this riff!!!!! whoa!!!

FYI, Olly is in the band Monuments with John Browne. I've enjoyed some of Monuments songs but just the guitar stuff seems to get tiresome quickly for myself. Seems Olly has been working on his technical skills and threw it into a song, nothing other guitarists haven't done over the years to show off a little. I won't knock it because I certainly can't play it but to some others point, I don't really have any interest in learning it either.

Also, I wouldn't really call this groundbreaking either. It sounds in the same vain as bands like Periphery, I Built The Sky, maybe The Haarp Machine or possibly Sikth, which have been around awhile now.

I just hate the fact that nowdays you make a video clip where you sit down in a chair...
this is crap...this is not rocknroll this is elitistic shit...

I don't care if the guy can play...you show yourself sitting in a f chair...where is the band...do you even have a f strap...?
Does he actually know what a concert show is...??
f pathetic...

and then EVERYBODY is wondering why we keep going to Iron Maiden concerts...(and real metal concerts)
Its the f show...
f pathetic...
Dude, it’s a play through for JTC guitar. He is doing this for a lesson. You want him to get his entire band a record a lesson during a show? By the way, these guys play to large crowds when they play live, he is the second guitarist in Monuments along with John Browne.

This is so weird, I could have sworn I was trying to get to RigTalk.

Obviously I’ve gone to TheGearPage.com by mistake.

Back in MY DAY we played REAL MUSIC with REAL PEOPLE playing 1-4-5 Blues for 6 hours at a time under nothing but meandering E pentatonic scales. That’s REAL music. Anything else might as well be R2-D2 beep booping into a mic.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ll be in my truck wearing sunglasses and a goatee posting a video to Facebook of me screaming into my phone about how the world isn’t as simple as I need it to be.
This is for a lesson. I’ve seen Lynch sit down when doing lessons, as well as DeMartini, Yngwie, Kotzen, etc. they sit down at times for lessons.

At least Muhammed plays with a strap, standing and not on a chair...
And sings at the same time...
I have no problem with the genre or any style...nobody loves everything...
But official video with the guitarist sitting in a chair...f pathetic..

Its a play through for jam track central. I am sure some of your favorite guitar players sat down when doing lessons.

I like the riff...It’s different and interesting. I had to listen a few time to hear what is going on.

I’ve always dug this riff. I’m posting this video so you can see his fingers.

That’s Keith Merrow. Song is called Pillars of Creation. Over 10 years old (2009).

If you have a problem with this you should also have a problem with meshuggah just saying . I think both are pretty insane from a musical stand point

Hahaha I was literally about to whip out the “boomer” on this thread lol. I think its sick, and i dont get all the dudes saying, “well he can play; but..). Theres a ton of videos of chet atkins and jerry reed shredding and sitting in chairs. Im sure there were a lot of country guys at the time calling them out for putting jazz in their country. 👍

Jerry Reed is legendary:

If you have a problem with this you should also have a problem with meshuggah just saying . I think both are pretty insane from a musical stand point
Meshuggah is one of my all time favorite metal bands. That kid sounded good, I especially loved that brief solo at the end, but he’s nowhere near Meshuggah’s level imo. That riff in the beginning didn’t actually do much for me, but that solo and a few other parts were cool

The problem with more technical players like him is that we tend to mostly care about the very best ones, not just ones whose are simply very good, while musicians that are more evocative with their musical ideas can be great and rise to the top even if their technical abilities aren’t the best

What I like about Meshuggah is that they’re not necessarily being technical just to be technical. Their musical ideas still come from a place of inspiriation and feeling and turns out to have complex rhythms, while still also actually being music that makes me feel something. The vast majority of other technical players seem like that’s all they’re trying to showcase

Last edited:
You can get as melodically and rhythmically technical as you like, but there are generally two types of delivery of such things - musical and not. I simply felt it was "not". No emotional value. Wasn't moved in the slightest. Wasn't left feeling I ought to explore more from the artist. This is why I said it felt like an algorithmically-generated piece.

Now the update:
After listening to it a couple more times a day later, I realise I was too-quick-to-judge!

It's not bad at all IMHO. :rock:

Mooncobra, thank you for sharing, mate. IIRC I was the first to "like" your post (the OP), so please don't feel I didn't appreciate your effort. It was just one of those cases, and we've all had 'em, where one doesn't think much of a piece and then later grows to like it. I should've kept my trap shut rather than go off on a rant which I now realise doesn't apply to Olly, to be fair.

I like the riff...It’s different and interesting. I had to listen a few time to hear what is going on.

I’ve always dug this riff. I’m posting this video so you can see his fingers.

I saw this one before..Keith Merrow ? I listened to it over and over and over........

Don't mind his playing, but don't care for him personally. Met him years ago when his band came through a club I was working. Talked to him after the show and he was kinda a dick....I chalked it up as maybe he was tired or something, but he acted very "I don't care to talk to you." I actually complimented him on his EVH demo for the EVH amps website. He kinda said "It sucked...hated it." I've met many musicians, hope it was just a bad day.

I hear this style quite a bit lurking in FB guitar groups and it makes me feel old every time hahaha. I mean it's not for me, my idea of a riff is still Hetfield/ Slayer kind of shit. But I think it's cool there are new generations of guitarist out there doing new things, I just wish it didn't sound so greek to my ears. I'm guessing this kid didn't grow up playing AC/DC riffs :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

Just read this and it made me think of this thread. This a broadcaster comparing The Beatles to Zeppelin while interviewing John Bonham at the very beginning of Zeppelin.

Bonham and singer Robert Plant were descended upon by the broadcaster and naturally, they were full of comparisons. “One thinks of a song of theirs, ‘Yesterday,’ which had all sorts of variations played upon it,” the interview began. “The thing about being able to whistle a tune — I don’t know if I can hum any of your stuff.”
:LOL:

Back