Unpopular Rigpinions V2

Using cheap, modern tubes (especially Russian) in very expensive amps does not make sense to me.

Worst offender? SOLDANO! That brittle, harsh Sovtek high end with an amp using NASA spec tolerances???

5881's instead of the nearly endless supply of 6P3S-E genuine military power tubes that sound night and day better?

Much of the dreaded ice-pick is no speaker break in, cheap tubes, and low bias. Fight me! :)
Sovtek 5881 doesn't sound brittle or harsh in Naylor, so not a tube fault.
Modern tubes ... maybe its time to show this for example Rick at Wizard amp ans tell him do not load his 5000$ amps with JJ's :)

And than my opinion...NOS tubes esp. power tubes doesn't worth it at all. Preamp...sometimes in simple preamp design. Different, yes. Better or worse...not really. Pete Thorn tube shootout video shows it really nice.

Sovtek 5881 doesn't sound brittle or harsh in Naylor, so not a tube fault.
Modern tubes ... maybe its time to show this for example Rick at Wizard amp ans tell him do not load his 5000$ amps with JJ's :)

And than my opinion...NOS tubes esp. power tubes doesn't worth it at all. Preamp...sometimes in simple preamp design. Different, yes. Better or worse...not really. Pete Thorn tube shootout video shows it really nice.
Love Pete! He and Dave’s EVH digs are sacred!

JJ’s have had the nicest power tube sounds in my experience and I don’t have much experience with NOS power tubes. Pre’s are a different story!

I get why makers use what’s available. It’s what they have to work with so no shade on them at all.

In Soldano’s case, with such a huge supply of the real Russian military stuff I dunno why those weren’t used instead of the Sovtek copy. Hell, Dr. Z ships 6n14n’s in some of his production amps!

Back