Tim Henson's new home studio

Never heard of him , cant imagine theres a market for this music...pretty cool really but not one fucking tube amp to be found!!! blasphamy , this is neat,,

Reactions: rsm
As a certified old man guitar player, this thread takes me back about 40 years. I remember it being say 1982 (so I was around 15) or so and going in to my local guitar shop where there were a couple of guys who worked there that I thought were old as hell. They were probably 26-30 years old now that I look back. I used to hang in there as much as I could if my mom would give me a ride and I'd be geeking out over the Hamer's and Kramer's. I would work up the courage to ask to play a guitar and would then proceed to mangle some Van Halen or Rhoads riffs and licks and they really didn't even know or care what I was playing. They weren't into it. They would try and mentor me into getting in to Clapton and Beck and Hendrix and Little Feat and Leslie West and all this "total old man music" that I thought just sucked and they were so unhip and out of touch.

I distinctly remember them teasing me and asking if those chicks Randy Rhoads and Eddie Van Halen were in Charlie's Angels. Think back. Tell me Eddie and Randy with their feathered hair didn't look like they could have been in Charlie's Angels. That's actually quite funny and pretty accurate. Tell me Rhoads and Van Halen and other 80's music heroes we had didn't spend easily as much time doing their hair as this "kid" does. Tell me half the bands we dug weren't easily as effeminate looking as this guy.

Do I love Tim Henson? No, not at all. But I certainly enjoyed this studio walk through. I enjoyed listening to him talk about his gear and his studio and that he wasn't as much of a "douche" as I thought he would be when I judged his image like I was as an old man who had never worn anything ridiculous in my quest for music stardom. I try not to do that but sometimes my menopause and osteoporosis and incontinence and glaucoma overpowers my judgement.

Silly sweater? Yeah, maybe. Any sillier than dudes in red spandex pants and leopard print cropped top belly shirts and feathered Aqua Net hair and zip up white half length cowboy boots? Wearing goofy slippers while walking around in his own house any sillier than wearing Capezio dance shoes when you weren't a dancer?

And if cutting edge guitar software company Neural DSP had spent as much time with me developing 3 amps that covered everything I wanted in guitar sounds and released a plug in suite that I developed with them and approved with my name on it, there's a good chance that would be what I played through too. Heck, I spend all my practicing time and recording scratch tracks playing a Neural DSP plug in that doesn't have my name on it

Dang man, I am old as hell, and bitter and jaded like the rest of us, but this thread sucks.

As a certified old man guitar player, this thread takes me back about 40 years. I remember it being say 1982 (so I was around 15) or so and going in to my local guitar shop where there were a couple of guys who worked there that I thought were old as hell. They were probably 26-30 years old now that I look back. I used to hang in there as much as I could if my mom would give me a ride and I'd be geeking out over the Hamer's and Kramer's. I would work up the courage to ask to play a guitar and would then proceed to mangle some Van Halen or Rhoads riffs and licks and they really didn't even know or care what I was playing. They weren't into it. They would try and mentor me into getting in to Clapton and Beck and Hendrix and Little Feat and Leslie West and all this "total old man music" that I thought just sucked and they were so unhip and out of touch.

I distinctly remember them teasing me and asking if those chicks Randy Rhoads and Eddie Van Halen were in Charlie's Angels. Think back. Tell me Eddie and Randy with their feathered hair didn't look like they could have been in Charlie's Angels. That's actually quite funny and pretty accurate. Tell me Rhoads and Van Halen and other 80's music heroes we had didn't spend easily as much time doing their hair as this "kid" does. Tell me half the bands we dug weren't easily as effeminate looking as this guy.

Do I love Tim Henson? No, not at all. But I certainly enjoyed this studio walk through. I enjoyed listening to him talk about his gear and his studio and that he wasn't as much of a "douche" as I thought he would be when I judged his image like I was as an old man who had never worn anything ridiculous in my quest for music stardom. I try not to do that but sometimes my menopause and osteoporosis and incontinence and glaucoma overpowers my judgement.

Silly sweater? Yeah, maybe. Any sillier than dudes in red spandex pants and leopard print cropped top belly shirts and feathered Aqua Net hair and zip up white half length cowboy boots? Wearing goofy slippers while walking around in his own house any sillier than wearing Capezio dance shoes when you weren't a dancer?

And if cutting edge guitar software company Neural DSP had spent as much time with me developing 3 amps that covered everything I wanted in guitar sounds and released a plug in suite that I developed with them and approved with my name on it, there's a good chance that would be what I played through too. Heck, I spend all my practicing time and recording scratch tracks playing a Neural DSP plug in that doesn't have my name on it

Dang man, I am old as hell, and bitter and jaded like the rest of us, but this thread sucks.
giphy.gif

LOL, all us 80's rockers and even the older 70's era glam guys have to admit that it is pretty damn funny that we are complaining about this kids hair or his fashion choices. If you could go into our skeleton filled closets and post pics of our worst fashion choices while trying to be in the scene, I can tell you for sure, this kid's hair isn't as ridiculous as what you would see in my pics. And that sweater? Man, I would beg for people to see me in that sweater over what I would actually be wearing in my pics.

And I'm not some old dude still trying to be hip and make the scene and trying to fit in with the younger crowd. Those dudes make me cringe.

lol those slippers... ok this should be good.

I gotta say, i hate shaming anyone but he looks like such a dork with that hair and neck tattoo. It just looks so ridiculous and makes him look like he has a turtle neck. He needed better friends to talk him out of that one... and those sweaters. Anyway here we go!

And this one, I have to say, Kapo, you are from the country that gave us this:

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 16

'

Glam you say?

