Things that bug you about gear

311splawndude

Face it, we all love gear or we wouldn't be here. Well....most of us anyway :LOL:

What are some things that bug you about gear outside of GAS?

Things like:
Guitars/bridges/strings going out of tune too fast.
Software versions on FX systems going out of date too fast.

For me:
Tubes: We all love tube amps. The look, the smell, the tone, etc but I don't like how they can go bad and also face potential shortages
Pedals: Some are just too damn big and having different configurations, sometimes equates to creative cabling :D
Guitar straps: Not all straps are created equal and sometimes it is hard to find one that sits in that sweet spot and often you don't know until after you've purchased it and wear it for awhile.

You?

Last edited:
Top mounted pedal jacks
The suckage of “most” effects loops
Modulation pedals without mix/level controls
Stripped screw heads in cabs

Weather and humidity changes. I get annoyed by the weather changes... It would be awesome if my guitar necks didnt move at all.

Next is house voltage. I have a brown box which I use to get a constant voltage output. I tend to like 113v.
I'm a New England guy ...... my necks move like the weather ......

Weather and humidity changes. I get annoyed by the weather changes... It would be awesome if my guitar necks didnt move at all.
This. So much this. I've literally thrown out or given away 3 guitars because of the f***ing necks going beyond repair and being super fret-buzzy, simply from sitting on a guitar stand. Down to one electric guitar thanks to it. The Ottawa valley is brutal. Constantly torn between keeping guitars in cases with humidifiers to keep them in better shape, and never playing them, or having them out for easy access and them dying a slow death.

I desperately want a guitar with a roasted maple neck and Evertune bridge so that I hopefully never have to deal with this BS again :aww:

. I've literally thrown out or given away 3 guitars because of the f***ing necks going beyond repair and being super fret-buzzy, simply from sitting on a guitar stand. Down to one electric guitar thanks to it. The Ottawa valley is brutal. Constantly torn between keeping guitars in cases with humidifiers to keep them in better shape, and never playing them, or having them out for easy access and them dying a slow death:aww:
How exactly does keeping a guitar on a stand wreck the neck? Considering all the music stores around the world and so many guitars hanging on walls in studios and private homes, even just the ones in areas of the world that experience all four seasons with corresponding temperature/humidity variations, I'd think we'd be hearing more on this. I'm just a few hours south of you and keep my guitars on a 3 unit stand all the time with zero problems.

How exactly does keeping a guitar on a stand wreck the neck? Considering all the music stores around the world and so many guitars hanging on walls in studios and private homes, even just the ones in areas of the world that experience all four seasons with corresponding temperature/humidity variations, I'd think we'd be hearing more on this. I'm just a few hours south of you and keep my guitars on a 3 unit stand all the time with zero problems.
This. Here in Wi, the humidity/dry air swings are legendary. Then, -40 during winter. My guitars are also on a 3 way stand. Not once have I had to adjust the truss rods in any of them.
Only exception is a 1986 Jackson I just bought that needed a 1/4 inch tighten.

Cutting each end off of the strings for Floyd Roses. Then having to collect and wind up all the pieces and tape it up safely in the string package for the garbage because I’m always stabbing myself.

I have had more bleeding finger pricks from those things. That is why I started stringing my Floyd's, when I still had them, backwards. Run the string from the top through the tuner and let the ball end lock it in place. Only have to cut by the bridge that way. Sure, can look ugly but I never cared.

This. So much this. I've literally thrown out or given away 3 guitars because of the f***ing necks going beyond repair and being super fret-buzzy, simply from sitting on a guitar stand. Down to one electric guitar thanks to it. The Ottawa valley is brutal. Constantly torn between keeping guitars in cases with humidifiers to keep them in better shape, and never playing them, or having them out for easy access and them dying a slow death.

I desperately want a guitar with a roasted maple neck and Evertune bridge so that I hopefully never have to deal with this BS again :aww:
That's retarded.

Nah. Fuck it.

It’s fun, it’s my hobby, pretty much everything everyone has bitched about is just part of it to me, you know?

None of these are new things, we’ve all been there and done it. Strings, pedals, tubes, amps, guitars etc…

At this point it’s how you play the game.

This is my main hobby besides motorcycling and martial arts, and it’s really not expensive end of the day.

There’s something calming to me about changing strings/pickups/tuners that I don’t really get anywhere else.

End of the day I’m pretty stoked where I’m at. I have 5 great amps, 5 pretty sick guitars, some great pedals, and record into some gnarly headphones using a little chorus and reverb.

My tones are the best I’ve ever had, no complaints. I see guys struggling and try to help em out, hoping they get to the point where none of that is an issue anymore.

Back