Thoughts on a vhx

Just been wondering how vhx users think of the vhx because I played a vh4 and wasn’t that impressed 😔
Not sure what genre you're looking for, but if you're into anything past earlier thrash metal and standard tuning, I don't hear unanimous high praise for the VH4. There is some, to be sure, but most people find it just too dry and not tight enough. On the other hand, I also hear others describe it as extremely tight and saturated, but it seems to be maybe in a different way than people expect from something like an Engl.

An overdrive can bring it close enough I suppose, but I don't like playing with pedals myself. I bought the VHX specifically for that reason since it has all the effects I'd ever use built-in. Also, the fact it more or less emulates every other amp in the Diezel catalog. I was essentially hoping it would be more like a Herbert MK III but with the flexibility of a modeler. And while it does do that, something else I was told was that it has more gain on tap than their other amps, so after spending a little over a year with mine I'm finding that I go back and forth between the Herbert voicing and the VH4 since I can push the VH4 setting past what the original is able to do and both sounds work well for what I play. It also has some sounds of its own that can't really be dialed in on anything else they've built so far, so even if the Herbert nor Hagen also isn't for you, there's still a lot to explore.

There are a lot of different ways to voice the amp and shape your tone, so don't discount Diezel if the VH4 doesn't impress you much. The VHX will more than likely have a sound that fits what you're looking for.

Not sure what genre you're looking for, but if you're into anything past earlier thrash metal and standard tuning, I don't hear unanimous high praise for the VH4. There is some, to be sure, but most people find it just too dry and not tight enough. On the other hand, I also hear others describe it as extremely tight and saturated, but it seems to be maybe in a different way than people expect from something like an Engl.

An overdrive can bring it close enough I suppose, but I don't like playing with pedals myself. I bought the VHX specifically for that reason since it has all the effects I'd ever use built-in. Also, the fact it more or less emulates every other amp in the Diezel catalog. I was essentially hoping it would be more like a Herbert MK III but with the flexibility of a modeler. And while it does do that, something else I was told was that it has more gain on tap than their other amps, so after spending a little over a year with mine I'm finding that I go back and forth between the Herbert voicing and the VH4 since I can push the VH4 setting past what the original is able to do and both sounds work well for what I play. It also has some sounds of its own that can't really be dialed in on anything else they've built so far, so even if the Herbert nor Hagen also isn't for you, there's still a lot to explore.

There are a lot of different ways to voice the amp and shape your tone, so don't discount Diezel if the VH4 doesn't impress you much. The VHX will more than likely have a sound that fits what you're looking for.
Some good info thanks

I saw your post on modeling amps. Instead of going that way I’d rather get a VHX . It’s a great amp for someone like you who wants digital effects and a great tone . I think is a great place for you go to with the questions your asking

What exactly didn't you like on the VH4?
I am quite sure its not for everyone, it has a special Sound on its own which is from my perspective extremely dry and tight which irritates in the beginning. The amp won't excuse anything than perfect playing as you directly hear it.
The real advantage of the Diezels I have owned is the cut through in the mix, I was never extremely happy with the sound when playing on my own (not disappointed either), but in a full band context it's fantastic.

Best experience was a soundcheck, where it took one chord for the FOH mixer to jump to the next one...

But anyhow, it's a Diezel sound, so the VH4 can you bring you close to many other amp territories, especially CH1 & 2, but it will stay a Diezel..

Regarding the VHX, it is similar to the VH4 from my point of view, different amp but close, with the built in effects (which are very good), it solves the "dry" without the need to add external pedals...
However, again in a full context not sure if you want to play too "wet"...

Last edited:
Back