Unpopular Rigpinions V2

Wanna watch me clean the output jack?
I do.

I loved recording using analog because it was so simple. All the digital computer stuff is too complicated for old fucks like me who can just barely manage an online presence on a forum and won't join Facebook/Instagram/whatever. I'm not going to spend years of my time learning and mastering all these plug-ins and programs....I have work to do. I'm going to buy an old 4 track porta studio and bust out the old drum machines and write and record thrash riffs and never post them anywhere because I don't need internet cred. Fuck you all for leaving me in the technological dust. (Flipping you all off while kicking the ground, turning around and walking away muttering under my breath)

Last edited:
Hate to admit it, but I agree. Guys that constantly flip guitars and amps over and over...I chalk it up to "I'm unhappy with my playing and searching for a magical fix". How can you trust someones opinion on gear when they come in saying how their new guitar and amp is SO AMAZING, and predictibly trade it 2 weeks later.
Totally.

Maybe what they enjoy is actually the delayed gratification of buying something expensive/collectable online. Guitar playing is a by-product of the process.

I just have one.

Guitar players in general believe in all kinds of ridiculous unscientific bullshit to justify spending more money on gear.
This is a strange phenomenon.

For example a friend I know is a valve snake-oil kind of guy. Is constantly changing his tubes.
Even when presented with peer-reviewed, scientific null tests.... proving different tubes don't change tone... he still is in denail.
I even swapped Pre JJs and Mulards in a Marshall JVT, recorded with a loop pedal, flipped the phase so there was silence..... still denail!!!

This is a strange phenomenon.

For example a friend I know is a valve snake-oil kind of guy. Is constantly changing his tubes.
Even when presented with peer-reviewed, scientific null tests.... proving different tubes don't change tone... he still is in denail.
I even swapped Pre JJs and Mulards in a Marshall JVT, recorded with a loop pedal, flipped the phase so there was silence..... still denail!!!

I feel the same way about people who constantly swap tubes as I do about people who constantly flip gear :LOL:

There is no good or bad tone there are only preferred tones...

Riffs are cooler than leads

Most guitars that "crush any gibson or fender out there" get re-sold/traded long before most gibsons and fenders out there

I am not interested in Lynch, Martini, Downing/Tipton, Smith/Murray etc. - Brian Setzer is better than all of them and is the ultimate shredder, Paul Gilbert is pretty awesome though...

I don't like neck through guitars

Bolts and threaded inserts "sound" better than wood screws

Picks greater than 1mm are too thick

11s sound better

Nickelback has a song I enjoy

Last edited:
Oh boy, so many:

-the Fortin modded Maxon sounds better than any other boost made except the original klons. Only good thing Fortin has come out with

-guitars should be judged at least 99% for tone rather than playability, looks, fretwork, etc. It’s a musical instrument in case others forgot

-Judging on tone, Suhr and Tom Anderson guitars sound quite bad. Very sterile. Same with PRS

-Mayones guitars also don’t sound great. Sterile like furniture with strings attached

-Poly finish on any guitar over $1500 guitar should be totally unacceptable

-Ebony fretboards are way overrated. They can be good but rosewood often sounds better. “Oh wow it has an Ebony board it must be a better guitar”

-Wizard and Fryette amps, although they sound great overall, both have an inherent hollow quality that I don’t like

-Splawn amps sound bad

-Omega and Driftwood amps sound meh and generic

-EVH’s tone would’ve been 1000x better without all that stupid reverb, delay and other modulation crap

-Most guys also ruin their clips with that stupid reverb. Shouldn’t be used

-The tone on the first 2 Metallica albums sounded like a bloated mess. Maybe why they took a total 180 in tone for MOP

I just have one.

Guitar players in general believe in all kinds of ridiculous unscientific bullshit to justify spending more money on gear.

I completely agree. At the same time, I also think there's a psycho-sematic element to playing, so if someone is convinced they sound better with one thing, they'll actually play better and therefore sound better. However, it's not some kind of objective, universal truth. I see this so much with amp discussions around here: some amp isn't able to do X....which mostly tells me the limitation of the poster on a lot of amps, not the amp itself.

I completely agree. At the same time, I also think there's a psycho-sematic element to playing, so if someone is convinced they sound better with one thing, they'll actually play better and therefore sound better. However, it's not some kind of objective, universal truth. I see this so much with amp discussions around here: some amp isn't able to do X....which mostly tells me the limitation of the poster on a lot of amps, not the amp itself.
Its all subjective, if you think it is, it is...

I do.

I loved recording using analog because it was so simple. All the digital computer stuff is too complicated for old fucks like me who can just barely manage an online presence on a forum and won't join Facebook/Instagram/whatever. I'm not going to spend years of my time learning and mastering all these plug-ins and programs....I have work to do. I'm going to buy an old 4 track porta studio and bust out the old drum machines and write and record thrash riffs and never post them anywhere because I don't need internet cred. Fuck you all for leaving me in the technological dust. (Flipping you all off while kicking the ground, turning around and walking away muttering under my breath)
Interesting! (and funny!)

I'm 30, and I teach Protools to people double my age sometimes. Some have a chip on their shoulder and invest all their time in being a "victim" of technological advances. These students take AGES to train, they fold their arms anytime something goes wrong. They instantly getting upset when a younger student is faster at doing a task. But at the same time, I trained a 67 year old in 8 hours, and they now run their own VO out of their house.

The only variable was work ethic. "It's not the strongets animal that survives, it's the most adaptable to change"

Totally.

Maybe what they enjoy is actually the delayed gratification of buying something expensive/collectable online. Guitar playing is a by-product of the process.
It is a proven scientific fact that purchasing (or trading for) something new (or new to you) produces elevated dopamine levels that peak right before you actually receive the new item.

I fully embrace this concept. I really don't ever NEED to buy any new gear. I do it partially to try out stuff that I've been curious about, and partially for that sweet, sweet dopamine.

It does absolutely no good when you do a gear demo by putting a popular boost pedal (that everyone is using) in front of the amp and then run it directly into a popular IR (that everyone is using). When you do this, you sound 95% the same as everyone else, and oftentimes make your billion dollar tube amp sound like a digital modeler.

I’d rather have an iPhone clip in the room (boost optional).

1. No, your boss katana does not hang with tube amps. Expensive gear is expensive for a reason. It only "doesn't make a difference" if you aren't very good. Yes, a decent player can make anything sound decent - but an amazing amp/guitar/whatever can make a decent player sound amazing.

2. Tone is not in the fingers, technique is. By definition, when anyone says tone, what they mean is "the sound of the gear irrespective of the nuances of various players technique." Otherwise we would never have any references for sounds.

3. Tonewoods can and do matter.... sometimes. Of course it doesn't matter which 500$ plank you put emgs in - it's going to sound like the emgs. But just because you can't hear the difference between a Harley Benton singlecut and a Nik Huber Orca with the same pickups doesn't mean others can't.

4. Don't pretend you're an expert (like say, at recording) if you aren't. Don't pretend you're amazing at guitar if youre not. You will eventually get caught. You'll go much further (and get more out of RT) if you're honest, humble, and willing to both learn and share your experiences.

5. Never trust YouTube shills when it comes to tones or gear - anyone who's spent anytime in a/v production knows how easy it is to make a bad sounding product sound great.

Back