The Diezel Zone - Will the Kemper get there.....?

Kemper guys, please help out. The Kemper buzz is huge. Such a great tool already. All the other profiles are good to great. Undeniable.

Can it pull off the VH4, the Herbert?

Every amp I have or want has a good dozen profiles. Many have been posted here with killer chops on top. :rock:

Awesome.

So what is the verdict?

If you can go from a Fender blackface, to rectifier, to Jose Marshall, to MKIIC, to VH4.... What's left not to love? But does it cover the sacred Diezel tone?

I have never tried a VH4 in person, but the profile I got from Matt sounds just like the recordings of the VH4 I have heard.

Heritage Softail":27q9m550 said:
My guess would be yes and it will sound as good as the guy who profiled it can mic a cabinet. That is a guess, of course, but I don't really see anything special about a VH4 that would suggest it couldn't profile it adequately.

Rogue":3v3o36at said:
Heritage Softail":3v3o36at said:
My guess would be yes and it will sound as good as the guy who profiled it can mic a cabinet. That is a guess, of course, but I don't really see anything special about a VH4 that would suggest it couldn't profile it adequately.

I would think that too.

With all the Diezel love, it is strangely absent from the amp model clips. There aren't that many Diezel amps out here compared to Rectifiers and Marshalls too.

Build it and they will profile it!

A lot of the free diezel profiles are fantastic. My own personal profiles of my diezel Herbert that were Done for me before I sold it are completely indistinguishable from the real the thing, in feel and tone, so take that for what it's worth. Not one person has ever been able to tell the difference.

VESmedic":2ri7uc8p said:
A lot of the free diezel profiles are fantastic. My own personal profiles of my diezel Herbert that were Done for me before I sold it are completely indistinguishable from the real the thing, in feel and tone, so take that for what it's worth. Not one person has ever been able to tell the difference.

I can believe that. And it seems like the rare time I play out or at a jam session, as long as the tone is decent, the crowd could give two shits less about nuances in tone. Is the song played and sang right and with a fun vibe.

I have a bunch of amps because I like the tone of each one. They are not sentimental for the most part. I would seriously keep 2 or 3 and purge the rest. Guitars will be the focus. I can clear 2 rooms of amps. The wife may buy the thing for me. :LOL: :LOL:

And the Kemper is cheap.... You could have two and run a stereo rig of epic amps for less than the cost of one amp.

I will profile my MKIIC and purple mod Twin Jet a few times. I will be looking for Diezel profiles to swap.

We have entered the Matrix....

mchn13":3rxmx8cn said:
Ventura":3rxmx8cn said:
This shit's getting spooky... :scared:

hahah, no shit. theres been kemper talk all year, but now its a wildfire!

No kidding. I have been taking the Saturday morning recording classes at Guitar Center. Got my little Pre Sonus rig going, installed on my laptop, a few mic stands and mics.

And the guy was asking me what amps I would be micing up, etc. he mentioned out of the blue to buy a Kemper and profile them. The same idea of getting 5 or 6 money profiles and just stepping thru them when playing out, instead of dicking with all the amp settings.

Get back to playing more and tweaking less. It's rock and roll, not light string particle physics.

Here's the thing with the Kemper - if you can get it into a microphone, you can capture it amp-wise. One thing I'm contemplating is getting a high quality splitter box so I can feed two amps at once... and then mic them up, blend the mics with a mixer, and have a kemper patch of say two of my vintage marshalls blended, or my VHT and Dual Rectifier, or (this may destroy the earth as we know it) my Fortin and Cameron modded marshalls. :D

You can even blend several microphones together too - just feed the mics to a mixer, use the channel/faders on the board to add how much. I did a few profiles with two and three microphones into the kemper, blended so I had the best of each mic.

And of course, you can just grab a $99 SM57, go direct to the kemper with it and be done. This is probably how most profiles are made. Some guys who do profiles add EQ and/or compression between the mic and the kemper to make it sound better... so far I've been interested in just getting the real amp sound with no 'enhancements'. I may try that next for grins.

here is one of my concerns.. and it does not relate to the diezel tone at all.. some amps are great while you play them in the room/in the band mix whatever, but once you get to record them, they do not sound that good at all (from any reason). Does that mean, that once you get the amp miced and you get the kemper up and running with such sort of amp, the profiled sound might not sound that good in the room once you play it again?

K-mark5":axau9bvj said:
here is one of my concerns.. and it does not relate to the diezel tone at all.. some amps are great while you play them in the room/in the band mix whatever, but once you get to record them, they do not sound that good at all (from any reason). Does that mean, that once you get the amp miced and you get the kemper up and running with such sort of amp, the profiled sound might not sound that good in the room once you play it again?

Whatever you put into the kemper is what is going to come out. I have a video of me goofing with a profile - changing it/tweaking it - NOT trying to get grailtone, just showing flexibility. Search my last few days posts and you'll find it.

The Kemper sounds like a real amp, with the added bonus that if that profile doesn't work, instead of having to go lug another amp to practice/recording studio/whatever, you just change profiles. You can sort profiles by gain too, so if you had something that wasn't quite working, you could change to a different amp with the same gain structure and try that.

thanks i am on it!

guys just a dumb question.. do you play the kemper live in a band situation? how do you hook it up with your other effects like delays, phasers and those things? and if yes, do you prefer valve power amps+cabs with it or stuff like matrix amps + monitors and atomic FRFR?

K-mark5":274ezuxf said:
thanks i am on it!

guys just a dumb question.. do you play the kemper live in a band situation? how do you hook it up with your other effects like delays, phasers and those things? and if yes, do you prefer valve power amps+cabs with it or stuff like matrix amps + monitors and atomic FRFR?

Used mine live since February. Send a set of stereo outs to FOH - then I use a monitor output to a powered monitor (FRFR) onstage. The kemper allows you to have seperate volumes, so if I need more onstage I can have it but I don't affect what everyone in the club is hearing. I used a power amp and a Marshall 4x12 in the past, but you make the tones more generic since it's like you are playing all the amps through the same cabinet then, if that makes sense. Plus I have a few profiles a guy did of a piezo guitar that sound as good or better than a 'real' one (I have a hamer duotone USA and a Ibanez Prestige with piezos).

As far as effects, delays/phasers/etc are built into the kemper. If you need something else, it has a great fx loop that you can place anywhere on each patch. I run a Eventide pitchfactor with mine, works great.

sir, thanks for your time.. this is why i love this forum and always come back for info.. such a great source of information. thx

Whether it's Fractal or Kemper, there's one test I have yet to prove worthy.

I've heard a number of tone matched Diezel sounds, as well as some Kemper Diezel profiles. I've not had the pleasure of going FRFR with my A2 yet, but that's changing once I get my hands on some CLRs. I've had and heard and played a lot of amps. The Diezels - at least to me and the 3 that I've used the most extensively (VH4, Hagen, Herbert) - all have this 3D bounce to them. It's something that is hard to describe, but any Diezel users here on this board will more than likely nod their heads in agreement. It's something that really fills the room - it's massive and very, very deep and 3 dimensional.

Now, my thing is... Will the Axe replicate this 3 dimensionality? Will the Kemper replicate this 3 dimensionality? Won't know and don't know till I get onboard with my stereo CLRs. But if this is indeed a possibility, than holy shit, I'll be damned.

Mojo

And as an edit I will add that this 3 dimensional sonic quality is something I've really only experienced PLAYING the amps, not really ever hearing it captured on CD or the like of bands and musicians.

Back