Twin Jet Tubes?

locoed

Right now there's stock Chinese KT-88's and I think their old,the lowend is floppy,so I'm looking for something that's going to tighten it up,I'm a little confused because one cats says EL-34's are the way to go,and another says KT-88's are the ones.
So what's the tube that'll give me the tight smooth sound I've been hearing on some clips I've heard? Mainly I play "Prog" like "Tool" "Meshuggah" etc.
Loose ain't cutt'n the mustard.

Preamp tubes aren't going to make as big of difference as the power tubes, but I'd try Tungsols and JJ preamp tubes in various positions and see what you like. Just swap them one at a time, paying attention to V1, V2, and V3. Watch the Tungsols because they tend to burn out pretty quickly in Uberschalls.

Also try biasing the tubes a little hotter, it will lessen the bass response somewhat. You can also try boosting the amp with a Tube Screamer or some other overdrive pedal.

EL34's are going to compress and sag at pretty low volumes in the TJ and aren't your best bet for djenty, fast riffing. KT88's have glassy highs that people often complain about and a low end that's somewhat extended. 6550's are the best tube that I've tried in the TJ (I've tried them all) for really tight riffs, and personally my favorite tube type in the TJ.

Thanks for the info,i'm guessing the EL-34's open up at louder volumes? I have 34's in my Rev 1 Uberschall and love the mids it gets,and it's tighter than this TJ. I'm in search of tight dark tones,than the typical Uber mid,loose sound.

You could also try JJ KT88s. Their low end is somewhat compressed. If your Rev 1 is tighter than your TJ, there's definitely something wrong with the tubes!

Actually.i just told Laura it was badass at 11:00,cracked it open a little and it came to life,however it DOES need tubes.
What transformers are in it?

I'm using Shuguang 6550 in my TJ and, believe it or not, they sound like a fantastic upgrade over the stock Sovtek KT88 the amp came loaded with... :rock:

Back