ToneNerd Hand Wound High Output Pickups

scottosan

***this batch has filled up***. I’ll let you know when I get more parts in. If you PM’d for the current batch, I will be in touch and should be able to get these done in about a week.

I will have parts in by end of week to do 6 pickups. Check out new Roxy/Les Paul recording down in the thread. There’s a limit in a single post.

They are all the same output. Output is determined by number of winds not resistance. Since the standard spaced is shorted, you achieve the same number of winds at a lower resistance. Holiday special and introductory pricing is $** shipped. I am offering a money back, no questions asked if you don’t like it and I’ll cover return shipping.

This pickup is the the “Roxy” and is the successor my “Sunset Strip”. I was tasked with coming up with a pickup similar in spec with the JB, but without the honey key mid bump. A few people here can vouch for the pickup model, @LPMojoGL and @Junk Yard Dog It’s 44awg SPN wire, wood spacers, 1018 screws, 1215 slugs. I’m this pickup screams with clarity with spikey frequencies. A little more low end than the Sunset Strip, but nice and tight with balanced mids and high end. It’s great in both bolt on and Les Paul type guitars.

While I don’t have many clips of this pickup yet, I will have some very soon.

Last edited:
I will be making a few “sunset strip” 14.4K/A5 and “Wicked 8” 13.9k/A8 over the next day or 2 at the same deal. If interested, let me know and I can do customize the bobbin colors, spacing and conductor preferences.

Sunset strip

Wicked 8

Quick A/B of the JB vs Roxy in the same guitar. LPMojoGL recorded the JB swapped the Roxy and used the same settings only the pickup changes. The Roxy is clear and harmonics are effortless. Some marshal comparisons coming.

Last edited:
I popped the 17K "Roxy" into an alder(roasted) bodied Charvel style HH with a Floyd. It replaced a JB with an A2 mag.
Before the swap, the guitar was very middy, noticeably lacking any low end compared to other guitars.
Now it sounds pretty even with my Suhr Moder Satin Flame, that has mahogany body with maple top, and a SSH+ bridge pup.

The 14k "Sunset Strip" transformed my Squier HSS 70s Classic Vibe. The stock bridge pup was almost single coil like. It was fine for matching the single coils and classic rock stuff. The SS beefed it up, so now it's as mean as any of my other guitars. It's so cool now, with the 60s style single coils Scott wound, and the bridge pup, I can go from Pink Floyd type stuff to 90s grunge/hard rock and beyond.

All of these pups have clarity, great attack and an airy, open sound. No dull, lifeless mud here.
I can't imagine anyone is going to be disappointed in these pickups.

Thanks everyone for giving these a chance, I appreciate it. 2 sent today, the rest tomorrow. Please, if for any reason you’re not happy, I’ll pay return shipping and refund your money. I understand I am a new market offering and my prices reflect the use of quality parts, wires, and magnets. These are labor intensive, so it makes sense for me to do these in batches. For those that placed separate orders I plan on doing a batch a week and will not invoice you until they are ready to ship. Hit me up with any questions and I’ll be totally transparent about my parts, methods, strengths and weakness. Again, much thanks. I’ll list more as I can spin batches to keep the prices low.

I'm so happy I tried the Roxy in my Les Paul.

It sounds absolutely phenomenal, which I hope I've been able to get across with the demos.

It's rich in the lows, and a little less nose-y than the sunset strip, and for whatever reason it just came alive in that guitar, with my main rig.

(Gratuitous pic+ comment to bump thread)
PXL_20211206_031429362.jpg

Throwing the Wicked 8 in a Fender with a floyd, probably try the Roxy and Subset in something similar.
The wicked 8 will be a wall sound. It’s hard to describe. While being close to 14k, it’s got more output than the Sunset and Roxy. Cleans are okay depending on your pick attack but the pickup really pushes the front end of an amp. The Sunset is great for hot open tones with good harmonics. The Roxy is turns it up a notch in the low end yet retains air of the clarity of the Sunset Strip

I'm so happy I tried the Roxy in my Les Paul.

It sounds absolutely phenomenal, which I hope I've been able to get across with the demos.

It's rich in the lows, and a little less nose-y than the sunset strip, and for whatever reason it just came alive in that guitar, with my main rig.

(Gratuitous pic+ comment to bump thread)
View attachment 97127
Let me know if that LP ever needs a new home.
I have a Silverburst SG to keep it company. :)
Your clips are killer.

Back