume and adjust accordingly.

In a sense the pedals after the first one that hits hard like at 3-4 o'clock and then treat everything after sort of like your master volume or individual amps. Usually on the Johnny Chimpo/Griff OD I have that Level at 4-5 o'clock for example and hit the front end hard and then treat the pedals after like master volumes and extra channels and set gain and tone accordingly.


They cascade into the next and that is my approach, hit the front end hard and then adjust close to unity gain with the pedals after so you can tame the gain.

1000001277.jpg


1000001278.jpg
 
Last edited:
Yeah I agree man. There is no ultimate boost. I have three Keeley Boosts that emulate the SD-1, Tube Screamer, and Blues Driver, as well as the "Boris" Frankenstein pedal that Wayne built for me (SD-1 clone) and I dig all of them.

Bassy amps benefit from all of those mentioned pedals. With my Orange Super Crush 100 solid state combo, they are good for tightening but takes low end away that I need.
 
I am waiting on a ryra pedal but have been using a diff clone and really liking the tone. Bit more fullness than an SD 1 ot TS variant but still stands out and gives you more of your base tone without aggressive mid shaping. I feel like for me it is Klone something or koko boost V1 on mid setting that I keep coming back to over and over again. Almost pointless now to try other pedals..they do a great job but just not quite as good as these two.

Shout-out for eq pedals as boosts though, alao great. I like my GE 10 and GE 7.
keep us posted
 
M
Good stuff Howie.

I always find there isn't an "ultimate" OD or whatever.... They all have their flaws as much as their strengths so you kind of want to mix and match and cascade gain stages sometimes.

Me I like to hit the front of the chain hard so it's slammed and then I treat every pedal after like a cascading gain stage and set around unity volume and adjust accordingly.

In a sense the pedals after the first one that hits hard like at 3-4 o'clock and then treat everything after sort of like your master volume or individual amps. Usually on the Johnny Chimpo/Griff OD I have that Level at 4-5 o'clock for example and hit the front end hard and then treat the pedals after like master volumes and extra channels and set gain and tone accordingly.


They cascade into the next and that is my approach, hit the front end hard and then adjust close to unity gain with the pedals after so you can tame the gain.

View attachment 457262

View attachment 457263
My last gig years ago I ran a ts808 in to a Fulltione OCD in to a Fender Pro Jr, used both overdrives together and it sounded great.
 
Yeah I agree man. There is no ultimate boost. I have three Keeley Boosts that emulate the SD-1, Tube Screamer, and Blues Driver, as well as the "Boris" Frankenstein pedal that Wayne built for me (SD-1 clone) and I dig all of them.

Bassy amps benefit from all of those mentioned pedals. With my Orange Super Crush 100 solid state combo, they are good for tightening but takes low end away that I need.
I agree...
Sometimes the SD-1 sounds better and sometimes the Conspiracy Theory is better, I don't need to pick one.
A lot depends on amp, guitar, which will determine which OD works better
 
Back
Top