To those that have found an awesome Les Paul: Talk about it!

I LOVE my '95 LP Studio. It's so much nicer sounding/playing than the newer studios I pick up at shops these days. It's hangs with some of the good standards/customs that I've played.

The bad side is that it didn't stay in tune for shit until I replaced the nut and tuners. Now it's great! :thumbsup:

back in '96 I picked up a new LP Classic model from Gruhn's guitars in Nashville. Best playing/sounding guitar for live work I have ever owned. I always come back to it, it never lets me down. It's now old and beat up just like me, but plays fast, loud and raw.

ty

I have owned more than 100 LP's over the years and always keep a dozen or so on hand. The best I have ever had including old ones from the 1950's is this 2003 R9, Everything is perfect and it rings like a piano. :rock:

59lp2.jpg

rareguitar":vb4x1uwm said:
I have owned more than 100 LP's over the years and always keep a dozen or so on hand. The best I have ever had including old ones from the 1950's is this 2003 R9, Everything is perfect and it rings like a piano. :rock:

59lp2.jpg

CHOICE!!! what pickups????

Brad, that is one nice plank of Mahogany!

I have an 2003 R7 Goldtop which is smooth.

I liked my Gothic les paul with 498t in the bridge is alot cheaper, but my favorite if I had to choose one.

A Black Beauty is looking tempting right now! :rock:

I have 3 Pauls... '76 black custom, '77 natural custom with a 3 piece maple neck. I replaced the de-laminating maple fret board with ebony. It's my work horse (3-4 nights a week). But I bought a '99 re-issue of the '59. I had my choice of 7 of them at the store where we sold the shit out of some '59's. I just always came back to a light, resonant plain top. It is by far the best guitar I have played. I've since matched the p'ups with the burstbuckers in my natural. It sounds great but not like the '59. Something about a mahogany neck I think that gives it that extra Mojo. BTW, my '76 custom has a 3 piece maple neck that has twisted. Any suggestions on a remedy.

70s custom was the best one I've played, brownburst.
Once had a standard from recent years of production in my hands, awesome guitar, which is weird because I more often than not can't stand their new models.
3 Edwards I really liked, still have 2 of them.

I have a 68 RI VOS that is killer. I never liked LP's much, but got the bug and picked one up off the forum here. It was killer when I got it, but I slapped some WCR's in it and it got even better. Took it to my tech to tweak the bridge, nut, and do his setup magic and now it's one of the top 3 nicest sounding & playing axes I've owned or played.

Jay Strange":1dybxkst said:
rareguitar":1dybxkst said:

59lp2.jpg

CHOICE!!! what pickups????

It has real PAFs in it.

racerevlon":2yoy1v5g said:
fek":2yoy1v5g said:
2010 Trad Pro Wine Red. My gf bought me a 2009 Trad Pro in vintage sunburst about 4 months prior and when I saw that they were releasing 100 in wine red (my fave LP color) I was pissed because I would have waited if I knew. I showed her the GC ad and forgot about it so that it wouldn't haunt me.

One day she said "let's go to GC so I can see that LP." Which was very odd because she hates GC. I told her that they would not have one because only 100 were made and blah, blah, blah... We go anyway. Walk in and there is one with a sold tag hanging on the wall. It was glorious!

My gf worked with the GC guys for weeks to track one down and bought it for me. She taunted me for about 10 minutes while we walked around the store before she said "We can't leave without your guitar." I almost fell over in the store. I didn't even notice my name on the sold tag.

Pickguard came off.
SANY0288.jpg

THAT WOMAN'S A KEEPER!!

:rock:

100% Agreed

My favorite Les Pauls have been the following:

2007 R7 Goldtop
2006 Heritage H150-CM (I know not a Gibson)
2009 Gibson Studio Deluxe
2010 Gibson Studio Worn Brown

....in that order.

I originally started with a Les Paul when I was a kid... Then got out of playing... Too interested in Cars, Motorcycles, and Racing them.

When I picked up the Guitar again, I decided I didn't want a Les Paul... Too Heavy, To hard to access the lower fret area, too bulky etc...

SO I bought EVERYTHING BUT... PRS, Strat, Charvel's, Carvin, BC Rich, EB Music Man, Etc I did buy One Les Paul Custom Classic in Silverburst
cause I always wanted one... When they came out I think 81' ? I went nuts over it... It's nice, Binding, Ebony board, Really Sweet w/60's neck
but never pick it up much.

THEN... I played this one little Black Ebony LP at Guitar Center... Altough it had 10's on it, and was not set up like I like... There was just something
about it... I had to go back and keep playing it... Then I realized how resonant it was! It had a Slim 60's Neck like I like, and it just sounded Sooooooo
Good! So I bought it... I put 9's on it, tweaked the neck, and lowered the action down... And OMG! Very low, and no buzz... Not like any LP I've played.
Plecked Neck I found out... It's the Les Paul Traditional Pro, And It instantly became my Soul Mate. It's just me... Nothing sounds like it, or plays like it.
I even love the stock Burst Bucker III in the Bridge... Man it's got that tone... tried switching it with a WCR Godwood and a couple of others, cause they
Were supposed to be the end all Les Paul pickups... and they all sucked! So I'm right back to Stock... It just sounds Great, this LP has so much resonance you
can feel it in your hand when you hit even 1 string... It's just OOOZES John Sykes 87' Whitesnake! :yes:

So it's ironic that I searched and searched for the guitar that would do it for me and with a dozen bought none of them did... Then the one guitar that I
had my mind made up I didn't want turned out to be the one, go figure :doh: I just feel comfortable with it... Like.. "Yea, This Is Me".. This Is What I'm Supposed To Be Playing".

Now I got my eye on a Black Beauty Custom 60's Reissue... Very pricey but worth it :thumbsup:

Best,

Roid RAGE
lp_trad_pro.jpg

LP_CCEM.jpg

Here's my #1, she's an 04 standard w/50's neck profile. Burstbucker Pro/neck, Wolfetone Marshallhead/bridge.

Attachments

• IMG_0500.jpg
    IMG_0500.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 1,196
RockStarNick":pj60af9z said:
I found my 2001 LP Standard Plus at Guitar Center. Back in the day when A. Gibson didn't price fix everything, and B. You could haggle the GC reps down by showing them a website, and they would price match it.

I got it for well under 2K. Close to 1800, and I had them throw in a free fret dress and level, because it was fretting out like crazy.

Love this guitar. This is an old picture - I've since changed the buckers and put on some amber dome knobs, but the flame on this thing is amazing.

web.jpg

Nick, that is gorgeous!

RockStarNick":1v5ue3p0 said:
tonmazz":1v5ue3p0 said:
RockStarNick":1v5ue3p0 said:
I found my 2001 LP Standard Plus at Guitar Center. Back in the day when A. Gibson didn't price fix everything, and B. You could haggle the GC reps down by showing them a website, and they would price match it.

I got it for well under 2K. Close to 1800, and I had them throw in a free fret dress and level, because it was fretting out like crazy.

Love this guitar. This is an old picture - I've since changed the buckers and put on some amber dome knobs, but the flame on this thing is amazing.

That thing is beautiful!! :rock:

Thanks Tomazz. It sounds as good as it looks too. :LOL: :LOL:

I think I got a deal on it because there is a slight dimple in the wood, right by the center seam, inbetween the pickups. Looks as if someone dropped a marble on it, if that makes any sense. But I really don't care. You can barely see it when it's polished up.

Some nice lookin' LP's on this thread!
There are a lot of nice ones in this thread. My GC never has anything good. I always read about guys scoring these great Les pauls from GC. We have crap at the GC in Northeast PA.

Back