Tone Vise Pitch Shifter - Move Over D-Tuna??

scottosan":1fc5usad said:
Metlupass2":1fc5usad said:
Ran into an issue with my non recessed Floyd Rose.

Mine has a metal shim under the fine tuner tension plate. Whenever I drop it to D the tension plate pushes into the shim causing the bridge to be pulled back and therefore causes the strings to all go sharp.

Have you ever run into this?

Here is it. I pushed the bar down so it's visible....no its not setup that way!

floyd_map.jpg
I thought in order for this to work your bridge cannot be floating so if it can pull back with less string tension, then that tells me it is floating, no?

He mentioned he pushed the bar down for picture purposes, it is noy setup that way as it would never work.

7 Stringer":1y4qa7sm said:
scottosan":1y4qa7sm said:
Metlupass2":1y4qa7sm said:

Mine has a metal shim under the fine tuner tension plate. Whenever I drop it to D the tension plate pushes into the shim causing the bridge to be pulled back and therefore causes the strings to all go sharp.

floyd_map.jpg
I thought in order for this to work your bridge cannot be floating so if it can pull back with less string tension, then that tells me it is floating, no?

He mentioned he pushed the bar down for picture purposes, it is noy setup that way as it would never work.

:doh:

7 Stringer":qzoarztr said:
scottosan":qzoarztr said:
Metlupass2":qzoarztr said:

floyd_map.jpg

I got that. If the shim was pushing against the body
making the bridge go away from the body, the strings would go flat. If lessening tension on the e causes strings to go sharp, there is still some play causing the bridge to pull closer to the body

Tone Vise":3p32q06m said:
Can you adjust your fine tuner up enough to where it's not protruding from beneath the whale tail at all? If part of it is showing then your string will be sharp.

Yeah the fine tuner is backed out as far it will go. I’ve tried backing out the A fine tuner as well. Again, the D is still sharp. The Floyd is stable as well.

Emg77":32jos42v said:
Tone Vise":32jos42v said:
Can you adjust your fine tuner up enough to where it's not protruding from beneath the whale tail at all? If part of it is showing then your string will be sharp.

Yeah the fine tuner is backed out as far it will go. I’ve tried backing out the A fine tuner as well. Again, the D is still sharp. The Floyd is stable as well.

If the E is in tune, drop the shifter in the D position and then adjust the fine tuner to fine tune to D. Switch back and forth and they should both be in tune.

Just did mine and it works perfectly.

The trem is blocked too far down i know, been like that for years. I will make a thicker shim. Someday.....lol

scottosan":18eazd8v said:
7 Stringer":18eazd8v said:
scottosan":18eazd8v said:
Metlupass2":18eazd8v said:

floyd_map.jpg

making the bridge go away from the body, the strings would go flat. If lessening tension on the e causes strings to go sharp, there is still some play causing the bridge to pull closer to the body

I dont really get it. If there is play when going up to E, the springs need to be tightened. When the trem is sitting on the body, even if playing with string tension, nothing should be going sharp or flat. It is basicly a fixed bridge. If so, back springs needs more tension.

7 Stringer":19pefb43 said:
scottosan":19pefb43 said:
7 Stringer":19pefb43 said:
scottosan":19pefb43 said:
Metlupass2":19pefb43 said:

floyd_map.jpg

I dont really get it. If there is play when going up to E, the springs need to be tightened. When the trem is sitting on the body, even if playing with string tension, nothing should be going sharp or flat. It is basicly a fixed bridge. If so, back springs needs more tension.
He said the strings go sharp when dropping to D. So like I stated there is still float. Tightening the springs should resolve this. Was I making a point otherwise?

scottosan":1zxspcs0 said:
7 Stringer":1zxspcs0 said:
7 Stringer":1zxspcs0 said:
Metlupass2":1zxspcs0 said:

floyd_map.jpg

He said the strings go sharp when dropping to D. So like I stated there is still float. Tightening the springs should resolve this. Was I making a point otherwise?

Missed it then. Did not see your response about tightening the springs.

No sweat.

7 Stringer":36ija8h8 said:
Emg77":36ija8h8 said:
Tone Vise":36ija8h8 said:

If the E is in tune, drop the shifter in the D position and then adjust the fine tuner to fine tune to D. Switch back and forth and they should both be in tune.

The only adjustment with fine tuner available is to sharpen the D not flatten it. That’s the problem.

Emg77":2sra6j99 said:
7 Stringer":2sra6j99 said:
Emg77":2sra6j99 said:
Tone Vise":2sra6j99 said:

The only adjustment with fine tuner available is to sharpen the D not flatten it. That’s the problem.

??? Why would that be? I can flat or raise my D with no problem? Why cant you?

Mine is installed on an Edge, maybe they work differently?

7 Stringer":3312ub13 said:
Emg77":3312ub13 said:
7 Stringer":3312ub13 said:
Emg77":3312ub13 said:
Tone Vise":3312ub13 said:

With the E engaged the fine tuner is backed all the way out. So, I don’t remember how the edge operates but the only adjustment would be to sharpen the note by tightening the fine tuner.

Emg77":25xstg9u said:
7 Stringer":25xstg9u said:
7 Stringer":25xstg9u said:
Tone Vise":25xstg9u said:

With the E engaged the fine tuner is backed all the way out. So, I don’t remember how the edge operates but the only adjustment would be to sharpen the note by tightening the fine tuner.

I posted a pic couple posts up, the fine tuner works just like normal on mine, when in E the fine tuner is not touching the bolt but in D is like normal.

Anyways, it works great on the Edge so far.

7 Stringer":1nubcsxe said:
Emg77":1nubcsxe said:
7 Stringer":1nubcsxe said:
Emg77":1nubcsxe said:
Tone Vise":1nubcsxe said:

same here. As long as my E is at pitch, when I drop to D I can tune up or down.

What happens when you make a tuning adjustment in D and go back to E? If the fine tuner has to be all the way out when tuning the E what happens when it's protruding if you have to make an adjustment in D?

Dave Simpson":2fluove2 said:
What happens when you make a tuning adjustment in D and go back to E? If the fine tuner has to be all the way out when tuning the E what happens when it's protruding if you have to make an adjustment in D?

I have it set so that it doesn't touch the screw when in E. As long as your trem is stable and maintains pitch when in E, it won't be a problem.

Installed it today on my Kramer SM-1 (had to wait to get the trem stop in).
Works like a charm!

Attachments

• Kramer w Tone Vise.jpg
    Kramer w Tone Vise.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 1,097
Back