That '70s Thread: Alice Cooper

Wore this out!

s-l500.jpg

Hello Hurray may just be the best opening album track EVER.

I love "Hello Hooray"! Great song!

My first into to Alice Cooper was "Clones" when I was a kid and then revisted the other stuff. My buddy is a Cooper fanatic so he groomed me on it.

The early Alice Cooper Band stuff is fantastic and obviously his solo stuff rocks. I like all of the periods!

The early Alice Cooper Band stuff is fantastic and obviously his solo stuff rocks.

That first band doesn't get the credit they deserved. Those dudes had some chops!

Funny, Steve Hunter & Dick Wagner just came up yesterday in the 'Train Kept a Rollin' post.

Those two guys are all over Welcome to My Nightmare. Explains the amazing guitar on that album.

Last edited:
Love me some Go to Hell but a real fav is the way Second Coming and Ballad of Dwight Fry go together. I have no idea who was the major creative forces behind those early records, whether it was just him or the band itself as a whole but the music would just be so varied and creative. I just couldn’t imagine in a million years I would just jam up some of those songs and arrangements. They just can go all over the place but work so well. As the saying goes, the drugs were just so much better back then.

It’s funny, my Wife digs rock and metal but can’t stand two of my glamor pusses from the 70’s. Alice Cooper and Meatloaf. When anything from Bat comes on in the car I sing along as loud as I can and she just tries to disappear into the seat.

Last edited:
My favorites are probably Killers and Welcome to My Nightmare…but they are all great. Saw them on The Blue Jean network when I was about 12. Very captivating.

My first concert was Alice Coopers's Wecome To My Nightmare tour, I was 9 .
After that bands like Kiss were Moot and irrelevant.

Too bad that Glenn Buxton passed away .
I think that they pulled the plug out of the original Alice Cooper band too soon . If they stayed together longer, Disco wouldn't have polluted the airwaves like it did in the 1970's.

I happened to run into Dennis Dunaway at a Amtrak station in Connecticut in the 1980's, great guy .

The great thing about seeing Alice Cooper is he's got a massive back catalog of killer tunes but only a half dozen hits that he "has to" play, so there's always great variety in his setlist not just within a single set but from tour to tour. Think of how many artists from the era play the same dozen songs night after night, while Alice has no problem pulling tunes from any era, even deep cuts from forgotten or neglected eras. And he's got a great ear for modernizing tunes and massaging out the more dated trappings of certain songs, cutting down bloated sections and making everything heavier.

I've seen Alice maybe ten times, and when I saw him last year it was the best show I'd seen him do. It was an 80s metal paradise.

The great thing about seeing Alice Cooper is he's got a massive back catalog of killer tunes but only a half dozen hits that he "has to" play, so there's always great variety in his setlist not just within a single set but from tour to tour. Think of how many artists from the era play the same dozen songs night after night, while Alice has no problem pulling tunes from any era, even deep cuts from forgotten or neglected eras. And he's got a great ear for modernizing tunes and massaging out the more dated trappings of certain songs, cutting down bloated sections and making everything heavier.

I've seen Alice maybe ten times, and when I saw him last year it was the best show I'd seen him do. It was an 80s metal paradise.
More like a musical dynasty that evolved, no matter his personal issues or trends .

"The Eyes of Alice Cooper" was a great album. I saw that tour and "Dirty Diamonds". A few years ago I took my daughter to see a show when Nita was with them and that show was killer. They opened with Brutal Planet.

Back