Thoughts on the Nazgûl for lower tuned metal?

Soundstorm

Looking to swap out the Duncan Distortion in my Strandberg for something with a tighter low end and more cut. Anyone using the Nazgûl?

I've got one on the way. I've got a Strat that's kinda picky about pickups, and I'm actually replacing a Duncan Distortion as well that wasn't tight and aggressive enough for my liking in this particular guitar.

I put one in my Solar I keep in drop-C, did exactly what I wanted it to; tight with a mid-push and clear highs without being ice-picky.

I’d imagine you can get pretty low with it due to its tightness. It IS higher output so depending on how you dial everything else in, that can lend itself to some mush with lower tunings, but it’s a killer pickup.

I like that pickup a lot. Chunk and Crunch. Its not the tightest pickup, but usually tighter gets too thin. It is tighter than some of the other Duncans, like the Custom and Invader.

My Nazgul is in only a dropD guitar. I could imagine that it would work ok for deep tunings, but I want to get rid of it on this one, it just has no ferocity to it.
Years ago I had a Nazgul 7 that had so much djent quack to it, it was the worst pickup ever. I hear the 7 version is different than the 6, which some people like.

I've got one on the way. I've got a Strat that's kinda picky about pickups, and I'm actually replacing a Duncan Distortion as well that wasn't tight and aggressive enough for my liking in this particular guitar.
Great minds and all! What tuning are you using?

I am not sure I would say the Nazgul is more aggressive than the Distortion. I was playing my guitars tonight that have the Distortion, Nazgul, and D Sonic.

I think the Nazgul has slightly less output than the Distortion, so it is clearer. It doesn't have that high end fizz, but has more of an upper mid crunch, and it has less lower mids, so the the bass is tighter. Not really less though.

You might try the Dimarzio D Sonic. It has less bass than either, so it is much tighter. It has a ton of that lower treble / upper mid metallic clank that makes it cold and aggressive. It has more output than the Distortion also.

My Nazgul is in only a dropD guitar. I could imagine that it would work ok for deep tunings, but I want to get rid of it on this one, it just has no ferocity to it.
Years ago I had a Nazgul 7 that had so much djent quack to it, it was the worst pickup ever. I hear the 7 version is different than the 6, which some people like.
Was that in a Schecter KM guitar? I have heard the bridge pickups in those are closer to the bridge than normal, so that made these pickups sound more quacky than normal.

Was that in a Schecter KM guitar? I have heard the bridge pickups in those are closer to the bridge than normal, so that made these pickups sound more quacky than normal.
haha yes it was, one of the earlier versions when they came out. Quack City

The other guy in my band uses the 7 string version, we tune to drop A, and it holds up really well in that range I think.
He's running a 5150 II, with a ts9 on the red channel.

Back