The Sweet, official promo photo:

Sweet_promotional_photo.jpg

You're trying to tell me that in 1982 which was clearly during the time frame when Van Halen and Randy Rhoads/ Ozzy were at their peak popularity that a guitar shop looked at you strangely when you attempted to play VH or Rhoads licks I mean c'mon, there's no effing way . I was a regular at a shit ton of guitar shops back in those days and not just one state multiple states across the country and every one of them was obsessed with those players .

Every guitar store on planet earth was packed with people attempting to play the licks from those two bands back in 1982 and every guitar teacher was bombarded with requests to teach how to play what those two guys were playing . I've also never ever heard anybody ever mention that Eddie or Randy had a feminine look .

I've heard a ton of people say Poison and other bands of their ilk appeared feminine but never those two.

Last edited:
To be fair, that's not how they would've dressed at-home, so there's that.
don't be too sure about that. I recall one of the members of The Sweet was severely beaten in part due to his looks and clothing when he was just out and about somewhere in the UK?

I'm not into his music, but he's doing exactly what bands where doing in the 80s... innovating, dressing weird and pissing off the older generation. Using the hatred to generate income.

It's just that we are now bitter older generation. Telling young shredders their music sucks will just do what it did when kids experienced the same in the 80s. They will just go harder.

Last edited:
You're trying to tell me that in 1982 which was clearly during the time frame when Van Halen and Randy Rhoads/ Ozzy were at their peak popularity that a guitar shop looked at you strangely when you attempted to play VH or Rhoads licks I mean c'mon, there's no effing way . I was a regular at a shit ton of guitar shops back in those days and not just one state multiple states across the country and every one of them was obsessed with those players .

Every guitar store on planet earth was packed with people attempting to play the licks from those two bands back in 1982 and every guitar teacher was bombarded with requests to teach how to play what those two guys were playing . I've also never ever heard anybody ever mention that Eddie or Randy had a feminine look .

I've heard a ton of people say Poison and other bands of their ilk appeared feminine but never those two.
I'm not trying to tell you that. I'm telling you that. The "old dudes" in this guitar shop were not into the younger, new players. They were in to the players they grew up on. The 60's guys. That's no news flash. In the exact same way I was not into the 90's stuff when younger kids would come in to my guitar shop and start playing grunge stuff even though grunge was at the peak of it's popularity. I'm still good friends with a couple of LA based guys 10 years older than me that were into the 60's guys and did not dig Van Halen or jump on that bus at all. In fact, they disliked Van Halen because it rendered their playing style, their wah wahs, their bell bottom corduroys and their big long Jeff Baxter mustaches as passe. Heck, one of these friends was good friends with Van Halen and wrote a recent book about him. He was still way more in to Beck and Blackmore and Hendrix.

at their peak popularity that a guitar shop looked at you strangely when you attempted to play VH or Rhoads licks I mean c'mon, there's no effing way .

Well it is great to know that my distinctly remembered experience didn't really happen. And I never said they looked at me strangely, those are your words. I said they weren't in to what I was playing. These guys were friendly in like an older uncle way. They were cool to me. They tried to hip me to what they were into and take me under their wing and turn me away from this flash new stuff and onto the real stuff like they were in to. Just like every previous generation of music fans and players does. Everyone thinks the music they grew up on was the best. These guys were no different.

So yeah, I'm sure in most guitar stores, the younger guys were all into exactly what was happening at the time because they were young and trying to make it and that was the sound to catch. You think I immediately got into Korn or Limp Bizcuit or Dragon Force or whatever new sound came along that kids would be playing in my guitar shop? Heck no, I was trying to hip them to Van Halen and Rhoads etc, exactly like the dudes did to me when i was young.

What year were you born? I was born in 1966.

I'm not trying to tell you that. I'm telling you that. The "old dudes" in this guitar shop were not into the younger, new players. They were in to the players they grew up on. The 60's guys. That's no news flash. In the exact same way I was not into the 90's stuff when younger kids would come in to my guitar shop and start playing grunge stuff even though grunge was at the peak of it's popularity. I'm still good friends with a couple of LA based guys 10 years older than me that were into the 60's guys and did not dig Van Halen or jump on that bus at all. In fact, they disliked Van Halen because it rendered their playing style, their wah wahs, their bell bottom corduroys and their big long Jeff Baxter mustaches as passe. Heck, one of these friends was good friends with Van Halen and wrote a recent book about him. He was still way more in to Beck and Blackmore and Hendrix.

Well it is great to know that my distinctly remembered experience didn't really happen. And I never said they looked at me strangely, those are your words. I said they weren't in to what I was playing. These guys were friendly in like an older uncle way. They were cool to me. They tried to hip me to what they were into and take me under their wing and turn me away from this flash new stuff and onto the real stuff like they were in to. Just like every previous generation of music fans and players does. Everyone thinks the music they grew up on was the best. These guys were no different.

So yeah, I'm sure in most guitar stores, the younger guys were all into exactly what was happening at the time because they were young and trying to make it and that was the sound to catch. You think I immediately got into Korn or Limp Bizcuit or Dragon Force or whatever new sound came along that kids would be playing in my guitar shop? Heck no, I was trying to hip them to Van Halen and Rhoads etc, exactly like the dudes did to me when i was young.

What year were you born? I was born in 1966.
I remember getting the first Van Halen album on vinyl, and cranking it at home..

My neighbor could hear it, and when I ran into him later his comment was, "Jeff Beck is better."

:ROFLMAO:

I remember getting the first Van Halen album on vinyl, and cranking it at home..

My neighbor could hear it, and when I ran into him later his comment was, "Jeff Beck is better."

:ROFLMAO:
I'm very sorry to say that this did not happen. You think it did. But it couldn't have possibly happened. :)

Back