The making of a NGD...let's build another one...

Digital Jams":7yvmsl3j said:
Yeah why would fender want small machines like that?

Maybe some skunk works super relic NOS division :scared:

Smaller machines are easier to ship to Vietnam maybe??? :bleh:

TeleBlaster":gqyr05hn said:
What software are you using to toolpath your router?
What RPM is your router?

CAD is Rhino3d.

CAM is MadCAM, which is a plugin for Rhino.

The router is just a regular Porter Cable...variable speed from 10k-23k...

I mentioned that the wood quality is almost always great. This piece had a knot hole on the side. I didn't expect it to go very deep into the wood...

100_1101-1.jpg

But lo and behold when I cut the scrap off...

100_1102.jpg

Dang. Oh well. If this was going to be a transparent finish, it wasn't anymore. :D But I had planned for a solid color all along, and this wasn't a defect that is going to affect the integrity of the piece at all. It looks worse than it actually is. It's really just a discolored spot.

So we carry on...

That scrap gets cut away on the bandsaw, then the body perimeter gets sanded...all the bumps and divots and whatnot that you can see in the photo need to be gone. 80 grit, then 120 to smooth it out. Then it goes to the router table to get the rounded over radius edge.

The roundover bit can't deal with the contoured parts - the tummy cut and elbow cut, so those bits get rounded by hand with rasps, files, and then sanded smooth.

100_1105.jpg

100_1104.jpg

Once the radius is all complete, it's time for more sanding all over. 120 grit, then 150, then 180, then 220.

I'm happy with the result so far. I wanted deep cutaways...along with the narrower waist it makes the body feel a little bit sleeker and more streamlined than a strat while still feeling familiar.

After finish sanding the body got sent off for paint. That was a week or two ago, and I'm expecting it back a week or two from now.

IMG_12652.jpg

Next up, and yet to happen...I have to decide on SSS or HSS and then fashion a pickguard...

And, I got some killer flame and birdseye maple, so we might upgrade the neck if time permits...

yngzaklynch":1659ma15 said:
The body shape looks great. Maybe go with the same pups Andy Timmons uses??

I thought about that but I already had two duncan singles on hand. So I got another single and also got a Custom humbucker. So I can either SSS or HSS but it will be all duncan in either case...

Regarding that knot, it is all a matter of perspective. When I did my kitchen floors in pine the last thing I wanted was a bowling alley looking thing, sterile and plain. The german shepard did a few drag rips across the floor before I could get the urithaine on and well I like the looks, character and old school to go with the knots. Many say the Stanley Cup is the most beautiful trophey in all sports due to the dents, dings, x-outs etc and I agree.

Knot does not bother me :thumbsup:

You need a french curve cabinet tool to be one with Jol, maybe I will buy one and go to Jol's shop to have him sign it.

The body looks awesome!

Well a week or two in paint turned into two months. But no matter. Glad to see a small businessman that busy. I got the shipment notification yesterday so we'll be on track to finish this thing up once the body arrives in another day or so...

\:D/

ratter":30vwfegh said:
Well a week or two in paint turned into two months. But no matter. Glad to see a small businessman that busy. I got the shipment notification yesterday so we'll be on track to finish this thing up once the body arrives in another day or so...

\:D/
STOKED!! :rock:

Digital Jams":1dqm5mer said:
Yeah paint takes time :no:

Well this one got urethane, not nitro. So it could have been just a few days if not for the backlog. But like I said, no worries. I'm sure it is quality work.

Now I gotta remember wtf I was doing...oh yeah, pickguard. Maybe tomorrow...

The painted body has landed...work can begin anew!

Remember that business about the tight neck pocket. The guitar is hanging by the headstock...the neck is not screwed to the body. But it's also not TOO tight...

black1.jpg

NOICE!

I see lots of bodies on the floor, anything worth anything??

I am liking the Pacer influence, great playing comfortible design :thumbsup:

Back