Tone chasing is exhausting

• Thread starter Deleted member 23705
  • Start date
Another thing I find inspiring is to play at volume. There is an energy that accompanies volume. That energy can take you many places and usually some good riffs are down those trails along with the joy of simply playing guitar. The best thing you can do sometimes is get off the internet, stay away from forums and the classifieds. Play your guitar and make music.

50 almost 51 years old and I have been chasing tone since I was 12. Now that I am fortunate to own some of the best gear on the planet, I find that having money just opens the door to bigger rabbit holes and in the end it is just me. One day I will hate the tone and the next day I will love it. Vicious circle.

Call me lucky. Sure I've chased tone, but I've always had good tone and an ear for getting it. Got my first Marshall Super Lead at age 18. A few months later got a 67 plexi. Right there is the tone of the gods. Used them with echoplex and or space echos out front along with a tube screamer and DOD preamp 250. 10 years later I was on HC then RT. Bought a bunch of amps, but still had my Marshalls. Sold most amps, but still have my Marshalls. In 2010 I got a Cameron CCV and that got me through to this year (11 years) and can say the CCV is likely the best amp I've ever owned.

I will mention that I rarely take someone's word on something. I need to hear, play and feel it for myself. I tinker with everything. It's a curse and a reason why I wont mod amps for people. I constantly have to tinker and try something new/different.

One big thing I got was an AxeFx III. I like it, although I've only just touched the surface of what it can do...

In 2010 I got a Cameron CCV and that got me through to this year (11 years) and can say the CCV is likely the best amp I've ever owned.
Let me know if you ever feel like letting that CCV go :sneaky:

I stopped amp chasing as soon as I got my first Larry 🤷‍♂️

Most of the "chase" was trying to get less expensive, more available amps to sound LIKE a Larry though, so YMMV.

As far as other gear goes though, nah. Haven't really had that experience. I like Gibson scale and Gibson style guitars, and Jim Wagner godwoods 🤷‍♂️ as soon as I figure out stuff that works i stick with it.

It's fun to try new stuff for sure but for me personally it's mostly a waste of cash and energy. There's plenty of bog standard gear that will 100% get the job done
THIS. I sold off all my unobtanium, special-sauce stuff and just focus on the "standard issue" stuff that's easy to find and replace if something goes wrong.

I just wish I'd held onto the unobtainium stuff until this year, when I could have made bank selling it off.

Too late. I sold it in March. 😉
Wow!!! Never thought you would ever do that. I know how much you love Mark's stuff. But in all honesty, your stock JMP2203 is nasty sounding and gets pretty damn close to that Cameron sound when boosted strange enough. You definitely have good a great ear for that grail old school hot rodded Marshall tone. I've found greenbacks and H30's to always get me more than halfway there with the amps I own and try out.

lol. I’m a Wizard pusher no doubt! You won’t regret it! Killer amp!
I'm pretty much already sold and have my mind set on the MCII. Is there another model I should consider? I'm looking for something more on the vintage sound side but can also get modern as in tight bass response.

I'm pretty much already sold and have my mind set on the MCII. Is there another model I should consider? I'm looking for something more on the vintage sound side but can also get modern as in tight bass response.

you‘re on the right track if that’s what you’re looking for. That’s what I’d recommend if you want more vintage. The MC2 is super tight and a boost in front will give you a more modern metal tone.

Call me lucky. Sure I've chased tone, but I've always had good tone and an ear for getting it. Got my first Marshall Super Lead at age 18. A few months later got a 67 plexi. Right there is the tone of the gods. Used them with echoplex and or space echos out front along with a tube screamer and DOD preamp 250. 10 years later I was on HC then RT. Bought a bunch of amps, but still had my Marshalls. Sold most amps, but still have my Marshalls. In 2010 I got a Cameron CCV and that got me through to this year (11 years) and can say the CCV is likely the best amp I've ever owned.

I will mention that I rarely take someone's word on something. I need to hear, play and feel it for myself. I tinker with everything. It's a curse and a reason why I wont mod amps for people. I constantly have to tinker and try something new/different.

One big thing I got was an AxeFx III. I like it, although I've only just touched the surface of what it can do...
Lots of THIS. After all the stock and modded JMPs and 800s, Jubilees I finally bought a totally stock early 70s SuperTremolo. I've owned a few similar JMPs but every one had a MV mod. Honestly, I wish I had bought one totally stock YEARS ago....I would have saved a ton of cash. None of the stock or modded 800s, or modded JMPs (I've had over 50 at this point by most of the known Marshall modders) can touch this 72' tone with just a couple pedals (cheap, less than 100 bucks for both) in front. Not even the Wizard MCI I had sounds as good as this Marshall, for what I like anyway. Now I know why guys loved using these amps with just a pedal or two, cranked. Tone of the Gods.
My desert Island amp, over anything I've owned including Wizards, C+, Camerons, Triple F, Naylor, SLO, anything.
It's the one that will remain if I decide to sell most of my gear.

Last edited:
Back