Thinking about jumping the Fractal ship to go Helix...

Chris O

I've got an AX8, and it's great. I hate editing anything on it, but I'm usually always hooked up to the editor anyway. The other night, I picked up a Line 6 Firehawk FX, and I REALLY like it! Sounds great through my KRK 6's, which is what I'm jamming thru 90% of the time.

So...it got me thinking -- I love the interface of the Firehawk via my iPad. So simple. And despite the naysayers, I really like the Line 6 amp models, and so on, and the effects are more than enough for my needs. I've seen the interface of the Helix and HLT, and seems very similar to what I'd see with the FH.

I've kinda thinking about trading/selling the AX8 for a Helix. Anyone else done this and been happy/had regrets? Let's hear it...

I did....2x....and am Ultimately back to fractal. I thought the Helix was good and sounded good enough but I was so used to the Axe Fx and for me,because of that, The Axe Fx II sounded a lot better. The display on helix was nice but I really had no use for it as I keep them connected to the computer. Its definitely a nice unit but has not really had the amount of updates or evolution Ive seen with Fractal who is always improving their product. Tone is obviously subjective but for me, Axe Fx II just sounds a lot better and also had a better feel when playing

Sold my AX8 and grabbed the Helix LT and couldn't be happier. Much easier workflow and I too feel like for ME, the amp sounds are more to my liking. Something great happened at FW2.0 with the Helix and they have new amps coming in the next FW release I believe. Between Helix and Native they will be doing some very cool stuff for sure.

As I think about it, I will often go back to my old school Pod, and I enjoy the tones I get from it. Easy to dial up. The only gripe I have for Fractal is the "ease of use" factor...it doesn't really exist to me unless I'm using the editor. The Helix seems to continue down tha path of Line 6's intuitive simplicity. Makes this move much easier to consider...

I was a huge fan of the original LINE 6 POD. It blew me away when I first got it and just loved the tones. I got a LINE 6 Flextone II a few years after that and after two of them broke (while I was in a band doing gigs), I lost interest a bit in the LINE 6 stuff. Years later I returned to the fold with the PODXT and really liked it.

I haven't played thru the Helix but from what I've read and heard, seems like a solid piece of gear. I think LINE 6 is way beyond their tones from years ago and pretty impressive how they are always coming up with great stuff.

With that said, I have been so happy with my Fractal Axe-Fx II that I have barely even thought about getting a new amp. I'm always able to get great tones. To be honest, I feel like whether Fractal, LINE 6, Kemper, etc. they are going to have tones close enough to the real thing, that it should just come down to what particular options people like, etc.

I haven't played the AX8 and know it is not as expensive as the Axe-Fx so wouldn't be a huge loss moneywise if you didn't end up jiving with the Helix over the long run. Good luck! :)

I agree with the comment about the tones - they are all putting out good stuff (Fractal, L6, KPA, Etc...), and as pointed out earlier, it's often what you're "used to hearing". My tones chnage depending on the "rig" I'm running them through, so I have become pretty flexible with that part.

AX8's are holding value pretty well, and since the new ones are MIC, hopefully that makes mine a little more "desirable"...at least with the MIA snobs! Lol... I'm actually thinking of going with the LT, since the engine is the same - I don't need the extras loops, and some of the connectivity options. If that's the way this all goes, I should walk away with a few bucks in my pocket.

Chris
If you like the Firehawk and POD
You will easily love the Helix I suspect it will well surpass your expectations
As Jer said there's more to come soon and Line6 customer care
Has gone from not great to exceptional on the Helix line

gtr31":2mkyoi5d said:
Chris
If you like the Firehawk and POD
You will easily love the Helix I suspect it will well surpass your expectations
As Jer said there's more to come soon and Line6 customer care
Has gone from not great to exceptional on the Helix line

I'm pretty confident in that as well. That said, I have no reason to "not like" the Fractal - it sounds AMAZING - but I think I could "get by" with the Helix. I'm just a little nervous about seller's/buyer's remorse.

I suppose I could do the "love it or return it" thing at GC... Worst case scenario, I just carry a little CC balance until I decide to keep it or sell the AX8.

Good to hear the the L6 customer service has stepped up - I see they have a pretty heavy presence over at TGP, and have guys answering stuff there all the time. That's pretty cool.

Helix is awesome! I've tweaked the new Mark IV presets and they sound hellacious through my monitors and FOH when I don't use my amp with it. I run mine in 4CM with my JP-2C and it switches the amp perfectly, is quiet and is absolutely drop dead easy to edit with. I've barely had to crack the manual.

Zero regrets with my Helix rack, love the thing and it only gets better with each update. It's the "brain" of my entire rack rig doing tons of routing since I use all four of its built in FX loops, various outputs and switching features along with drive pedal modeling, modulation FX, EQs, comps, gates, delays, verbs and amp and preamp modeling too. I don't use the cab modeling or IRs since I run it through a VHT 2150 in stereo or through my EVH 50w and the VHT in w/d/w through a bunch of 4x12 cabs, so my situation is a bit different compared to those who use it FRFR or into studio monitors. For what I do, it's flat out killer.

Chris O":19c24lwy said:
I agree with the comment about the tones - they are all putting out good stuff (Fractal, L6, KPA, Etc...), and as pointed out earlier, it's often what you're "used to hearing". My tones chnage depending on the "rig" I'm running them through, so I have become pretty flexible with that part.

AX8's are holding value pretty well, and since the new ones are MIC, hopefully that makes mine a little more "desirable"...at least with the MIA snobs! Lol... I'm actually thinking of going with the LT, since the engine is the same - I don't need the extras loops, and some of the connectivity options. If that's the way this all goes, I should walk away with a few bucks in my pocket.
I have no use for a lot of the extra features of the Floor model. I don;t need the additional loops as I use the LT as an "all in one" solution. No need for vocal mic pre's or the scribble strips either. The Performance mode is so good, folks with the scribbles are asking for that mode to be included in the next update for the Floor model!
And trust me, you will more than just "get by" if you go the Helix route. My AX8 sounded great, as I mentioned, but I don't miss it in the least. Best of all, you have guys like Frank Ritchotte, Dir of Ops for L6 that is super active on forums and FB as well. Their customer service is friggin' amazing.

Well...here we go! I have a sale pending payment on my AX8, so once that hits my account, I'll be purchasing the Helix - probably the LT. :thumbsup:

Chris O":3ewzfv56 said:
Well...here we go! I have a sale pending payment on my AX8, so once that hits my account, I'll be purchasing the Helix - probably the LT. :thumbsup:
While I pretty much play my Kemper exclusively now, I still consider my Helix one of the best gear purchases I've ever made. It's just rock solid, very reliable, and so versatile. I only used mine for effects and as an IR host to run my loaded amps through. Plus the ability to record direct...it's just a no-brainer.

Chris O":y1jma17n said:
AX8 sold, Helix LT ordered! :thumbsup:
Nice! Be sure to download the editer interface for your Mac/PC; this is a must. Also, while the stock cabinets in the Helix are fine, don't overlook the very cool option of loading your own IRs as well.

Bronco":3ugeuypa said:
Chris O":3ugeuypa said:
AX8 sold, Helix LT ordered! :thumbsup:
Nice! Be sure to download the editer interface for your Mac/PC; this is a must. Also, while the stock cabinets in the Helix are fine, don't overlook the very cool option of loading your own IRs as well.

Yep - the editors make the world a better place!

Totally agree on the cab IR's - they make all the difference in a lot of cases. After my experience with the Fractals, and AmpliFire, they can make a good preset a GREAT preset!

Back