Tremonti or Aldrich (PRS content)

Beret

I have a very beautiful and wonderful sounding PRS SC-58. That being said, for what I use it for, I don't think the 57/08s have quite enough. I love the 57/08s in my Hollowbody II but I think I'm looking for something more in my single cut.

I'm looking for opinions on whether to go Tremonti pickups or Aldrichs. I have Aldrichs in my mahogany Suhr Modern and they rock. Part of me would like to stay "PRS stock" on the SC and put Tremonti pickups in it. I haven't played them though, only heard them online (and of course on records).

If it helps, here's a pic to hopefully help solicit input. Thoughts on which way to go? :)

~B

top.jpg

i have never heard the Aldrichs, but i had the Tremonti's in a few of my guitars at one point a few years ago. a tremonti se, a santana se and a standard 24. super, super hot pickups, very clear and they cut like crazy. depends what you're looking for soundwise, i thought they were great for lead stuff, think like the new alterbridge lead tones. i ended up selling all the prs's i had and getting gibson and epiphone because it better suited my amp and sound.

just my 2 cents, hope it helps!

I'm assuming you play hard rock/metal. I had 57/08s in my 25th anniv. Cu 24 and swapped them out for a Bare Knuckle Ceramic Nailbomb bridge and Cold Sweat neck. Unbelievable crunch, clarity and OOPMH. Highhly recommended from me, well above the pickups you mentioned.

-C

I hag an Aldrich in this Single Cut
Untitled6-2.jpg

And thought it flat out rocked in that guitar......from lead work to Ry. it sounded good.

Ive heard lots of good stuff about the Tremonti pickups I just have never had a chance to try them in anything......Good luck on your search!!!!

Hmmm... glad I clicked on this thread. I've been a Tremonti fan for years, but for some reason never knew that he had his own pickups. LOVE his tones. I may have a try a pair in one of my Eclipses.

I've had both in a McCarty, I liked the Aldrich a lot, but the Tremonti is clearer under heavy gain, and is more percussive, it cuts a little better, and is less compressed than the Aldrich (more open) Its not quite as hot either. I just put another one in my Modern Eagle
Ended up staying with the Tremonti, but you cant go wrong with either one. The Aldrich is a great pup
I much prefer a PRS RP in the neck, I have one that came in the Modern Eagle, it is an amazing neck pup, and splits well too

I own both, and have had them in several guitars. I've taken out all of the Aldriches.

The Tremonti bridge pickup is the clearest sounding high output pickup I've ever played. All others have gotten muddy as I ratcheted up the gain (including the Aldriches). They are great. They also come stock in the bridge position of the SC250 (under the SC250 pickup name).

Also, the Tremonti neck pickup is the PRS Dragon I neck, and it's one of their best neck pickups, too.

Old post...

I have a PRS SC250 that slays and now my LP Standard with aldrich isn't keeping up.
I hear lots of guys on YouTube and on the net do live and recorded clips with the Aldrich for metal and it sounds awesome...
But if the Tremonti is clearer and cuts better under gain, I'll swap out the Aldrich.
I will say that my PRS SC is monstrous.

Old post...

I have a PRS SC250 that slays and now my LP Standard with aldrich isn't keeping up.
I hear lots of guys on YouTube and on the net do live and recorded clips with the Aldrich for metal and it sounds awesome...
But if the Tremonti is clearer and cuts better under gain, I'll swap out the Aldrich.
I will say that my PRS SC is monstrous.
Isn’t the Tremonti ceramic?

I own both, and have had them in several guitars. I've taken out all of the Aldriches.

The Tremonti bridge pickup is the clearest sounding high output pickup I've ever played. All others have gotten muddy as I ratcheted up the gain (including the Aldriches). They are great. They also come stock in the bridge position of the SC250 (under the SC250 pickup name).

Also, the Tremonti neck pickup is the PRS Dragon I neck, and it's one of their best neck pickups, too.
They are great sounding pickups. Oddly enough when I got my first Tremonti II I went through alot of different bridge pickups only to end up with the stock pup back in the bridge...then scratching my head why the hell I ever wanted to change it in the first place. Love it. Both my Tremonti II's, bone stock.

I've used both and I prefer the Tremonti. Big, beefy, great chugs and nice singing lead tones. They are both great pick ups though.

I prefer the Tremonti. It's the only PRS pickup I like besides the Dragons
Yes, oddly my favorite pickups are both ceramic in the PRS Tremonti and SC250, plus the original Dragons that I have in my 1994 CE22.

I would love to try the WCR Ironman.

Back