Tone chasing is exhausting

• Thread starter Deleted member 23705
  • Start date
As much as I love a tubed rig, the Kemper is one handy little box. After going through assload of gear over the years, I thought... "If I ever convert to a digital rig, the Kemper is it."

^^^^This.

Late to the party - but I gotta put my $0.02 in... I've had the "luxury" over the years to buy whatever gear I fancied at the time - but then this led to more time pondering gear than playing it. Over 10 years later I ended up back with the same gear I pretty much started with - lesson learned (this was quite some time ago).

But the biggest lesson I've learned over the recent past with recording and also having the privilege to be guided by some top-drawer professional musicians and industry folk; just GET "a" tone and be able to work that tone from your guitar as best as possible - screw the fiddling with the amp - screw the stomps - screw it all - cuz when the red light's on - you need the most versatile and malleable tone "at your fingers" and not somewhere at the cords end or in a loop or on the ground or...you get my drift. I also realized during this very cool period of growth and musical maturity that I'm using ONE guitar (R9 Yamano) for pretty much anything/everything; with the 2nd in line a P90 equipped fiddle (R6). Of all the Lesters, all the ESPs, so many fiddles - nope!!!! ONE guitar, ONE tone - and man, have I ramped up in the "time spent working through songs, making music, session work, etc" versus "staring at knobs" and "in the room versus on the DAW" tail-chasing. Those volume and tone knobs on a Lester aren't cemented on 10 for a reason...therein lies "let my fingers do the tweaking" zone. And oh ya (EDIT:)) - I've had zero GAS for years now - can't even be bothered to browse... For me it's strings, plectrums, and tubes when the burn out, and on the topic of tubes?? Just get whatever works and sounds good - price isn't always the determining factor here.

It's all I got. Hope it helps??
Rock on :rock:
I was there for several years. Now the GAS is back and I'm back to whorin.

I will say this... the better you play, the more you can make any tone (any amp) sound pretty decent, and you stop chasing the tone. You get a sound you like, and you just go for it. You take any veteran guitar player, and you will find they stick with the same gear, as opposed to constantly trying all types of gear. Consequently, when something sounds good to you, then keep working with it, and your style/individuality, and go from there.

Back