Unpopular Rigpinions V2

ghosty999

We all have them! Let's hear them for the second time round...

List a few things you know aren't popular opinions regarding rigs/gear/bands. Be as brutally honest and spicy as you'd like.

1. Tone is in the speakers and the pickups.
2. Dimebags tone sucks. The fizzy SS sound shredding petatonics never appealed to me. The tone sounds like he was compensating for years of hearing damage.
3. If you have a fake 6k+ epic guitar rig on stage, but secretly use a POD HD live, people will listen with their eyes and still compliment your tone.
4. Overdrive gain before an amp can ruin an amps character (but level is usually okay)
5. Amp plugins suck, the tiny bit of latency makes it impossible to use compared to a modeler or real amp. The high end alway sounds like static.

Your turn!

On your 3, most people that are into music care far less about your tone than you. The drunk cougar with sun damaged skin and the bat wings under her arms wanting to be your groupie knows nothing about tone

On your 4, there’s plenty of classic examples to disprove this.

Last edited:
On your 3, most people that are into music care far less about your tone than you. The drunk cougar with sun damaged skin and the bat wings under her arms wanting to be your groups knows nothing about tone

On your 4, there’s plenty of classic examples to disprove this.
Haha true.

On 4, I'm sure there is, (most boosted plexi/800 tones), however personally, too much pedal diode clipping before the amp, can limit how the amp organically reacts to the input.

Most clips posted with IR's sound like shit.

Jake E. Lee is overrated.

Charvels, (MIM) are overrated garbage, and are only good as firewood.

EVH amps are sterile and overrated.

Jerry Cantrell is overrated.

Slash's tone does nothing for me, nor does his playing. Overrated dirtbag that needs a bath and a haircut. And lose that stupid fucking hat. Gibson Ambassador? What a joke. Jimmy Page would have been the wiser choice.

Guys that post their 20 high end amps in their signature are compensating for not being loved as a child and are probably secretly queer as a 3 dollar bill. Then we hear "excuse the sloppy playing" when they post clips.

Last edited:
I'm ready for my lynching.
1. Almost every lunchbox amp sounds thin and weak.
2. Synergy modules sound the same, if not worst.
3. Nueral DSP plugins are overpriced and overrated, and their relentless marketing is annoying.
4. Amplitube sounds like trash.
5. IRs are not equal to a mic and a cab.
6. Two Notes load boxes sound terrible. The Boss, Suhr, and Fryette load boxes sound fine.
7. 8ohm V30s sound better than 16ohm V30s. Except the Marshall branded ones.

guys selling amps claiming how amazing the amp is and they WILL own another but they need the cash.... but they will take trades for so and so other amps :ROFLMAO: guess you dont need the cash that bad there champ

When I see people on forums constantly buying new gear and then flipping it within weeks I instantly think they can't actually play guitar worth a fuck

When I see people on forums constantly buying new gear and then flipping it within weeks I instantly think they can't actually play guitar worth a fuck
Hate to admit it, but I agree. Guys that constantly flip guitars and amps over and over...I chalk it up to "I'm unhappy with my playing and searching for a magical fix". How can you trust someones opinion on gear when they come in saying how their new guitar and amp is SO AMAZING, and predictibly trade it 2 weeks later.

- Owning more than one Ken Lawrence Explorer makes you an automatic douche.
- Posting gear pics with mood lighting like they're meant for a home decor magazine makes you a "gear collector, not player" douche.
- If you are a youtube gear reviewer and have a "logo" for yourself coupled with a 30 second "opening credit montage", congratulations! You think you are a "brand" but all you've become is a grade A douche. Gee, tell us again what a Tube Screamer can do! Most of us learned that in kindergarten. Will it Chug? Yes, your subscriber sycophants are happy to chug your cock all day long. You may need to change your catch phrase to Will you Gulp?
- Posting in OT with more regularity than in all other sub forums combined makes you not a douche, perhaps not even a serious guitar player anymore but a full time internet troll. Condolences, you've failed at life.

The person who typed this and whomever reads this are douches as well.

Last edited:
Agree or disagree, I love this. This is art and opinions matter.

Here's mine (and I have 2 very nice Gibsons:)) if the neck/neck pocket fit is really good and tight, a bolt-on can sustain better than a glue-joint guitar.

We all have them! Let's hear them for the second time round...

List a few things you know aren't popular opinions regarding rigs/gear/bands. Be as brutally honest and spicy as you'd like.

1. Tone is in the speakers and the pickups.
2. Dimebags tone sucks. The fizzy SS sound shredding petatonics never appealed to me. The tone sounds like he was compensating for years of hearing damage.
3. If you have a fake 6k+ epic guitar rig on stage, but secretly use a POD HD live, people will listen with their eyes and still compliment your tone.
4. Overdrive gain before an amp can ruin an amps character (but level is usually okay)
5. Amp plugins suck, the tiny bit of latency makes it impossible to use compared to a modeler or real amp. The high end alway sounds like static.

Your turn!
Speakers, pickups, and the BRIDGE of your guitar. Yes.

Back